27 июл. 2012 г.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

& Graham: I hate retirement parties. Crap cheese, crap wine. Endless speeches. Why do people do that? Nobody... Nobody ever said about a retirement party, you know, “Well, this is great. I can’t wait to have one of my own.”

& Jean Ainslie: Thirty years in the civil service, and this is all we can afford!
    Douglas Ainslie: W-W-Would it help if I apologize again?
    Jean: No... But try it anyway.

& Muriel: Not a single doctor has come to see me!
    Nurse: Now that’s not quite true, is it, Mrs. Donnelly? A doctor did try and examine you, and you sent him away.
    Muriel: What, that one? He can wash all he likes. That color’s not coming out. I want an English doctor.
    Nurse: Oh, an English doctor... Why didn’t you say so? I’ll get one right away.
    Muriel: Thank you.
    Nurse: Mrs. Donnelly, this is Dr. Ghujarapartidar.

& Norman: Um, I’m sorry. Um, on the form, they asked for our age bracket... and the age we wanted to meet.
    Judith: And in both cases, I ticked “25 to 39.”
    Norman: That’s right. So did I. Anyway, don’t stop. Uh... “Something more creative.”
    Judith: How old are you?
    Norman: Early 40s. And, you know, my interests are travel, theater...
    Judith: Do you mean you were born in the early ’40s?
    Norman: Judy, I know what you’re asking.
    Judith: It’s Judith.
    Norman: Judith. Trust me. I’ve still got it. Just can’t find anyone that wants it... Hi. I’m Norman.

& Muriel: When do I have the operation?
    Dr. Ghujarapartidar: I’m afraid you’ll be on the waiting list for at least six months.
    Muriel: At my age, I can’t plan that far ahead. I don’t even buy green bananas.

& Douglas: It’s a luxury development... where all the residents are in their golden years.
    Douglas’ Golf Partner: Like the Costa Brava?
    Douglas: Yeah, but with more elephants.

& Muriel: You know who’ll be there... Indians. Loads of them. Brown faces and black hearts. Reeking of curry. And you never see one on their own, do you? I mean, they always... they move in packs. Makes it easier to rob you blind, cut your throat.
    Paramedic: You know what? You can wheel yourself from here.
    Muriel: You’re supposed to take me to my flat!
    Paramedic: My wife’s from Mumbai.
    Muriel: Well, don’t blame me, mate. You married her. “My wife’s from Mumbai.”

& Evelyn’s Son: How are we going to know you’re all right?
    Evelyn Greenslade: Well, I’ll call. They do have phones there, you know. Or you can read my blog.
    Evelyn’s Son: Your what?
    Evelyn: On the Interweb. Just log in whenever you like and read my news.

& Madge Hardcastle: Look at the bus! There’s not enough room!
    Graham: First rule of India... “There’s always room.”

& Douglas: Would you like some of this? I believe it’s called aloo ka paratha.
    Muriel: No, if I can’t pronounce it, I don’t want to eat it.

& Muriel: What exactly is a tuk-tuk?

& Sonny: Welcome to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel!


& Sonny: This is a building of the utmost character, which means that perhaps not everything will function in the way you expect it to. But, as the manager... and chief executive supervising officer of this Marigold Hotel, I can tell you with great pride that the building has stood for centuries... and will continue to stand for many more in 100% shipshape condition. Please follow me, carefully avoiding that naughty stone there...

& Sonny: Around this corner, leading us most successfully all the way to... your bedroom.
    Madge: Where?
    Sonny: Here. In here.
    Madge: My dear man, rooms have doors. What you’re showing me here is an alcove.
    Sonny: A door is coming soon, most definitely.
    Madge: How soon?
    Sonny: Let us not concern ourselves with details, Mrs. Hardcastle. Rather than speaking of doors, we should instead take pleasure in the freedom to roam.
    Madge: Does your room have a door?
    Sonny: A most effective one.
    Madge: Good. Then that’s where I’ll be staying.

& Sonny: Mrs. Ainslie, prepare to be amazed... This is that very building, madam.
    Jean: You Photoshopped it!
    Sonny: No. I have offered a vision of the future. Of course, I’d hoped that by now it would be the present. But, you know, in India, we have a saying... “Everything will be all right in the end... So if it is not all right, it is not yet the end.”

& Evelyn: How do you come to be in India?
    Douglas: Oh, uh... Oh. I invested our... well, my retirement money... in our daughter’s Internet company. She assured me that as soon as the start-up actually, uh, started up... and the conversion from virtual to actual became sufficiently viable, then she’d be able to pay it all back...
    Evelyn: I’m not sure I understand what most of those words mean.
    Douglas: Well, it turns out neither did she.

& Sonny: Let me through, please. My brother is a doctor.

& Evelyn’s blog: ’Initially, you’re overwhelmed. But gradually, you realize it’s like a wave. Resist and you’ll be knocked over. Dive into it, and you’ll swim out the other side.’

& Sunaina’s Brother: Sit down. Please. So it is really builder’s tea?
    Evelyn: Yes. We dunk biscuits into it.
    Sunaina’s Brother: You “dunk”?
    Evelyn: Well, it means lowering the biscuit into the tea... and letting it soak in there... and trying to calculate the exact moment before the biscuit dissolves... when you can whip it up into your mouth... and enjoy the blissful union of biscuit and tea combined... It is more relaxing than it sounds.

& Sonny: So now that we are fully operational, Mr. Maruthi, it is clear that, with a small injection of funds for the phase two development, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel can rise like a phoenix... to its previous state of glory. And, look, when I say small injection, I mean small in the sense of, uh, medium-sized... Possibly larger.
    Mr. Maruthi: Well, this hotel was never glorious.
    Sonny: Just the phoenix part then.

& Graham: I’m gay. Uh... Though nowadays, more in theory than in practice.

& Sunaina: Do you love me, Sonny?
Sonny: My feelings for you cannot be reduced to a single word.
Sunaina: It’s a nice word. People like hearing it.

& Sunaina: Are you all right, auntie?
Evelyn: Uh, yes. I’m about to make the first public speech of my life.
Sunaina: Imagine them naked.
Evelyn: Sorry?
Sunaina: It’s the way not to be scared when speaking in public. You imagine people naked.

& Evelyn’s blog: ’Day 22. Like Darwin’s finches, we are slowly adapting to our environment. And when one does adapt, my God, the riches that are available. There is no past that we can bring back by longing for it. Only a present that builds and creates itself as the past withdraws.’

& Jean: How can you bear this country? What do you see that I don’t?
    Graham: Oh, the light, colors. Smiles. And... And the way people see life as a... as a... as a privilege and-and not a right. It-It teaches me something.

& Jean: When I want your opinion, I’ll give it to you!

& Madge: You’re not worried about the danger of having sex at your age?
    Norman: If she dies, she dies.

& Graham: It’s going to be nothing. Don’t you think it’s going to be nothing?
    Evelyn: I think you should just knock on the door and see.

& Evelyn’s blog: ’Is it our friend we are grieving for, whose life we knew so little? Or is it our own loss that we are mourning? Have we traveled far enough that we can allow our tears to fall? When someone dies, you think about your own life.’

& Madge: I don’t want to grow older. I don’t want to be condescended to. To become marginalized and ignored by society. I don’t want to be the first person they let off the plane in a hostage crisis.

& Jean: Not just getting on the plane, but getting on the plane and turning left. First class. And home in time for our 40th wedding anniversary. We haven’t quite decided how to mark the occasion.
    Madge: Perhaps a minute of silence...

& Muriel: Now, Mr. Maruthi...
    Mr. Maruthi: Mrs. Donnelly, please. Call me Bhanuprakash.

& Evelyn: Didn’t you have a girlfriend?
    Sonny: She is my girlfriend no longer.
    Evelyn: This is a disaster.
    Sonny: No, no. Then we must treat it just the same as we would treat a triumph, madam. Is that not what your Mr. Kipling tells us?.. Although, of course, here we have a problem, because I, Sunil Indrajit Kapoor, have never had a triumph. So, of course, I do not know how to treat one. No, all I’ve had is a constant series of disasters... interspersed with occasional catastrophe, an unending stream of total...

& Evelyn: You can have anything you want, Sonny. You just need to stop waiting for someone to tell you you deserve it.

& Carol: You haven’t met anyone?
    Madge: Single by choice. Just not my choice.

& Sunaina: Why are you only saying this now?
    Sonny: Because, Sunaina, love of my life, no more will I believe that I’m not worthy. For only by loving you as you deserve will I become so.

& Douglas: It’s funny. They call this rush hour, and yet nothing actually moves.

& Muriel: Nothing here has worked out quite as I expected. Most things don’t. But, you know, sometimes what happens instead is the good stuff.

& Evelyn’s blog: ’Day 51. The only real failure is the failure to try. And the measure of success is how we cope with disappointment. As we always must. We came here and we tried. All of us in our different ways. Can we be blamed for feeling that we are too old to change? Too scared of disappointment to start it all again? We get up in the morning. We do our best. Nothing else matters. {...} But it’s also true that the person who risks nothing... does nothing, has nothing. All we know about the future is that it will be different. {...} But perhaps what we fear is that it will be the same. So we must celebrate the changes. Because, as someone once said, everything will be all right in the end. And if it’s not all right, then trust me... It’s not yet the end.’

--
+ quotes on the Imdb.

Σ 'Witty, and smart and hilarious.' Absolutely loved it.
     Such an ensemble. Judi Dench as Evelyn Greenslade. Tom Wilkinson as Graham Dashwood. Bill Nighy as Douglas Ainslie. Penelope Wilton as Jean Ainslie. Maggie Smith as Muriel Donnelly. Ronald Pickup as Norman Cousins. Celia Imrie as Madge Hardcastle. And, for sure, Dev Patel as Sonny Kapoor. Brilliant.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий