3 мая 2016 г.

The Apartment

& C.C. Baxter: On November 1, 1959, the population of New York City was 8,042,783. If you laid them all end to end, figuring an average height of 5 feet 6 1/2 inches... they would reach from Times Square to the outskirts of Karachi, Pakistan. I know facts like this because I work for an insurance company, Consolidated Life. We’re one of the top five companies in the country. Our home office has 31,259 employees... which is more than the entire population of, uh... Natchez, Mississippi. I work on the 19th floor. Ordinary Policy Department... Premium Accounting Division, Section W, desk number 861. My name is C.C. Baxter: C for Calvin, C for Clifford. But most people call me Bud. I’ve worked here three years, ten months, and my take-home pay is $94.70 a week.

& C.C. Baxter: You see, I have this little problem with my apartment. I live in the West 60s, just half a block from Central Park. My rent is $85 a month. It used to be $80 until last July... when Mrs. Lieberman, the landlady, put in a second-hand air conditioner. It’s a real nice apartment. Nothing fancy, but kind of cozy. Just right for a bachelor...

& Fran: You know, you’re the only one who takes his hat off in the elevator... Something happens to men in elevators. It’s the change of altitude. The blood rushes to their head.

& Sheldrake: How many charter members are there in this little club?
    C.C. Baxter: Just those four. Out of a total of 31,259. So actually we can be very proud of our personnel... percentagewise.
    Sheldrake: That’s not the point. Four rotten apples in a barrel, however large the barrel... Do you realize if this ever leaked out...

& C.C. Baxter: Four apples, five apples. What’s the difference? Percentagewise.

& C.C. Baxter: We could get a bite to eat first, and then go.
    Fran: Oh, you mean tonight? I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m meeting somebody.
    C.C. Baxter: Oh. You mean... like a girlfriend?
    Fran: No. Like a man.


& Mr. Kirkeby: So you got yourself a girl. That’s OK with us. But not every night in the week! How selfish can you get? Last week I had to use my nephew’s car and take Sylvia to a drive-in in Jersey. I’m too old for that sort of thing... I mean in a Volkswagen.

& Sheldrake: You see a girl every week for laughs and they think you’re gonna divorce your wife. Now I ask you, is that fair?
    Baxter: No, sir. It’s very unfair. Especially to your wife.

& Baxter: A second administrative assistant has to be a pretty good judge of character. And as far as I’m concerned, you’re tops. I mean decencywise and... otherwisewise.

& Fran: What’s the matter?
    Sheldrake: The mirror. It’s broken.
    Fran: Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel.

& Baxter: I said I had no family. I didn’t say I had an empty apartment.

& Fran: ...And I laughed so much, I like to died.

& Fran: How could I be so stupid? You’d think I would’ve learned by now. When you’re in love with a married man, you shouldn’t wear mascara.

& Margie: You got a girlfriend?
    Baxter: She may be a girl but she is no friend of mine.

& Baxter: Let’s not waste any more time preliminarywise.

& Dr. Dreyfuss: Why don’t you grow up, Baxter? Be a mensch. You know what that means?
    Baxter: I’m not sure.
    Dr. Dreyfuss: A mensch! A human being!

& Mrs. Dreyfuss: You wouldn’t have such a thing as a napkin, would you?
    Baxter: I have some paper towels...
    Mrs. Dreyfuss: Beatnik.

& Fran: I think I’m gonna give it all up.
    Baxter: Give what up?
    Fran: Why do people have to love people, anyway?
    Baxter: I know what you mean.

& Fran: What do you call it when somebody keeps gettin’ smashed up in car accidents?
    Baxter: Bad insurance risk?
    Fran: That’s me with men.

& Fran: Why can’t I ever fall in love with somebody nice like you?..
    Baxter: Yeah. Well... That’s the way it crumbles, cookiewise.

& Fran: He’s a taker.
    Baxter: What?
    Fran: Some people take, some people get took. And they know they’re gettin’ took and there’s nothin’ they can do about it.

& Fran: Cut.
    Baxter: I love you, Miss Kubelik.
    Fran: Three. Queen.
    Baxter: Did you hear what I said, Miss Kubelik? I absolutely adore you.
    Fran: Shut up and deal.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий