22 июл. 2012 г.

Game Change

& Steve Schmidt, Senior Campaign Strategist: It’s gonna be easy because there’s only one message you need to get across.
    John McCain: Yeah? What’s that?
    Steve: John McCain puts country first.
    McCain: Would you consider joining us?

& Mark Salter, Senior Adviser & Speechwriter: It’s an uphill battle, John.
    McCain: Well, as Chairman Mao was fond of saying, “it’s always darkest before it’s completely black.”
    Steve: Senator, it always concerns me when you quote Chairman Mao.

& Steve: I think we’re going about this all wrong. This man is on the cover of every news magazine. He’s on the cover of every entertainment magazine. He’s got 200,000 people screaming for him in Berlin. And what has he done?.. A man of no accomplishment has become the biggest celebrity in the world, and we keep trying to reach up and pull him down. What we need to do is ask the American people a very simple question: Do you want a statesman to be your next president... Or do you want a celebrity?

& Rick Davis, Campaign Manager: Now can you believe these guys?
    Steve: He wants Lieberman on the ticket.
    Mark: Of course he does.
    Rick: Disaster.
    Mark: Or historic.
    Steve: Or historic disaster.

& McCain: Joe is perfect. We’re both mavericks that are hated by the assholes in our own parties. It could have a tremendous healing effect on the country.
    Steve: We can’t win without our base. Lieberman is the right thing to do, but the wrong way to win.

& McCain: So find me a woman.
    ...
    Rick: All right, ladies. Who’s it gonna be?

& Steve: She’s everything we need.
    McCain: You don’t think she might be... too outside the box?
    Steve: Huh. Well, that’s what makes her such a Maverick choice.
    McCain: So is picking Lieberman. That’d be pretty goddamn mavericky.
    Steve: Sir, we live in the age of YouTube and the 24-hour news cycle. How else do you think a man who has absolutely no major life accomplishments is beating an American hero by double digits?.. He’s simply sailing on his charisma and star power. We need to create a dynamic moment in this campaign or we’re dead.
    McCain: You think she’s that good?
    Steve: She could be.

& Steve: Now, if he chooses you to be his running mate, you will instantly become one of the most famous people on the planet. Your life will be investigated, manipulated, distorted, and you will lose any semblance of privacy. Knowing this, are you 100% committed to going forward with this project?
    Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska: Absolutely. I have a servant’s heart. And if you really think I can help this ticket, if you really think I can help this country, then absolutely... I’ll do this with ya.

& Steve: Your private life will be subjected to harsh, often unfair attacks. Nothing can prepare you for... How ugly this can be. Not...
    Sarah: I do understand that.

& Mark: Do you reject the theory of evolution?
    Sarah: ... I’m the daughter of a science teacher. My dad showed me fossils growing up. I know about evolution. I accept evolution. But I will never deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth.

& McCain: You think she’s ready to be president?
    A.B.: I don’t think she’s gonna be ready on January 20th, but I think she has the smarts to get there eventually.
    McCain: Give me the bottom line, A.B.
    A.B.: High risk... High reward.
    McCain: You shouldn't have told me that.
    A.B.: Why not?
    McCain: I’ve been a risk-taker all my life.

& Sarah: Senator, you’re an American hero. I’m just Sarah from Alaska.

& Mark: You may not only lose the election, John. You just might lose your reputation right along with it.
    McCain: I’m not running for my reputation. I’m running to be president!
    Mark: Yes, sir.

& Steve: It is absolutely crucial that not a single person know you’re the pick. Surprise of your announcement will stop any momentum Obama might get from his convention speech.
    Sarah: That’s smart.
    Steve: You seem totally unfazed by all this...
    Sarah: It’s God’s plan.

& Steve: Governor, you are the nominee for the vice president of the United States. You will no longer be carrying your own bags.
    Sarah: Yes, sir.
    Steve: And never call me “sir.” You can call me Steve, schmidty, Kojak, potsie, shithead... anything you want. I will call you governor or ma’am.
    Sarah: Well, I don’t curse, so I’m gonna have to call you potsie.
    Steve: Very good, ma’am.

& Steve: These gentlemen are secret service agents. They will take you into the arena. And if everything goes according to plan... they will be with you the rest of your life.

& Steve: Everything’s gonna change the moment you walk out that door. Are you ready, Governor?
    Sarah: I’m ready.
    Steve: Breathe.


& Steve: We don’t want you to talk to anyone until after the convention because no one knows anything about you. If you answer these ridiculous allegations, you’ll be defining yourself in a defensive posture.
    Sarah: But isn’t the press defining me right now?
    Steve: No news story lasts more than 48 hours any more. News is no longer meant to be remembered. It’s just entertainment. So if you hit your convention speech out of the park, the next news cycle will be the comeback of Sarah Palin.
    Sarah: Yeah. I can do that.

& Steve: You’re a transformative figure, Governor. You... you could be the party’s next Ronald Reagan.
    Sarah: Holy jeez, I... yeah, he’s... he’s my hero, so...
    Steve: Mine, ’too.’

& Steve: Um, let’s start with something simple. Uh... how do you plan on maintaining our alliance with Great Britain on Iraq, even though support for the war there is at an all-time low?
    Sarah: I think the United States has always maintained a great relationship with the Queen. And John McCain will continue to have an open dialogue with her.
    Steve: Uh, Governor, the queen is not the head of government in England. She’s the head of state.
    Sarah: Well, then, who’s the head of government?
    Steve: The prime minister.

& Steve Biegun: I think we should start by prepping the governor with Russian economic policy as it relates to post-cold war tensions during the pre-Putin era.
    Steve: I was thinking something a little bit simpler...
    Randy Scheunemann: How much simpler?
    ...
    Randy: This is Germany. They were the primary antagonists during World War I and World War II...

& Randy: Currently, we’re in the middle of what I like to call the three wars. That’s Afghanistan, Iraq, and the global war on terror.
    Biegun: Governor, would you... would you like to take a break?
    Sarah: No way. This is flippin’ awesome.

& Nicolle Wallace: Who do you see as the primary enemy at this point?
    Sarah: Radical islamist extremists.
    Steve: Can you be more specific?
    Sarah: The terrorists who are hell-bent on destroying our nation.
    Steve: Governor, do you know why we’re in Iraq?
    Sarah: Because Saddam Hussein attacked us on 9/11.
    Steve: No. No, uh, Al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11.
    Sarah: Not Saddam Hussein.
    Steve: No, it was Al Qaeda. And that’s why we’re in Afghanistan.
    Nicolle: Do you know the primary differences between the war in Afghanistan and the war in Iraq?

& Steve: She’s a great actress, right?
    Nicolle: Oh, the best.
    Steve: Why don’t we just give her some lines?

& Steve: We’re checkmated. If the bail-out doesn’t pass, we’re screwed because Bush, and thus you, will be blamed for it. If you pass the bail-out...
    McCain: The Republicans will despise me for supporting a bail-out. This is it, guys. I mean, this is the whole fucking election.
    Steve: Now, we think you should suspend the campaign, postpone the debates, go to Washington, and try to negotiate a bi-partisan compromise.
    Mark: You need to make a bold move, John.
    McCain: This is a big risk. I mean, that’s a big gamble. We gotta do something. I mean nothing can fuck me more than this.

& McCain: That poor girl. She wasn’t ready for this.
Steve: Yeah, I’m afraid you’re right, sir. And YouTube is making it exponentially worse. People are watching Katie Couric and Tina Fey over and over again. It’s playing like an infinite loop on the web.

& Steve: What’s up, doc? How’s she look?
    Doctor: For a woman who’s just had a baby, has a pregnant teen daughter and a son in Iraq, I’d say not half bad. You, however, look like shit.

& Todd Palin: Do you remember when you debated Halcro?
    Sarah: He had no notes, no papers, and he could spout off all these facts and figures?
    Todd: You were so intimidated... Until you looked out at the audience. What’d you realize?..
    Sarah: That none of what he said mattered, because no one knew what he was talking about.
    Todd: It’s the same thing here, baby. It’s just more people. You’re getting yourself in trouble, because they’re trying to turn you into something that you’re not. You gotta do what you do. Just talk to people the way you talk to them. And they’ll love you.
    Sarah: They always have. I love you, first dude.
    Todd: I love you, too...

& Sarah: Pray with me.
    Piper Palin: What should we pray for?
    Sarah: Just pray that we win the debate.
    Piper: Mom, that would be cheating.

& Steve: Governor, I admit that this is a dysfunctional campaign, but that is what I inherited, and I am doing my level best to help us win this election.
    Sarah: And that’s what I’m trying to do, too, and all you’re doing is screwing me up. That’s all you’ve done this entire time, is get in my way... And I am raising millions of dollars for this campaign. Hundreds of thousands of people are coming to see me speak, not John McCain, God bless him. They are coming to see me. So if I am single-handedly carrying this campaign, I’m gonna do what I want.

& Steve: Sir... I can’t control her any more. I don’t know if she’s getting on a campaign plane in the morning or what she’s gonna say at night. We need to finish this campaign with as much dignity as possible, and the only way that can happen is if you get her in line.
    McCain: That’s not gonna do it, Steve... She might start turning on me.

& Steve: He’s the most depressed I’ve seen him the entire campaign. I can’t get him to stop watching MSNBC, which only makes him more miserable... I’m amazed that someone who has been in politics this long takes all the petty stuff so personally.
    Rick: And That’s why they are who they are. Reagan, Bush, Clinton... all they want is to be loved. The ones that don’t pathologically need to be loved, they don’t get the nomination. They don’t get to be president. If you’d understood that fact, you might have been able to better handle our Alaskan moose hunter.

& Nicolle: Steve... There’s something I have to tell you.
    Steve: What’s wrong?
    Nicolle: I didn’t vote. I couldn’t do it. I didn’t vote. I couldn’t do it.
    Steve: It’s okay.

& Steve: Still think she’s fit for office?
    Rick: Eh, who cares? In 48 hours, no one will even remember who she is.

--
+ quotes on the Imdb.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий