31 мая 2011 г.

Lie to Me 1x1

Pilot

Season 1, Episode 1


& Neo-nazi lawyer: I’ve instructed my client to remain silent. He’s not gonna talk.
    Dr. Cal Lightman: That’s okay. That’s okay. I don’t have much faith in words myself. Statistically speaking, the average person tells three lies per ten minutes’ conversation. And granted, it’s just regular people.

& Cal: Now what you just saw there was a brief expression of happiness on his face which he was trying his best to conceal. It lasted for less than a fifth of a second. It’s what we call a “microexpression.” Now, look at his mouth. The suspect is secretly happy.

& Cal: Classic one-sided shrug. Translation: “I’ve absolutely no confidence of what I just said.” The body contradicts the words.

& Cal: When you accuse the suspect, and he acts surprised, is there a way to tell if it’s real or if he’s just trying to look innocent? Now that’s real surprise. Lasts for less than a second when it comes across your face, but if your suspect is surprised for more than a second, he’s faking it. He’s lying.

& Cal: Concealed scorn*. One personal tip.You see this microexpression in your spouse’s face, your marriage is coming to an end. Trust me.

& AUSA Hutchinson: I thought you could tell somebody was lying just by looking at them.
    Dr. Gillian Foster: The question is never simply if someone is lying; it’s why.

& Gillian: Hurdles?
    Cal: Could have run hurdles.

& Cal: When I asked James about his best race, he broke eye contact in order to remember and answer truthfully. And when I asked him about his run the night of the murder, he never broke eye contact. He wasn’t recalling a memory. He was lying.
    AUSA Hutchinson: But I thought most people avoid eye contact when they’re lying.
    Cal: No, it’s a myth. And quite often, they make more eye contact. They need to watch, see if you believe their lies.


& Gillian: Question: “Have you ever been to her house?” Answer: “No, I have never been to her house.” Rigid repetition like that is typical of a lie.

& Cal: He had his left hand in his pants pocket pressed against his leg the whole time.
    Gillian: We’re not all hiding something. ... You think I’m naive just because I don’t share your twisted view of the world.
    Cal: That and you read romance novels.
    Gillian: Yes, I do. Because they make me happy. A pursuit I highly recommend to you.
    Cal: Truth or happiness, never both.

& Emily: You just go let Dan in while I finish getting ready, and you better not do some covert scientific technique to find out what we’re doing or not doing tonight. Promise.
    Cal: No covert science,I promise. ... Hi, Dan.
    Dan: Hi, Dr. Lightman.
    Cal: Are you going to try and have sex with my daughter tonight?

& Gillian: Now just tell it to me backwards.
    Congressman Weil: What?
    Gillian: Start at the end of the night and work backwards.
    Weil: Before the event at the Smithsonian, I, uh... well, as I told you, I did some reading. And, uh... before that, I, uh...
    Ria Torres: That guy’s lying his ass off.
    Gillian: Yes, he is. When you’re lying, it’s hard to tell a story backwards, because there’s no real memory of what happened. Liars rehearse their stories in order. They don’t think to rehearse them backwards.

& Cal: Well we all pay for sex one way or another. At least hookers are honest about the price.

& Gillian: Was there wrinkling around her eyes when she smiled?
    Torres: Yeah, there was.
    Gillian: Then it was real. In a fake smile, there’s no eye wrinkling.

& Cal: Look at that hand... It’s tensed. Turned upwards at her side like this.
    Gillian: Is that a gestural emblem?
    Cal: Yeah. When we make it consciously... the meaning’s clear. Stop.

& Gillian: You could have just told me what this was for.
    Cal: No, you’re a terrible liar.
    Gillian: Normal people think that’s a good thing.
    Cal: You saying I’m not normal?

& Torres: What are we gonna say about the congressman?
    Cal: Nothing.
    Torres: So we’re just gonna let him throw away his career? We’re basically gonna lie?
    Cal: Not basically.
    Torres: So you lie to your partner about her husband and you lie to the people who hired us. What am I supposed to believe about you?
    Cal: You believe whatever you want. Everyone else does.


-- Dict:
scorn — презрение; пренебрежение; насмешка

+ on Imdb.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий