4 дек. 2011 г.

Everything Is Illuminated

& Alex Perchov (by Eugene Hutz): I will be truthful and mention that before our rigid search... I had the opinion Jewish people were having shit between their brains. Primarily, this is because all I knew of Jewish people was that they paid Father very much currency in order to make vacations from America to Ukraine.

& Alex: This is my miniature brother, Igor. I am tutoring him to be a man of this world. For an example, I exhibited him a smutty magazine three days before.
    Igor: Why is it called sixty-nine?
    Alex: I explain it to him that this is because it was invented in the year 1969. I know this because my friend Grisha knows a friend of the nephew of the inventor.
    Igor: What did people do before 1969?
    Alex: He is a genius, my miniature brother.

& Alex: Grandfather became very melancholy... and also, he says, blind. His most recent employment was Heritage Tours... a business he started in 1950s... Mostly for aiding rich Jewish people to search for their dead families. It is a strange employment for Grandfather... as there is nothing he hates more than rich Jewish people or their dead families.

& Jonathan Safran Foer (by Elijah Wood): Are you sure he’s okay?
    Alex: Grandfather!
    Grandfather: Shut up! I’m blind, not deaf. I heard you the first time!
    Jonathan: What does he say?
    Alex: He says, ’Okey-dokey, we will go now.’

& Jonathan: Why do you call her that?
    Alex: What?
    Jonathan: Sammy Davis Jr. Jr.
    Alex: Because Sammy Davis Jr. was Grandfather’s most beloved singer. You know, The Candy Man. The Negro from the Rat Pack.
    Jonathan: And a Jew.
    Alex: What?!
    Jonathan: Yeah, he was a Jew. You didn’t know that?
    Alex: Grandfather, the Jew says that Sammy Davis Jr. is Jewish.
    Grandfather: The bitch?
    Alex: Not Jr. Jr., Jr. the singer.
    Grandfather: That’s bullshit!
    Alex: Grandfather informs me that this is not possible.
    Jonathan: Of course it is. He converted. He’s the most famous black Jew in America.
    Alex: Please tell me, is the Shaq also the Jew?
    Jonathan: Who?
    Alex: Shaquille O’Neal, the Los Angeles Laker.
    Jonathan: No.
    Alex: And Michael Jackson?
    Jonathan: No, definitely not a Jew.


& Alex: And what do you collect?
    Jonathan: Things... Family things.
    Alex: It is a good career, yes?
    Jonathan: No, it’s not a career. It’s just something I do.
    Alex: Why?
    Jonathan: I don’t know. Why does anybody do anything? It’s just something to do.
    Alex: I understand. I also enjoy writing... but I truly feel I was born to be accountant.

& Jonathan: Are we close?
    Alex: The Jew wants to know if we are close.
    Grandfather: Tell him to shut the hell up!
    Alex: Grandfather says we’re very proximal. He says it will not be long until we get to the superway to Lutsk.
    Jonathan: And from there?
    Alex: How long from here to Lutsk?
    Grandfather: Perhaps you would like me to stop the car... and you two can fuck yourselves to Lutsk!
    Jonathan: What did he say?
    Alex: Grandfather says you should look out the window at the premium countryside.

& Jonathan: What is it?
    Alex: Soviets.
    Jonathan: What happened?
    Alex: Independence.

& Alex: How much currency would a first-rate accountant receive in America?
    Jonathan: I don’t know. A lot, probably, if he or she is good.
    Alex: She?!
    Jonathan: Or he.
    Alex: Are there Negro accountants?
    Jonathan: Yes, there are African-American accountants... but you don’t want to use that word.
    Alex: And homosexual accountants?
    Jonathan: There are homosexual everythings. There are homosexual garbage men.
    Alex: And how much currency would Negro homosexual accountant receive?
    Jonathan: You shouldn’t use that word.
    Alex: Which word?
    Jonathan: The N-word. It’s not the N-word, but...
    Alex: Negro?
    Jonathan: Yeah, that one.
    Alex: But I dig them all the way. They are premium people.
    Jonathan: It’s that word, though. You’re not supposed to use that word.
    Alex: What is wrong with the Negroes?

& Alex: Are you carnal very often?
    Jonathan: What?
    Alex: With American girls, you make sex often?
    Jonathan: Not really. Do you?
    Alex: I inquired headmost. Do you?

& Alex: Why do you do this?
    Jonathan: Maybe sometimes I’m afraid I’ll forget.

--
+ quotes on the Imdb.

+ compilation of clips of the Gogos Bordello with Eugene Hutz (aka Alex Perchov).

__ Why do you do this? — Maybe sometimes I’m afraid I’ll forget.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий