2 июн. 2013 г.

Before Sunrise

& Jesse: Do you have any idea what they were arguing about?

& Celine: Have you heard that as couples age... they lose their ability to hear each other?
    Jesse: No.
    Celine: Supposedly, men lose their ability to hear high-pitched sounds... and women eventually lose hearing in the low end. I guess so they nullify each other.
    Jesse: I guess. Nature’s way of allowing couples to grow old together... without killing each other.

& Jesse: You know what? Not service oriented. Just an observation about Europe.

& Jesse: Think of it like this. Jump ahead 10, 20 years, okay? And you’re married. Only your marriage doesn’t have that same energy it used to have. You start to blame your husband. You think about all those guys you’ve met in your life... and what might’ve happened if you’d picked up with one of them. I’m one of those guys. That’s me. So think of this as time travel... from then to now to find out what you’re missing out on. What this could be is a gigantic favor... to you and your husband to find out you’re not missing anything. I’m just as big a loser as he is. Unmotivated. Boring. You made the right choice. You’re happy.

& Celine: You know, I’ve been wondering lately... do you know anyone who’s in a happy relationship?
    Jesse: Yeah, sure. You know, I know happy couples. But I think they lie to each other.
    Celine: Yeah. People can live their whole life as a lie. My grandmother was married... and I thought she had an uncomplicated love life. But she just confessed to me that she spent her whole life... dreaming about another man she was in love with. She just accepted her fate. It’s so sad. In the same time, I love that she had these emotions... and feelings I never thought she had.
    Jesse: I guarantee you it was better that way. If she’d known him, he’d have disappointed her eventually.
    Celine: How do you know?
    Jesse: I know. I know. People put romantic projections on everything. It’s not based in any kind of reality.

& Palm Reader: You’re both stars. Don’t forget. When the stars exploded billions of years ago... they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust. So don’t forget, you are stardust.


& Jesse: You know what drives me crazy? People talking about... how great technology is, how it saves all this time. But what good is saved time if nobody uses it? If it just turns into more busy work. I never hear anybody say, “With the time I’ve saved using my word processor... I’m gonna go to a Zen monastery and hang out.” You don’t hear that.
    Celine: Time is so abstract anyway.

& Jesse: I kind of see love... as this escape for two people who don’t know how to be alone. It’s funny. People always talk about how... love is this totally unselfish, giving thing. But if you think about it, there’s nothing more selfish.

& Jesse: You know what’s the worst thing about somebody breaking up with you? It’s when you remember how little you thought about... the people you broke up with, and you realize... that that is how little they’re thinking about you. You’d like to think you’re both in pain... but really, they’re just, “Hey, I’m glad you’re gone.”

& Celine: I always feel this pressure of being... a strong and independent icon of womanhood... and not making it look like... my whole life is revolving around some guy. But loving someone... and being loved means so much to me. I always make fun of it and stuff... but isn’t everything we do in life... a way to be loved a little more?
    Jesse: I don’t know. Sometimes I dream... about being a good father and a good husband. And sometimes it feels really close. But then other times... it seems silly... like it would... ruin my whole life. And it’s not just a fear of commitment... or that I’m incapable of caring or loving because... I can. It’s just that, if I’m totally honest with myself... I think I’d rather die knowing... that I was really good at something. That I had excelled in some way... than that I’d just been in... a nice, caring relationship.

& Celine: I believe if there’s any kind of God... it wouldn’t be in any of us... not you or me... but just this little space in between. If there’s any kind of magic in this world... it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something. I know, it’s almost impossible to succeed... but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt.

& Jesse: Everything is so finite. But don’t you think that’s what... makes our time and specific moments so important?

& Jesse: I know what you mean about wishing somebody wasn’t there. It’s just, usually, it’s myself... that I wish I could get away from. Seriously, think about this. I have never been anywhere... that I haven’t been. I’ve never had a kiss... when I wasn’t one of the kissers. You know, I’ve never... gone to the movies when I wasn’t there in the audience. I’ve never been out bowling if I wasn’t there... making some stupid joke. That’s why so many people hate themselves. Seriously. It’s just, they are sick to death... of being around themselves. Let’s say that you and I were together all the time. You’d start to hate a lot of my mannerisms. The way... the way every time that we would have people over... I’d be insecure, and I’d get a little too drunk. Or the way I tell the same stupid, pseudo-intellectual story... again and again. You see, I’ve heard all those stories... so of course I’m sick of myself. But being with you... it’s made me feel like I was somebody else. I mean, the only other way to lose yourself like that is... you know, dancing... or alcohol... or drugs, or stuff like that.
    Celine: Fucking.
    Jesse: Fucking, yeah. That’s one way.

& Celine: Do you know what I want?
    Jesse: What?
    Celine: To be kissed.
    Jesse: Well, I could do that.

& It’s like some male fantasy. Meet a French girl, fuck her and never see her again. And have this great story to tell.

& Celine: You don’t want to see me again?
    Jesse: No, of course I do. If somebody gave me the choice right now... of to never see you again or to marry you... I would marry you. Maybe that’s a lot of romantic bullshit... but people have gotten married for a lot less.

& Celine: When you talked earlier about after a few years... how a couple would begin to hate each other... by anticipating their reactions... or getting tired of their mannerisms. I think it would be the opposite for me. I think I can really fall in love when I know everything about someone. The way he’s gonna part his hair... which shirt he’s gonna wear that day... knowing the exact story he’d tell in a given situation. I’m sure that’s when I know I’m really in love.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ Perfect movie.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий