18 июл. 2012 г.

Margaret

& Lisa: I don’t like that kind of singing.
    Joan: You like classical music.
    Lisa: Yes, that’s true, but I don’t like opera singing. ... It’s like their entire reason for existing is to prove how loud they can be. I don’t really find that all that interesting.

& Lisa: I don’t care!.. I don’t care about any of it. It doesn’t matter. Your boyfriend doesn’t matter. Your play doesn’t matter, except to you. I don’t care about New Mexico, because to tell you the truth, I’m probably not even going.
    Joan: What do you mean?
    Lisa: Want to know something else, Mom? There are more important problems in the world than our relationship. There is a whole city out there full of people who are dying, so who gives a shit if I like your fucking boyfriend? It is so trivial. Why are you bothering me with all this? It doesn’t matter.

& Joan: You know what? You’re a little cunt!
    Lisa: You’re a big cunt!

& Lisa: I was just thinking... This is gonna sound really queer... but by any chance would you want to meet somewhere and, like, take away my virginity?

Norma - Vincenzo Bellini

& Ramon: Pretentious?
    Joan: I don’t mean they didn’t really enjoy it, but you know how you can be enjoying something, but you’re also kind of looking around, out of the corner of your eye, because you know people are watching you enjoy it?
    Ramon: Yes, but I wouldn’t say that it was pretentious. In Italian you say “bravo” for the man and “brava” for the woman, and "bravi“for the whole company.
    Joan: Uh-huh. Okay, I see what you mean.
    Ramon: You use the masculine for the male singer and the feminine for the female singer.


& Lisa: I would just like somebody to take responsibility for what happened.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods.
They kill us for their sport.”


& Lisa: So what good does that do?
    Deutsch: You get the money. Is that bad? This is how our society punishes people for doing bad things.
    Lisa: By getting money from their employers’ insurance companies?
    Deutsch: Yes. It’s called “punitive damages. ”

& Emily: Because... this isn’t an opera! And we are not all supporting characters to the drama of your amazing life!

& Emily: You have every right to falsify your own life, but you have no right to falsify anybody else’s. It’s what makes people into Nazis!

& Lisa: Why are you doing this?
    Emily: Lisa, I’m not doing anything. I’m a human being. Monica was a human being. So was her daughter and so is your mother. We are not supporting characters in the fascinating story of your life.

& Lisa: It’s just a little hot. A little warm.

& Ramon: Lisa, you have to remember, it’s always easy for the dominant side to be content with the status quo.
    Emily: How do you mean, Ramon?
    Ramon: I mean the oppressor uses violence to maintain his position and calls it the rule of law. But when the person underfoot uses violence to change his status, he’s called a criminal and a terrorist. And the violence of the state is called upon to put him down.
    Emily: I see. And what would you like them to do?
    Ramon: ...“They” meaning?
    Emily: The Jew oppressors. What would you like them to do?
    Ramon: I didn’t use that expression.
    Emily: No, you didn’t.
    Ramon: But since you ask... I think it’s ironic in the extreme that the victims of Nazis find it essential...
    Emily: If Israelis were like Nazis...
    Ramon: ...to use Nazi tactics...
    Emily: ...there wouldn’t be any Arabs left.
    Ramon: That’s what I’ve been saying!
    Emily: And I’m leaving.
    Lisa: That seems excessive, Emily, come on.
    Ramon: That’s the response. That’s the Jewish response.
    Emily: It’s the what?
    Ramon: It’s the Jewish response. You don’t like what I am saying or what I do, so you...
    Lisa: Oh, my God!
    Emily: That’s my Jewish response.
    Ramon: That’s all right. It’s all right. It’s a perfect little encapsule. It’s the Jewish response.

Offenbach - The Tales of Hoffman

--
+ quotes on the Imdb.

Σ Some sort of strange. And interesting. + Opera. + NY. + ensemble.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий