18 янв. 2020 г.

Charade (1963)

Regina Lampert: Can't he do something constructive, like start an avalanche or something?

Sylvie Gaudet: It is infuriating that your unhappiness does not turn to fat.

Sylvie Gaudet: But I don't understand. Why do you want a divorce?
Regina Lampert: Because I don't love him. And he obviously doesn't love me.
Sylvie Gaudet: That's no reason to get a divorce. With a rich husband and this year's clothes... you won't find it difficult to make some new friends.
Regina Lampert: I admit I came to Paris to escape American provincial... but that doesn't mean I'm ready for French traditional.

Regina Lampert: That's all I ask of anybody: the simple truth.

Peter Joshua: Do we know each other?
Regina Lampert: Why? Do you think we're going to?
Peter Joshua: I don't know. How would I know?
Regina Lampert: Because I already know an awful lot of people. Until one of them dies I couldn't possibly meet anyone else.
Peter Joshua: Hmm. Well, if anyone goes on the critical list, let me know.

Regina Lampert: You're blocking my view.
Peter Joshua: Oh. Which view would you prefer?
Regina Lampert: The one you're blocking.

Regina Lampert: Wasn't it Shakespeare who said when strangers do meet in far-off lands... they should ere long see each other again?
Peter Joshua: Shakespeare never said that.
Regina Lampert: How do you know?
Peter Joshua: It’s terrible. You just made it up.
Regina Lampert: Well, it sounds right.

Peter Joshua: How about making me vice president in charge of cheering you up?

Regina Lampert: Being murdered in cold blood is not nonsense. Why don't you try it sometime?

Regina Lampert: Won't you come in for a minute?
Peter Joshua: No, I won't.
Regina Lampert: I don't bite, you know, unless it's called for.
Peter Joshua: How would you like a spanking?
Regina Lampert: How'd you like a punch in the nose?

Regina Lampert: Do you know what's wrong with you?
Peter Joshua: No. What?
Regina Lampert: Nothing.

Regina Lampert: Promise me you'll never lie to me the way Charles did. Why do people have to tell lies?
Peter Joshua: Usually it's because they want something. They're afraid the truth won't get it.


Regina Lampert: May I have a cigarette, please?.. I can't stand those things. It’s like drinking coffee through a veil.

Hamilton Bartholomew: Now, please help us, Mrs. Lampert. Your government is counting on you.
Regina Lampert: Well, if I'm going to die, I might as well do it for my country.
Hamilton Bartholomew: That's the spirit. Here's what I want you to do...

Peter Joshua: Now what?
Herman Scobie: We wait. With our mouth shut.

Regina Lampert: You won't be able to lie on your back for a few days. But then, you can lie from any position, can't you?

Regina Lampert: Alex, how can you tell if anyone's lying or not?
Peter Joshua: You can't.
Regina Lampert: There must be some way...
Peter Joshua: There's an old riddle about two tribes of Indians. The Whitefeet always tell the truth, and the Blackfeet always lie. One day you meet an Indian. You say... "Hey, Indian, what are you, a truthful Whitefoot or a lying Blackfoot?" He says, "I'm a truthful Whitefoot. " But which is he?
Regina Lampert: Why couldn't you just look at his feet?
Peter Joshua: Because he's wearing moccasins.
Regina Lampert: Well, then, he's a truthful Whitefoot, of course.
Peter Joshua: Why not a lying Blackfoot?
Regina Lampert: Which one are you?
Peter Joshua: A truthful Whitefoot.

Regina Lampert: Can't you be serious?
Peter Joshua: Oh! You just said an horrible word.
Regina Lampert: What did I say?
Peter Joshua: Serious. When I man gets to be my age, that's the last word he ever wants to hear.

Insp. Edouard Grandpierre: We use the guillotine in this country. I have always suspected that the blade coming down... causes no more than a slight tickling sensation... on the back of the neck. It is only a guess, of course.

Peter Joshua: Why do you think Tex did it?
Regina Lampert: Because I really suspect Gideon... and it's always the person you don't suspect.
Peter Joshua: Do women think it feminine to be so illogical, or can't they help it?
Regina Lampert: What's so illogical about that?
Peter Joshua: You just said it's always the one you don't suspect. You suspect Gideon, therefore it must be Tex. On the other hand, if you suspect Tex it must be the other fella, Gideon.
Regina Lampert: I guess they just can't help it.
Peter Joshua: Hmm? Who?
Regina Lampert: Women.

Peter Joshua: In this highly competitive world... when a man has no profession, there isn't much choice... so I began looking for people who had more money than they needed... including some they'd barely miss.
Regina Lampert: You mean you're a thief?
Peter Joshua: Well, that's not exactly the term I'd have chosen... but it sort of captures the spirit of the thing.

Regina Lampert: Adam Canfield is a crook, and I want to know why.
Peter Joshua: Well, it's simple. I like what I do. I enjoy my work. There aren't many men who love their work as much as I do.

Peter Joshua: Oh, you should see your face...
Regina Lampert: What's the matter with it?
Peter Joshua: It’s lovely.

Peter Joshua: Reggie, I beg you. Just trust me once more.
Regina Lampert: Why should I?
Peter Joshua: I can't think of a reason in the world why you should.

Regina Lampert: Forgive me. Who would I see regarding the return of stolen government money?

--
+++ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий