21 мая 2013 г.

The Crash

Mad Men 6×8

& Sylvia: I don’t think you understand. Look, I’m too old to say this was a mistake, but I want you to try and be happy.
    Don: About what?
    Sylvia: That you got away with it. When you start something like this, it takes a lot of convincing. It’s all about whether or not the other person has as much to lose as you do, because you want to be able to trust them when it’s over. And right now I’m wondering how I ever trusted you. I don’t really have a choice, do I, because you’ve got me. So if you ever really cared about me at all, knock it off!

& Stan: How old was he?
    Roger: Older than you, younger than me. You either get used to it or stop thinking about it.

& Dr. Hecht: You’re exhausted. I’ll need you to turn around and drop your pants. This goes in the gluteus.
    Don: What is it?
    Dr. Hecht: It’s an energy serum.
    Don: Oh? What’s in it?
    Dr. Hecht: It’s proprietary. But all you need to know is it’s a complex vitamin superdose. It’s basically my own combination of B vitamins and a mild stimulant. You have a heart condition?
    Don: No. I thought you said it was mild. What does it do?
    Dr. Hecht: Well, a lot of things. But I think it’ll give you what Jim Cutler says you need... 24 to 72 hours of uninterrupted creative focus, energy, and confidence.
Ω Oh-oh. Something has to happen.

& Dr. Hecht: All anybody wants to know is what are you gonna call this place? “SCDPCGC”? That’s a mouthful.

& Ken: You think you’ll have new work on Monday?
    Don: I’ll have 15 campaigns for you by then! But you have to get me in a room so I can look them in the eye. The timbre of my voice is as important as the content. I don’t know whether I’ll be forceful or submissive, but I must be there in the flesh.
    Ken: You understand that I have no power whatsoever?
    Don: That’s not true. Not if they like you.
    Ken: Oh, they like me all right. I’m their favorite toy.
    Don: That’s your job.
    Ken: It’s my job to take them to dinner at 80 miles an hour. It’s my job to stop a mile from the restaurant so they can have five pounds of crab legs and three bottles of beer apiece and then go get prime rib. It’s my job to go hunting so they can fire off their guns an inch from my ear and laugh when I get startled because it’s my job.
    Don: Where’d you learn that?
    Ken: My mother... No, my first girlfriend.
Ω Yo. Such a tap dance. Bravo, Ken!

& Don: How’s it going?
    Peggy: What’s going on?
    Don: I know you’re all feeling the darkness here today. But there’s no reason to give in. No matter what you’ve heard, this process will not take years. In my heart I know we cannot be defeated because there is an answer that will open the door. There is a way around this system. This is a test of our patience and commitment. One great idea can win someone over.
    Peggy: Do you have any idea what the idea is?
    Don: No. But I’m not gonna stop looking.
Ω Wow. Such a performance. Bravo, Don!


& Stan: I did it! I’ve got 666 ideas.
    Michael: I’m wasting my Saturday with lunatics.

& Wendy: I’m here to make you feel better.
    Don: I feel great, but I’m on a deadline.
    Wendy: “Does someone love me?”
    Don: What?
    Wendy: That’s what your question was.
    Don: Why would you say that?
    Wendy: That’s everyone’s question.

& Bobby: Are we allowed to watch TV?
    Sally: I think she’s lying.
    Bobby: Are we Negroes?

& Don: What is that thing that draws them? ... It’s a history. And it may not even be with that person, but it’s... it’s like a... well, it’s bigger than that.
    Michael: And that makes them buy a car?
    Don: If this strategy is successful, it’s way bigger than a car. It’s everything. I keep thinking about the basic principle of advertising. There’s entertainment and you stick the ad in the middle of the entertainment like a little respite. It’s a bargain. They’re getting the entertainment for free. All they have to do is listen to the message. But what if they don’t take the bargain at all?.. What if they’re suddenly bored of the entertainment?.. What if they don’t- what if they turn off the TV?
    Michael: You gotta get your foot in the door.
    Don: Exactly! So, how do I do that? Let’s say I get her face to face. How do I capture her imagination? I have a sentence, maybe two.
    Peggy: Who’s “her”?
    Michael: Promise them everything. You know, you’re gonna change their life. You’re gonna take away their pain.
    Don: That’s good.
    Michael: Then you hit ’em with the one-two punch.
    Don: What’s the answer to all of life’s problems?
    Michael: A Chevy.
    Don: No, it’s not.
    Michael: Then it’s oatmeal?
    Don: No.
    Peggy: What have you been doing the last three days? Have you been working on Chevy at all?
    Don: I gotta go.

& Peggy: You wanna get someone in here who can draw?
    Don: No, I don’t have time for art.
    Michael: He’s happy. Now we can relax.

& Sylvia: How are you?
    Don: Busy.

& Don: Call me around 1970 when they’re ready to make an ad.
    Ted: What are you talking about? I can’t do this by myself.
    Don: I’m sorry, Ted. But every time we get a car, this place turns into a whorehouse.

--
On the IMDb

Σ Such a surprising episode.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий