22 февр. 2012 г.

Rome 2x7

Death Mask

& Servilia: Atia of the Julii, I call for justice.

& Mark Antony: You tell your eminent friends to shut their mouths. Tell them to go look on Cicero’s hands in the Forum and remember what happens to those that prattle of tyranny.

& Mark Antony: What are you proposing?
    Octavian: I suggest we divide the territory of Rome into three. Each one of us shall assume command of one region.
    Mark Antony: ... Sounds reasonable. Who gets what?
    Octavian: I haven’t considered that yet.

& Pullo: This was a mistake. This never happens again.
    Gaia: Shame. You and me go nicely together, don’t you think?

& Newsreader: All citizens be aware that the vassal Prince Herod, Tetrarch of Galilee, has come to the city. By order of the Triumvirate, during his residence here, all mockery of Jews and their one God shall be kept to an appropriate minimum.

& Mark Antony: That is what I call a good morning’s work.
    Posca: Indeed. A good morning’s work. May I inquire what my share will be?
    Mark Antony: Share? Share of what?
    Posca: Of Herod’s gift.
    Mark Antony: What gift? {...} Let me be clear. There was no gift. Herod came here today to discuss administrative issues of taxes on olive groves, of border defenses against the Parthians. There was no gift.


& Levi: He’s worse than his father. He’ll make our people slaves and idolaters. He should die. The bastard should die!
    Timon: Well, it would be a mitzvah, no doubt.
    Levi: I’m serious.
    Timon: Come on. Us?
    Levi: If not us, then who? Herod is here. We are here. The future of our people is in our hands.

& Octavian: This arrangement of ours cannot work if you seek every opportunity to aggrandize* yourself at my expense.
    Mark Antony: Aggrandize myself? This from the boy who... whose so-called father has been declared a god.
    Octavian: An honor he well deserves.
    Mark Antony: You only did it so that you might be known as the son of a god. You have no accomplishments of your own, so you seek to borrow the glory of others.

& Mark Antony: I’ll have the newsreader say something, “Renewed vows of amity” and so forth.
    Atia: No one believes what the newsreader says.
    Octavian: You have some notion you wish to suggest?
    Atia: I do. If a marriage was to happen between our two houses... no one could doubt all was well.
    Mark Antony: Well, I don’t care if all Italy burns, I’ll not marry him.

& Atia: What?
    Octavian: If we are to discuss a marriage contract, it’s inappropriate for a woman to be present.
    Atia: Yes, sorry. Carry on. Be sure to leave enough time for my dressmaker to make me something nice.

& Agrippa: Why did Octavian do this?
    Maecenas: Simple. Octavia is more likely to provide children. And what is marriage, if not a machine for the production of babies?

& Octavian: Please try to see beyond your own desires. I couldn’t very well let you marry Antony. Everybody knows you were lovers. The public would assume it was a marriage of mere sentiment, of lust*. Whereas this match is clearly a political statement of unity.

& Mark Antony: You cannot stay in here. Our guests will wonder where you are.
    Atia: Well, our guests can go and fuck themselves!

& Mark Antony: There was no choice. Your son would have it no other way.
    Atia: And he is your master?
    Mark Antony: He is my political partner. Policy dictates that...
    Atia: Policy be damned. Speak plain. You love power more than you love me.
    Mark Antony: They are two completely different things. This marriage has nothing to do with us. It changes nothing. Love, and you and I... It changes nothing.

--
aggrandize — возвеличивать
lust — похоть; вожделение; страсть

+ on Imdb.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий