9 февр. 2012 г.

A Dangerous Method

& Carl Jung: What I don’t understand is why Freud, having proposed this radical therapeutic idea, this talking cure, this psychoanalysis, then lets years go by without giving even the barest outline of his clinical procedures?

& Emma Jung: Presumably he uses the method on his patients?
    Jung: I’ve no idea.
    Emma: So might you be the first doctor to try this out?
    Jung: It’s possible.
    Emma: Why don’t you write and ask him?
    Jung: I don’t know him.

& Herr Direktor: What are your particular interests?
    Sabina Spielrein: Suicide... Interplanetary travel.

& Emma: I’m sorry.
    Jung: Sorry?
    Emma: I promised you a son on Christmas Day. And here she is a day late and the wrong sex.

& Jung: Perhaps the terms themselves should be reviewed. If, for instance, we could come up with some milder term than “libido”, we might not encounter such emotional resistance. It would make the teaching side of things much easier.
    Sigmund Freud: Is euphemism a good idea? Once they work out what we actually mean, they’ll be just as appalled as ever.
    Jung: I take your point, but I still think it’s worth trying to sweeten the pill... when it comes to questions of sexuality.
    Freud: And, by the way, please don’t feel you have to restrain yourself here. My family are all veterans of the most unsuitable topics of mealtime conversation.

& Jung: She’s a walking advertisement for the effectiveness of psychoanalysis.
    Freud: Psychoanalysis.
    Jung: Oh?
    Freud: It’s more logical... And it sounds better.

& Jung: The masochistic aspects of her condition are much more deeply rooted... than any anal fixations we may have uncovered.
    Freud: The two are intimately connected.
    Jung: I can only tell you that she is rather disorganized, emotionally generous and exceptionally idealistic.
    Freud: Well, perhaps it’s a Russian thing.

& Jung: But might that not be caused by your insistence on the exclusively... sexual interpretation of the clinical material?
    Freud: All I’m doing is pointing out... what experience indicates to me must be the truth. And I can assure you that in a hundred year’s time, our work will still be rejected.

& Freud: Columbus, you know, had no idea what country he’d discovered. Like him, I’m in the dark. All I know is I’ve set foot on the shore and the country exists.
    Jung: I think of you more as Galileo. And your opponents as those who condemned him, while refusing even to put their eye to his telescope.
    Freud: In any event, I have simply opened a door. It’s for the young men like yourself to walk through it.

& Freud: There’s the added difficulty, more ammunition for our enemies, that all of us here in Vienna, in our psychoanalytical circle, are Jews.
    Jung: I don’t see what difference that makes.
    Freud: That, if I may say so, is an exquisitely Protestant remark.

& Freud: I wonder if you’re aware of the fact... that our conversation has so far lasted... 13 hours?

& Jung: There must be more than one hinge* into the universe!

& Jung: So you’re... not a believer in monogamy?
    Otto Gross: For a neurotic like myself, I can’t possibly imagine a more stressful concept.

& Otto: If there is one thing I’ve learned in my short life... is this... never repress anything.

& Jung: You think Freud’s right? You think all neurosis is of exclusively sexual origin?
    Otto: I think Freud’s obsession with sex probably has a great deal... to do with the fact that he never gets any.


& Otto: It seems to me, a measure of the true perversity of the human race, that one of its very few reliably pleasurable activities... should be the subject of so much hysteria and repression.
    Jung: But not to repress yourself... is to unleash all kinds of dangerous and destructive forces.
    Otto: Our job... is to make our patients capable of freedom.
    Jung: I’ve heard it said, that you helped one of your patients to kill herself.
    Otto: She was resolutely suicidal. I just explained, how she could do it without botching* it. Then I asked her if she didn’t prefer the idea of becoming my lover... She opted for both.
    Jung: That can’t be what we want for our patients.
    Otto: Freedom is freedom.

& Otto: Just take her to some secluded* spot and thrash* her to within an inch of her life. That’s clearly what she wants. How can you deny her such a simple pleasure?
    Jung: Pleasure is never simple, as you very well know.
    Otto: It is. Of course it is. Until we decide to complicate it. What my father calls maturity. What I call surrender.
    Jung: Surrender, for me, would be to give in to these urges.
    Otto: Then surrender. It doesn’t matter what you call it as long as you don’t let the experience escape. That’s my prescription.

& Jung: What I’m afraid of is his power to convince me. On the subject of monogamy, for example. Why should we put so much frantic effort... into suppressing our most basic natural instincts?
    Sabina: I don’t know. You tell me.

& Sabina: Who is it?
    Jung: A friend.

& Sabina: Don’t you love me anymore?
    Jung: Only as your physician.

& Jung: Why is this so important to you?
    Sabina: I want him to take me as his patient.
    Jung: Does it have to be him?
    Sabina: It has to be him.

& Freud: I’ve always been in two minds about America. Maybe we made a foolish error. Do they really want us there?
    — They postponed the Congress for 2 months, so that you could attend. Surely that gives you some indication.

& Freud: I had a most elaborate dream last night. Particularly rich.
    Jung: Let’s hear it.
    Freud: I’d love to tell you... but I don’t think I should.
    Jung: Why ever not?
    Freud: I wouldn’t want to risk my authority.

& Freud: You think they know we’re on our way, bringing them the plague?

& Freud: In general, I don’t care if a man believes in Rama, Marx or Aphrodite, as long as he keeps it out of the consulting room.
    Sabina: Is that what’s at the bottom of your dispute with Dr. Jung?
    Freud: I have no dispute with Dr. Jung. I was simply mistaken about him. I thought he was going to be able to carry our work forward after I was gone. I didn’t bargain for all that second-rate mysticism and self-aggrandizing* shamanism. Nor did I realize he could be so brutal and sanctimonious*.

& Sabina: He’s trying to find some way forward... so that we don’t just have to tell our patients, “This is why you are the way you are.” He wants to be able to say, “We can show you what it is you might want to become”.
    Freud: Playing God, in other words. We have no right to do that. The world is as it is. Understanding and accepting that is the way to psychic health. What good can we do if our aim is simply to replace one delusion with another?

& Freud: I’m afraid your idea of a mystical union with a blond Siegfried... was inevitably doomed. Put not your trust in Aryans. We’re Jews, my dear Miss Spielrein, and Jews we will always be.

& Freud: How sweet... it must be to die.

& Jung: I don’t want to just open a door... and show the patient his illness, squatting there like a toad. I want to try and find a way, to help the patient reinvent himself. To send him off on a journey at the end of which is waiting... the person he was always intended to be.

--
hinge — стержень; петля; шарнир; крюк; суть
botch — портить; делать небрежно
secluded — уединенный; укромный
thrash — бить; молотить; пороть; отлупить; взгреть
aggrandizing — превозносящее
sanctimonious — ханжеский; лицемерный

+ quotes on the Imdb.

__ Keira Knightley for President Oscar!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий