29 сент. 2017 г.

Shadows and Fog

Hacker’s Follower: So, you know about it.
Kleinman: Well, you know, I hear, now and then, a drib and drab.
Hacker’s Follower: He hears what he wants to hear!

Hacker’s Follower: The police have had their chance. Now we’re taking matters into our own hands.
Kleinman: No, that’s scary.
Hacker’s Follower: You’re one of us, aren’t you, Kleinman?
Kleinman: Yes, yes, I’m definitely one of you.

Kleinman: Where the hell did they go? The street’s so desolate. I don’t like this. I wanna get back into bed. I can’t do that, though. If something goes wrong with their plan, they’ll say it’s my fault. Why me?

Clown: Mmm, believe me, nothing is more terrifying than attempting to make people laugh, and failing.

Doctor: Once I have him here, on this table, dismembered and scrutinized in minute detail, then I shall know the answer with certainty to questions that now I can only speculate on.
Kleinman: Yeah, but it’s not possible that under the microscope there’s something that you could never see?
Doctor: What are you implying? Uh, a spiritual element? A soul that lives on after we’re dead? A God?... Ask him if there’s anything else... What are you thinking now?
Kleinman: I just must remember next time I go out to a restaurant... not to order the sweetbreads.

Kleinman: This is ridiculous. Where is everybody? Unless, this is part of the plan. Maybe they have me under surveillance... If anything bad happens, they’ll come running out and grab me... Unless they don’t come running out. But they could never think that I’d be any match for a maniac. A deranged person is supposed to have the strength of ten men. I have the strength of one small boy with polio.

Prostitute: Jack, you’re making a fool of yourself. Some people can’t be bought, not for any amount of money.
Student Jack: Listen, you’re really the most sensual woman I’ve ever seen. It’s a quick $700. Go right there in the back room... What do you say?
Irmy: ... Let me see the 700.... Can we use the back room?

Irmy: What are you staring at?
Kleinman: Me?
Irmy: I’m not a whore!
Kleinman: What did I say? You know... Do I care what your hobbies are?

Kleinman: So, when you have the sword down your throat, what happens if you get hiccups?

Vogel’s Follower: We’re getting closer to the zero hour.
Kleinman: Yeah? So what do I do?
Vogel’s Follower: Don’t you know?!
Kleinman: No. That’s the point. You know, you got me up, in the middle of the night and no one’s told me what I’m supposed to be doing!
Vogel’s Follower: Kleinman, I swear, if anyone is killed or hurt as a result of your incompetence.
Kleinman: No, I don’t know enough to be incompetent.

Clown: Oh, mercy. We never know when we have a good thing. We always have to ruin it.
Student Jack: I know exactly how you feel. The earthly paradise known as woman.
Clown: All we’ll ever know of heaven.
Student Jack: All we need know of hell.


Irmy: Do you pray ever?
Kleinman: No. ’Cause my people pray in a different language, you know, I never understood what they were saying. For all I know, you know, they were requesting their own troubles.

Irmy: You see that very bright star up in that direction?
Kleinman: Mmm-hmm.
Irmy: For all we know, that star could have disappeared a million years ago, and it’s taken the light from it a million years to reach us.
Kleinman: Oh, so what are you saying? That star is not there?
Irmy: That it might not be there.
Kleinman: Even though I can see it with my own eyes?
Irmy: That’s right.
Kleinman: That’s a very, uh, disquieting thought, you know. Because when I see something with my own eyes, I like to know that it’s actually there. ’Cause otherwise, you know, a person could sit down in a chair and break his neck. You know, you have to be able to rely on things. That’s very, very important. You know who has these thoughts all the time? Schultz the tailor. He thinks that nothing is real at all and that everything exists only in the dream of a dog.

Vigilante with Spiro: How do you plead, Kleinman?
Kleinman: Not guilty. I plead not guilty! I never did anything in my life to deserve any trouble. If anything, I deserve a bonus.

Prostitute 2: There are laws against murder. Haven’t you heard about that?
Student Jack: Maybe certain people obey only their own laws.
Prostitute 1: Is that what they teach you at the University, to be superior?
Student Jack: No, no, no, no. We learn facts. Nothing but facts. Logic and Mathematics and how to become depressed.

Student Jack: Here’s a thoughtful looking man. What are your views on divine matters?
Kleinman: Excuse me, you... Me?
Student Jack: I’m asking you if you believe in God.
Kleinman: .... You know, I would love to. Believe me, I know I would be much happier.
Student Jack: Yeah, but you can’t.
Kleinman: I can’t, no. It’s just, you know...
Student Jack: You doubt his existence and you can’t make the leap of faith necessary.
Kleinman: Listen, I can’t make the leap of faith necessary to believe in my own existence.

Student Jack: You keep making jokes until the moment comes and you’ve really got to face death.
Kleinman: Why are we on such a morbid subject?
Student Jack: I just, you know... That’s the future, you know.
Prostitute 2: Oh, is it the future?
Prostitute 1: No, no, no. The trick is to have as much wine, as many men, as many laughs as you can until they carry you out in a pine box. And then don’t go easily.
Prostitute 3: When I go, I want to die in my sleep without ever knowing.
Student Jack: That’s some world when the nicest gift that you can wish for someone you really care for is that they die in their sleep.
Prostitute 4: If I thought that there was nothing except this, I’d kill myself.
Student Jack: I’ve thought of it. Believe me, there have been many times when my brain has said, «Why not?» I mean, there’s no point to anything. But somehow my blood always said, «Live, live.» And I always listen to my blood... How about you, Kleinman?
Kleinman: You know, I know exactly what I think about all this, but I can never find the words to put it in, you know, maybe if I get little drunk I could dance it for you. And, express myself.

Prostitute 2: Come on, honey, I know what’s on your mind. Come on. Let’s go to the bedroom.
Kleinman: I’ve never paid for sex in my life.
Prostitute 2: Oh, you just think you haven’t.

Irmy: All I know is you certainly saved my life. You were very brave.
Kleinman: Well, I can be brave, you know?
Irmy: You were.
Kleinman: It’s just that I can’t think about it first, you know. If I ever think about what’s going to happen to me, then I lose control of my muscles.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий