18 янв. 2019 г.

No Highway (1951)

Major Pearl: All boffins are a bit crackers, but I suppose he's the worst.

Theodore Honey: Well, to put it as simply as I can. The purpose of my work has been to arrive at an end result... For the original theoretical hypotheses... Of Kerslinger of Bale and Schilgarde of Uppsala. In which they postulate vibration as a source of energy. I reasoned that since this energy does not appear in any of the ordinary forms... such as heat or electrical potential, it must be absorbed by the metal itself... And that sufficient absorption would result in nuclear fission of the aluminum atom... in an isotopic form with crystalline affinities.
Dennis Scott: I see.
Theodore Honey: And that means the tail will fall off.
Dennis Scott: Exactly.

Elspeth Honey: It's very hard being a scientist. One has to think a great deal. The world would have made scarcely any progress at all if it hadn't been for scientists.
Dennis Scott: I see. The scientists do the thinking for the world, and the rest of us just live in it, is that it?
Elspeth Honey: Yes.

Dennis Scott: Well, what else do you like to do? Don't you ever play games?
Elspeth Honey: Oh, yes. We nearly always do after dinner. We have a schedule for it.
Dennis Scott: Sch... Oh, yeah. What sort of games do you play?
Elspeth Honey: Oh, like about what things are pentamerous.
Dennis Scott: Penta... Oh, how do you play that?
Elspeth Honey: You take turns in finding things that have five of everything... Until one of you can't find any more. Then he loses. It's part of the science of numerics.

Dennis Scott: What other games do you play?
Elspeth Honey: Oh well there's pyramidology.
Dennis Scott: Pyramid-?
Elspeth Honey: Ology.
Dennis Scott: Pyramidology...
Elspeth Honey: That's the science of the Great Pyramid. My father made it up too, the game I mean, here it is, excuse me. It was built in the year 3,234 B.C., it's very scientific, it was built in direct relationship to the stars, so it has an astronomical significance. It's the only known architectural example of squaring the circle. That is the area of the base is directly equal to that of a circle, but the height of the structure of its radius. It has the most wonderful maximal.

Theodore Honey: You don't understand. I'm a scientist. And science is very exacting. It requires the utmost concentration. I can't be concerned about people. I... why, if a doctor is trying to find out a cure for a disease. What would happen if he let himself be upset about everybody that got sick and died? He'd never get any work done at all. People must be someone else's concern. I can't let it be mine, Mr. Scott.


Sir John: One thing you do know: A boffin has to be a bit balmy to be a boffin. The line between genius and being just plain crackers is so thin, you never know which side you're on, nor when they've crossed it either. Tchaikovsky, I'm told, one day began to eat raw goldfish. And Molière discovered suddenly that he was better off standing on his head...

Theodore Honey: I'm rather afraid the tail may drop off at any moment. Now, when that happens, there may be...
Monica Teasdale: Is that so?
Theodore Honey: Yes. When that happens, there may be a little time, so go to the men's room and sit on the floor. The partition is very rigid because the stove is bolted to the floor on the other side. Now, if you survive the first impact, try to get out of the escape hatch and get to a life raft. They may pick you up when they search for us in the morning.
Monica Teasdale: That's certainly very interesting... Go to the men's room.
Theodore Honey: Yes.
Monica Teasdale: Sit on the floor...

Theodore Honey: I think I know more about this than either you or the captain. I think I know what's going to happen. If it does, at this altitude, there'll be less than three minutes before we hit the water. Now, there's one place in this airplane... where a person would have a chance to survive that impact...

Monica Teasdale: Listen, dear. The scientist says this plane is going to crash. The captain says it isn't. Your vote doesn't count, because you have to string along with the captain. That leaves it a tie.

Theodore Honey: I think we're quite near to the point of no return anyway.
Monica Teasdale: The point of no return?
Theodore Honey: That's where it's as short to go on as it is to turn back.
Monica Teasdale: Oh. I thought you meant something else.

Monica Teasdale: Maybe Providence is trying to tell me something. Maybe it took a first-class high dive into the middle of the Atlantic to make me quit. But maybe I'd rather it ended with a big splash.

Monica Teasdale: You scientists are always so busy figuring out new things. Why don't you figure out a mascara that won't run?
Theodore Honey: Oh, well, I'm afraid that's a little out of my field.

Monica Teasdale: Quite a night, Mr. Honey. I guess you must have multiplied someplace where you should have divided.

Theodore Honey: I wish people didn't think they knew everything.

Elspeth Honey: It's... it's like Christmas, only much more so.

Monica Teasdale: That's one thing you learn in my business... how to get off.

Theodore Honey: I'll sit down and listen to them say that I'm insane because of what I did in Gander. And perhaps I am. I-I'm not sure, you know. A qualified psychiatrist will testify to that. I talked to three of them this afternoon. They... But they showed me a page of ink blots and asked me... if it reminded me of elephants or tigers. Well, I... it didn't remind me of elephants or ti... it was just ink blots.

Elspeth Honey: It's-it's like Christmas... everybody very nice to everybody else for a little while, but then it doesn't last. Why is that, father?

--
++ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий