12 окт. 2021 г.

Downton Abbey 3×2

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Just how long is she here for?
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Who knows?
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: No guest should be admitted with no departure date settled.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: You won't get any argument from me.

Isobel Crawley: I've found myself a new occupation, but Violet doesn't think it's appropriate.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Can we talk about it afterwards?
Martha Levinson: Are there still forbidden subjects in 1920? I can't believe this.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: I speak of taste rather than law.
Martha Levinson: Well, it's not my taste.

Martha Levinson: So you want me to contribute?
Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham: You don't have to give money after every conversation.
Martha Levinson: No? Isn't that what the English expect of rich Americans?

Mrs. Hughes: What's going on here?
Mr. Carson: Alfred has embarrassed the family. He forced Mr Matthew to appear downstairs improperly dressed.
Mrs. Hughes: You make it sound quite exciting.
Mr. Carson: I will not tolerate vulgarity!

Lady Mary Crawley: This dinner has to be the grandest of the grand.
Matthew Crawley: What do you hope to show her?
Lady Mary Crawley: Why Downton matters, why it mustn't fall apart.

Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham: What are you so afraid of? If we sell, we move to a smaller house and a more modest estate. We don't have to go down the mine.
Lady Mary Crawley: You don't understand.
Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham: Mary, a lot of people live in smaller houses than they used to.
Lady Mary Crawley: Which shows you're American and I'm English. I shall be Countess of Grantham one day and the Countess of Grantham lives at Downton Abbey.

John Bates: What? Sell Downton? That makes me sad. I wouldn't have thought much could touch me in here, but that does.

Joseph Molesley: It hasn't come. They promised and promised and I thought it was sure to be on the 7 o'clock but it's not.
Matthew Crawley: I'll just have to wear a black tie.
Joseph Molesley: But Lady Mary, surely...
Matthew Crawley: These things don't matter as much as they did, Lady Mary knows that.

Lady Mary Crawley: Granny, come and see what we've done.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Oh.
Lady Mary Crawley: What do you think?
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Nothing succeeds like excess.

Martha Levinson: You two are dressed for a barbecue. I feel like a Chicago bootlegger.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: That sounds almost as peculiar as you look.

Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham: Nothing's cooked and nothing's going to be cooked.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: But surely...
Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham: Shall we tell them to go home?
Martha Levinson: No, they've come for a party, we'll give them a party. Clear the table, go down to the larders, bring up bread, fruit, cheese, chicken, ham. We're going to have an indoor picnic. They're going to eat whatever they want, wherever they want.
Mr. Carson: Are you quite sure, madam? It's not how we do it.
Martha Levinson: How you used to do it.

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Do you think I might have a drink? Oh, I'm so sorry, I thought you were a waiter.

Alfred Nugent: Why are you being so nice to me?
Reed: Because I like you.
Alfred Nugent: And you can say it, just like that?
Reed: I'm an American, Alfred, and this is 1920. Time to live a little.

Martha Levinson: I cannot rescue Downton. It's a shame if it has to go, but I can't.
Lady Mary Crawley: But why not?
Martha Levinson: Because your grandpa tied the money down. He felt the Crawley family had quite enough.
Lady Mary Crawley: But you said you'd help us.
Martha Levinson: I can entertain all of you in Newport and in New York and I can add to Cora's dress allowance, but that's all. My income is generous but I cannot touch the capital. Besides, Mary, the world has changed. These houses were built for another age. Are you sure you want to continue with the bother of it all?
Lady Mary Crawley: Quite sure.
Martha Levinson: If I knew I was going to lose it, I'd look on the sunny side...

Martha Levinson: Both of our husbands tied the money up tight before they were taken.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Lord Grantham wasn't taken. He died.

Martha Levinson: You know, the way to deal with the world today is not to ignore it. If you do you'll just get hurt.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Sometimes, I feel like a creature in the wilds whose natural habitat is gradually being destroyed.
Martha Levinson: Some animals adapt to new surroundings. It seems a better choice than extinction.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: I don't think it is a choice. I think it's what's in you.
Martha Levinson: Let's hope that what's in you will carry you through these times to a safer shore.

Mr. Carson: The kitchen managed well tonight in difficult circumstances. His lordship sent his thanks.
Mrs. Hughes: Was the evening a success?
Mr. Carson: The odd thing is I think it was. For me, everyone sprawled on the floor eating like beaters at a break in the shooting isn't a party, it's a works outing. Where's the style, Mrs Hughes? Where's the show?
Mrs. Hughes: Perhaps people are tired of style and show.
Mr. Carson: Well, in my opinion, to misquote Dr Johnson, if you're tired of style, you are tired of life.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий