8 июл. 2021 г.

Gaslight (1944)

Paula Alquist: Signore Guardi... I've tried. I've worked hard, but it's no use. I haven't the voice, have I?
Signore Guardi: The trouble is not in your voice alone. Your heart is not in your singing anymore. Each time you come here now, you look happier, and you sing worse. Tell me, Paula... You're in love?

Signore Guardi: Now there is a chance to forget tragedy, my child. Take it. Free yourself from the past, and forget your singing, too, for a while. Happiness is better than art.

Gregory Anton: Why do you still hesitate, Paula?
Paula Alquist: But I don't know you. I don't know anything about you.
Gregory Anton: Nor I about you, but I want to marry you. Are you afraid?
Paula Alquist: I think I am a little.
Gregory Anton: Of me?
Paula Alquist: No. No, never, but... But of happiness. I haven't had a lot, Gregory, and I feel like I can't trust it.

Miss Thwaites: Oh, my goodness! Oh, good gracious! Oh, it's so exciting.
Paula Alquist: Your book?
Miss Thwaites: Yes. It's all about a girl who marries a man, and what do you think? He's got 6 wives buried in the cellar.
Paula Alquist: That seems a lot.
Miss Thwaites: Yes, and I'm only on page 200, so I'm sure there's still more to come. It's a wonderful book!
Paula Alquist: Oh, it sounds a little gruesome.
Miss Thwaites: Yes. Well, I'm afraid I enjoy a good murder now and then. My brother always calls me bloodthirsty Bessie. Have a biscuit, dear.

Miss Thwaites: [Thornton Square...] You know, we had a real live murder there.
Paula Alquist: Yes. I... I'd heard of it.
Miss Thwaites: Unfortunately, it's before I went to live there, just a year before... 10 years ago at number 9, a famous singer called Alice Alquist. Have another biscuit, dear.

Miss Thwaites: Come and see me if you're ever in London. ... And I'll point out the window of the room in number 9 where it happened. You can see it from my drawing room.

Gregory Anton: What house?
Paula Alquist: 9 Thornton Square. ... Oh, that house comes into my dreams sometimes, a house of horror.

Paula Alquist: Will you light the gas, please?

Paula Alquist: I don't know who he is.
Gregory Anton: Yet you smiled at him. Why?
Paula Alquist: I tell you, I wasn't thinking. I don't know why I did it.
Gregory Anton: Like the other things...
Paula Alquist: What other things?
Gregory Anton: Oh, nothing. Only, I've been noticing, Paula, that... You've been forgetful lately.
Paula: Forgetful?
Gregory Anton: Well, losing things and... Oh, now, don't look so worried, Paula. It's nothing. You get tired, and...
Paula Alquist: Yes. That's probably what it is. I get tired. I'm tired now. Can't we go home?

Miss Thwaites: Now do you see what I mean? Goes out, goes back, goes in. Odd. Definitely odd.

Paula Alquist: Gregory, if it was I who took that picture down...
Gregory Anton: If?
Paula Alquist: If it was I who took it down the other times, if I do all these senseless, meaningless things... It's so meaningless. Why should I take a picture down? Oh, then I don't know what I do anymore.
Gregory Anton: I know, Paula. That's just the trouble.
Paula Alquist: But then if that's true, then you must be gentle with me. You must bear with me, please. Oh, please, Gregory, please.

Gregory Anton: If I could only get inside that brain of yours and understand what makes you do these crazy, twisted things...
Paula Alquist: Gregory, are you trying to tell me I am insane?
Gregory Anton: That's what I'm trying not to tell myself.

Paula Alquist: He said I was going out of my mind!
Brian Cameron: You're not going out of your mind. You're slowly and systematically being driven out of your mind.

Paula Alquist: Oh, if that were true, then from the beginning, there would have been nothing. Nothing real from the beginning.
Brian Cameron: I'm sorry to take everything away from you like this... But you must believe me. Your whole life depends on what you're going to do now... nothing less than your whole life.

Brian Cameron: This night will be a long night. But it will end. It's starting to clear.
Paula Alquist: In the morning, when the sun rises, sometimes it's hard to believe there ever was a night.
Brian Cameron: You'll find that, too. Let me come here and see you and talk to you. Perhaps I can help somehow.
Paula Alquist: You're very kind.
Miss Thwaites: Well!


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий