30 янв. 2020 г.

At War with Love (2016)

Flora: You can force me to marry Carmelo, but you can't keep me from loving Arturo.
Zio Alfredo: What is it you see in that guy? Why do you love him?
Flora: Because... Because... I love him, because I love him.

Maggiore Maone: ... What happened to the roof? Did we bomb it?
Don Calò: Don't worry, Major, this is damage you didn't do. You have no idea how many conquerors have come here over the centuries. You're just the latest.

Narrator: After centuries of conquerors, the Sicilians had learned how to negotiate.
Don Calò: Do you understand women?
Tenente Philip Catelli: A little bit.
Don Calò: Sicily is like a beautiful woman. She needs to be courted, receive compliments, beautiful gifts. She needs to know if she can trust you or not.
Maggiore Maone: You sure this woman won't “make me a cuckold", like you say here?
Don Calò: A Sicilian women is faithful, as long as you treat her well.

Tenente Philip Catelli: You were nodding yes, but do you know what this song means? It means that sometimes things can change, but it depends on you.

Arturo: But I don't know how to be a lieutenant, no one would believe it.
Tenente Philip Catelli: It's easy. There's one basic rule you always have to follow. Make people believe you always know everything.
Arturo: But what if you don't know things?
Tenente Philip Catelli: You get a private to do them. If he messes up, you blame him.


Arturo: When did your brother die?
Tommaso Mazzarella: It's still raw. Five years ago...
Tenente Philip Catelli: Five years ago? Five years... How long do you wear mourning?
Arturo: At least seven years, or what would people think?
Tenente Philip Catelli: Why is it so important what people here think?
Arturo: Lieutenant, if people found out I didn't care what people think... what would people think of me?

Mimmo: Remember when I told you I wanted to declare my love to someone?
Saro: Oh, yeah... You met a woman?
Mimmo: No, what's that got to do with...? No, I mean that I like being with you.
Saro: I like being with you too, or we couldn't have stuck it out... for 20 years.
Mimmo: No, Saro... I really like you.
Saro: I'm glad. It's important to be liked. It boosts your self-confidence.
Mimmo: No, Saro... I love you.
Saro: Mimmo... People already think we're oddballs because I'm blind and you're crippled. All we need is for them to think we're a couple of fruits. We can't let that happen.
Mimmo: No.
Saro: Right?

Don Calò: My dear Crisafullians, this is your new mayor speaking. Today, dear friends, is a special day, a happy day, because thanks to the Americans, we have received a gift, something wonderful. Democracy has come to Crisafullo!

Don Calò: Now... what is this democracy? I'll explain. Democracy... is like the birth of a child... Cause for celebration! And why do we celebrate? Because this child... is our future, and so is democracy. But we need to nurture it, protect it, hold the precious creature by the hand, so it doesn't get hurt. We must raise it in the sunlight of our beautiful land, far from the cold, the biting cold of those dark lands where the devil lives, because, let's be clear, we do not like these Russians, these Communists. And that's why the Americans trust us.
     Now, I know some people won't like this, because they say we're not good people, we're not respectable, we're dangerous... Us, dangerous?!
     So I ask you, and I know you, each and every one, when you needed protection, who did you turn to, them or us? When you needed work, who did you go to, them or us? When you needed justice, who did you come to? To us. You came to us! Us... We have survived everything from wars, to governments, to Fascists, to Nazis and we'll survive the Communists, too! Because the truth is that in this country, we are democracy!

--
On the IMDb
+ Soundtracks!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий