25 мая 2013 г.

The Moor

The Borgias 1×3

& Borgia: Queen Isabella has rather precipitously expelled all the Jews from Spain... the Murranos, as they once dared to call us.
    Juan: They still insult us thus!
    Borgia: Well, I can assure you, my dear son, there’s not one drop of Jewish blood in you. But as a stranger in a foreign land myself, I... sympathize with their plight.
    Cesare: “The chosen people...”
    Borgia: Once more in search of a home.

& Borgia: They clamour to get into our state. And they offer to pay... handsomely.
    Cesare: There will be objections.
    Borgia: Well, there always are. But I want my papacy to be like Joseph’s coat of many colors. And Jesus Christ, our Saviour, was, after all, a Jew.
    Juan: He was also killed by Jews, Father.
    Borgia: Are you sure? I thought he was crucified by Romans...

& Cesare: I am embarrassed to admit I’ve never seen a garrote.
    Micheletto: It is just a cheese cutter, my lord.

& Juan: My father deems Leonardo too expensive.
    Pinturicchio: And, my lord, he rarely finishes.
    Juan: He would have finished for me! But we will show that Milanese mirror painter what true highlights should look like.

& Borgia: You will be made cardinal tomorrow. And you must beware that sin St. Isidore calls the greatest of all, which only the pope can forgive.
    Cesare: I believe it is called despair, Father.
    Borgia: You must never, ever despair.


& Lucrezia: What is the difference, Djem, between wife and concubine?
    Djem: No difference, really. Ah, you can beat a wife, but not kill her.
    Lucrezia: You can kill a concubine?
    Djem: If she displeases you. You can kill a wife too, but the displeasure must be grave.

& Lucrezia: I will not be beaten, Djem!
    Djem: No. You are the pope's daughter. You are the most beautiful treasure this Vatican contains.

& Borgia: We are awash with suitors.
    Cesare: Is this good news?
    Borgia: Well, only four are remotely suitable.
    Cesare: So few?
    Borgia: Every prince in Christendom wants to make suit. But of the Italians... and I think you’ll agree, only an Italian makes strategic sense...
    Cesare: Colonna. Sforza. Medici. D’Este. What of Alfonso of Naples?
    Borgia: Oh... He would be ideal.

& Djem: Do not worry, my Christian brother. I would never do you harm. I love you.

& Cesare: 40,000 ducats.
    Borgia: If he lives... If he dies, and his body is delivered to his brother, who hates and fears him, 400,000.

& Lucrezia: I shall become a nun. For I shall never love a husband as I love you, Cesare.
    Cesare: I am afraid, dear Sis, that the pope does not ask you to love your future husband; merely to marry him.
    Lucrezia: So, love and marriage... Are they incompatible?
    Cesare: No. But I have been told that one does not imply the other.
    Lucrezia: Is that not sad, Cesare?
    Cesare: Most things in life prove to be sad, Sis.

--
On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий