30 июл. 2018 г.

A Very English Scandal #1.3

Jeremy Thorpe: But evidence goes missing all the time! Policemen lie. Why can't this stuff just disappear? Why is everyone suddenly so bloody honest?

Jeremy Thorpe: Technically he was Bunny, singular.
Marion Thorpe: Then why did you say "Bunnies"? Were there two of you? Are you a Bunny? Am I married to a Bunny?
Jeremy Thorpe: No, I was using a generic noun in an imperative clause.
Marion Thorpe: Well, thank God it's grammatically correct, because the whole country's reading this! Bunnies!

Jeremy Thorpe: I have resigned as leader of the Liberal Party. One word. One bloody word brought me down.
Marion Thorpe: No, it wasn't Bunnies. It's because you lied...

Marion Thorpe: Jeremy, I'm not a fool. I practically grew up with Benjamin Britten. I've seen something of the world. I fled from Hitler, for God's sake. My own son married a hippie in a yurt, and I've toured with orchestras. I couldn't begin to tell you the things I've seen, so there's no need to protect me.

Minehead Magistrate: How do you plead, Mr Thorpe?
Jeremy Thorpe: I will vigorously defend these charges and plead not guilty.

George Carman: I have friends in high places. Even better friends in low places.

George Carman: I want to say, congratulations.
Jeremy Thorpe: What for?
George Carman: These are the greatest charges ever levelled against a Member of Parliament, and considering the House of Commons has had 270 years of bastards, liars, perverts, thieves, blackmailers, inbreds and arsonists, that really is quite an achievement.

George Carman: Peter Bessell, a good friend of yours. How do you want me to handle it?
Jeremy Thorpe: He's a Judas...

Norman Josiffe: These men, they went to Eton and Harrow and Oxford. I went to a secondary modern in Bexleyheath. They're going to destroy me!

George Carman: You could have warned me that Norman Scott is so fucking clever!

Norman Josiffe: All I wanted was... my National Insurance card.


Norman Josiffe: I don't care about the money, but I do care how men like me are shoved into corners and masturbated in the dark and then thrown out the door like we're dirt, like we're nothing, like we don't exist! And all the history books get written with men like me missing. So, yes, I will talk, I will be heard and I will be seen, Your Honour! You can pay me or not pay me, I don't care, but the one thing you will not do is shut me up!

Norman Josiffe: I was rude, I was vile, I was queer, I was myself.

George Carman: This is the story of a liar meeting a fantasist... but I'm not sure which one's which.

Jeremy Thorpe: Yes, I think that people will take my word rather than his, yes.
George Carman: But the jury have just seen him in all his glory, an open homosexual, the new world blazing. In contrast, you might seem a little... old...

Jeremy Thorpe: Are we running in fear from Norman Scott? Are we?

George Carman: Consider the balance of the scales of justice above us. If you don't take the stand, you could look like a liar. If you do take the stand... you could look like a liar.
Jeremy Thorpe: So, which is it to be?

Edna Friendship: Ugh, it's the establishment, same as ever. This whole thing has been a stitch-up, right from the start.

George Carman: Old fool... This thing should be won by me, not the judge.

George Carman: That's the law, I'm afraid. The jury retires and bail is withdrawn until the verdict is reached.

George Carman: ...but I still keep wondering something else. Why Norman?

Jeremy Thorpe: Well, I would imagine... I can only speculate, but... if you do know those men, George... then you know those nights... and you know how those nights can end. .... Given those men... maybe, I suppose, one could imagine... that Norman Scott was the best.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий