14 июл. 2016 г.

Queen of the Desert

& Churchill: ..The French had no problem with that?
    Thompson: The French have problems with everything. That’s their nature.
    Churchill: And the big portions?
    Thompson: Once I conceeded the control over Syria and Lebanon to them it got easier.

& Thompson: Mr Churchill, do you really want Lebanon for the British Empire? It’s a mess grown in a 1,000 years that no one will ever disentangle. Syria might pose a bigger problem. Sunni, Shiite, Alawis, Druze, Christian, all at each other’s throats. And up North, the Kurds... Let the French deal with the Kurds. Or let the French try to deal with the Kurds. And let them fail.

& Churchill: And how do we delineate the borders?
    Thompson: That we’ll formalize later.
    Churchill: No. This is the moment. It has to be now.

& Churchill: East is not fly. Who knows best about tribes? Lineages, affiliations, rivalries. Who knows best about Bedouin tribes? And who is going to rule over all this? We are talking to potential future kings. Who knows the candidates? Who knows them best?
    Lawrence: The woman. Gertrude.
    Churchill: Gertrude who?
    Thompson: A silly bitch. It’s a chattering windbag of conceited, gushing, heavychested manwoman, a globetrotting, rumpwagging, blethering ass!

& Henry Cadogan: I love your smile. But many men in love with a woman’s smile have made the mistake of marrying the whole girl. Here’s the whole girl.

& Gertrude Bell: I shall return home, I shall speak to my father.
    Henry Cadogan: Love is lawless. Don’t go.


& Gertrude: And what does «T.E.» stand for?
    Lawrence: T.E. stands for Edward Thomas. I despise both names. They’re an abomination. Please just call me Lawrence.
    Gertrude: Will do, Lawrence.

& Gertrude: ’We are traveling across the vast expanse of Bedouin lands. And my eyes are opening to the complexity of tribal relations here. Fattuh ... says the most volatile conflict is between the Druze and the Beni Sakhr.’ ...
    Fattuh: There’s no mercy between Druze and Beni Sakhr. If two of them meet, only one survives.

& Gertrude: I’m a writer. I write about the beauty of the land and its people.
    Sheik: So, you’re a poet.
    Gertrude: In a way, but in fact, I do not describe... what I see... I just name its beauty. Much in the vein of the... Roman poet Virgil.
    Sheik: He’s an Aeneid.
    Gertrude: Yes. I’m so sorry, but how does the Sheik of the Druze know about Virgil?

& Gertrude: In short... no.
    Thompson: A blunt no.
    Gertrude: Correct. A blunt no.

& Thompson: What is it then that attracts you to the Bedouin out there?
    Gertrude: It is something that you and your world would never understand. It’s their freedom. It’s their dignity. It’s their poetry of life.

& Charles Doughty-Wylie: It is the most unbearable loneliness to be married unhappily.

& Charles: I’d rather put a bullet in my head... than live without you.

& Charles: I do not believe it, but... Love is a tyrant.

& Lawrence: There are no men like me and no women like you, of course. You’ve become some kind of queen.
    Gertrude: No, just a woman who misses her man.

& Reporter 1: Mr. Churchill, what are you expecting from the conference?
    Churchill: Boys, let’s face it... a new order in the Arab World.

& Lawrence: Gertrude, we have to play the game. Faisal is shrude, he’s cunning, he’s ruthless.
    Gertrude: But he seems to be the right one for this time in history. Let’s be sincere...
    Lawrence: It’s dangerous to be sincere. Unless you’re also stupid.

& Gertrude: England needs to get out its colonies sooner rather than later.

& Faical: No one in the Western world knows the heart of a Bedouin better than you.
    Abdullah: The Bedouins call you... «the noble lady».
    Gertrude: I am honored.
    Faical: And we agree with those who call you «the mother of the faithful». A title given to the wife of the Prophet, peace upon him.
    Gertrude: In the face of two direct descendants of the Prophet and in the face of the people of the desert, I am not worthy of that honor.

& Gertrude: You will soon be king.
    Faical: Over whom?
    Gertrude: Over the people I love.

& Abdullah: What makes an English woman love us so much?
    Gertrude: I have a trusted man, from Homs. He is... Well, he saved my life. Many, many times in the desert. He has an old mother and when she speaks to him— she has five sons— she says... ’Fattuh... Fattuh, whom I entrust to bury me.’ And then she speaks of the weather, she speaks of the God and... and for that alone... for him... you will always have my heart. And now, with your permission, I will leave.

Faical: How could she know that we will be kings?
    Abdullah: She is the maker of kings. She is the crowned queen of the desert.

--
On the IMDb

Σ Impressive. But someone needs to check the facts.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий