1 авг. 2014 г.

The 214s

Halt and Catch Fire 1×8

& Gordon: Anyone who means anything throws a lavish party. At COMDEX, lavish equals shrimp.

& MacMillan: C-23? Thank you! Commodore, Tandy, Cardiff Electric...
    Gordon: That is huge, that is huge. It’s so big, I’m telling you. I’ve been there.

& Gordon: Oh, I gotta figure out what suit I need to bring. Look, I know you think I look good in blue, but I don’t want to risk anyone thinking I’m with IBM, you know?

& Bosworth: Morning, Maylene.
    Maylene: John...
    Bosworth: Now, sweetheart, you know I can’t talk business till I get my “ker-fee” in me.

& Cameron: Uh, yeah, it’s interactive. Um, I can just show it to you.
    Bosworth: You’re barking up the wrong tree. No, you want this machine to stand out from every other machine on the floor, you gotta stop talking about the machine and you gotta start talking about the people that made it. They bled for this. The future’s coming whether we like it or not, but it ain’t written anywhere that it includes any of us. And getting there ain’t free. There’s a cost. People who put up the money, they like to take the credit, but the credit belongs to them that built it. This machine is the future. Make them see that.

& Gordon: I put my life into that box!
    MacMillan: Like I didn’t?
    Gordon: You gave it a name and a handle. You didn’t build a damn thing.
    Cameron: He’s right. You only destroy things. You’ve never created anything.
    MacMillan: I created both of you!

& Gordon: Any openings at TI?

& Jim: I think we’re gonna stick with IBM.
    MacMillan: But IBM doesn’t make a portable.
    Jim: Well, not one they’ve announced yet.
    MacMillan: Where did you hear this rumor?
    Jim: I don’t know. Everybody’s talking about it.
    MacMillan: Is there a release date?
    Jim: I hear early next year.


& Gordon: I know it’s crazy. I know, but you’re crazy, too. No, no, you forget that, but you are. We were both crazy and then all of a sudden, you decided you needed to be the sane one.
    Donna: Yes, because...
    Gordon: ...That you needed to take care of me, but you don’t. Look, be crazy with me. I need you to be behind me, Donna.

& Cameron: Why do you even care if I come?
    Gordon: Because you are responsible for half the machine. We’re the talent, not Joe.

& Gordon: I want you to know that even though that we’ve had our differences and I’m not entirely clear on what the function of your special OS is, I’ll try and do it justice at the demo.
    Cameron: I know what you’re doing. It’s not gonna work.
    Gordon: Okay, well, let me make sure I got it. It’s better than MS-DOS because it does things like ask you how your day is going and corrects you if you make a command wrong. Oh, wait, no, I know what I’ll say. It’s like having your mother inside your computer. How’s that?

& Gordon: Shit, he cleared out. He’s gone.
    Cameron: He’s not gone, this is just how he lives.
    Gordon: On purpose?!

& Gordon: I don’t remember. It’s been...
    Cameron: Oh, come on. I wanna hear about it.
    Gordon: Honestly, I don’t even remember.
    Cameron: I’ll tell you my first time.
    Gordon: Okay.
    Cameron: Okay... it was, um, the Apple II.
    Gordon: Oh, God, jeez. I feel so old.

& Cameron: ...by New Year’s I had disassembled it and reassembled it four times.
    Gordon: How long did it take you to disassemble your mom’s new boyfriend?
    Cameron: He hung in there till Easter.

& Gordon: Me and Donna used to write each other these little love notes, but they were encrypted. We... we developed our own poly alphabetic cipher...
    Cameron: Geeks.
    Gordon: Anyways, I designed the ring myself and incorporated the cipher into it, and the only way to break our code was with Donna’s engagement ring.
    Cameron: Wait, you proposed to your wife with a decoder ring?.. Gordon, wow.

& MacMillan: She wanted me to be a dreamer.
    MacMillan Senior: Your mother wasn’t a dreamer. She was lost. A real dreamer, someone that matters, makes something out of nothing. And that only happens with hard work.

& Gordon: You know, you can spin a good word, Joe, even though you’re not an engineer and you are certainly no visionary, but I never thought you were a coward.
    MacMillan: And you never know when to shut your mouth!

& Cameron: How much is the car worth?
    MacMillan: ..... Such a beautiful car...
    Cameron: Let it go.

& Gordon: Good news... Donna’s coming.
    MacMillan: Wonderful. The more the merrier.

& Cameron: You don’t have the technical knowledge.
    Bosworth: Did you know that damn bank was using a DEC-20 running TOPS for their dial-in account management time sharing system? I kid you not. Turns out, if you do it quick enough, before the exception handlers are invoked, you can control-C out of the user program and then you’re left sitting with a terminal session on an account which has some pretty interesting privileges, including running Kermit... Oh, I had a good teacher.

& Bosworth: Go to COMDEX. Knock ’em dead. Do that for me... Get the hell outta here.

--
On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий