24 нояб. 2017 г.

The Wizard of Lies

Mark: How could you do this?
Bernie: I just couldn't stop...
Mark: Bullshit.
Bernie: It got bigger and bigger and it just wouldn't stop.
Mark: Bullshit.
Bernie: I didn't mean for it to get like this.

Bernie: I explained to them that it wasn't malicious. That when I started this problem, or... this crime, that it was something that I thought I would be able to work my way out of. But that became impossible. The harder I tried, the deeper I dug myself into a hole. But it comes down to one thing. I refused to accept the fact, could not accept the fact that for once in my life I had failed. I couldn't... I couldn't admit that failure.
Diana: And what was that failure?

FBI Agent: So you were making money off of the trades.
Bernie: There were no trades.
FBI Agent: What do you mean there were no trades?
Bernie: I made them up.
FBI Agent: Weren't there statements?
Bernie: Every month. They were fake. Purchase dates, they were fake. Shares, they were fake. Options, they were fake. Returns, they were fake.
FBI Agent: So when was the last trade you executed?
Bernie: ... Fifteen years ago.
FBI Agent: Who else knew?
Bernie: I acted alone.

Bernie: People here always ask me how come I never ran. But the truth is it didn't even occur to me. I guess it's because I never thought of what I was doing was stealing.
Diana: Well, it was a $65 billion Ponzi scheme. People lost their life savings, they lost their homes. Their lives were destroyed. You didn't think of that as stealing?


Diana: People felt safe with you. And yet, you were betraying them all.
Bernie: Well, but these people, you know, they had a little greed in them, too... and they didn't wanna look too hard. They looked just far enough. So they're accomplices in some way, too...
Diana: Accomplices because they trusted you?....
Bernie: Yeah, but there's a lack of honesty on their behalf, an unwillingness to take responsibility for their behavior...

Bernie: Now that I think of it... My greatest failure, or maybe it's my greatest weakness, is I've always wanted to please people. And that's... That's one that can get you into trouble.

Bernie: Why would you kill yourself?
Ruth: Because I'm tired of being hated. I don't even understand it.

Bernie: ... I gave you a fucking business to run. Are you not happy with that? Was that not good enough for you?
Mark: It is definitely good enough for me, Dad. I'm just trying...
Bernie: Well, then shut the fuck up and give me a little fucking gratitude! Say, "I'm... Thanks, Dad." Can't you do that?! What do you think? The whole fucking world owes you something? The whole fucking world owes you nothing! You gotta work for it, and I always say this with your mother. This is the problem with having money, an education. Nothing is earned. You want something, you gotta fucking work for it!

Judge Denny Chin: The message must be sent that Mr. Madoffs crimes were extraordinarily evil. This kind of irresponsible manipulation of the system takes a staggering human toll. Mr. Madoff will get what he deserves and will be punished according to his moral culpabilities.
    Mr. Madoff, please stand.
    It is the judgment of this court that the defendant, Bernard L. Madoff, shall be and hereby is sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 150 years.
.... As a technical matter, the sentence must be expressed in months. 150 years is equivalent to 1,800 months.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий