14 янв. 2012 г.

Rome 2x5

Heroes of the Republic

& Cicero: My dear boy... You are a hero of the Republic. Caesar himself could not have conjured a finer victory.
    Octavian: I am Caesar himself... technically speaking.

& Octavian: If I cannot have a triumph, I was rather thinking of taking the Consul’s chair.
    Cicero: You wish to be consul?
    Octavian: It’s a vanity, I know. But I think I deserve it, and it would please my men.
    Cicero: You’re 19! You’re too young to be a senator, leave alone consul. My dear boy, you’ve been listening to bad advice. You have no experience. You have no connections.
    Agrippa: He has an army!
    Cicero: Well... I’ll speak with the other senators. We’ll see if it’s possible. Though if you were to be consul... you must promise to be guided... by my counsel.
    Octavian: It is an office of high complexity. And I am well aware of my inexperience. I will not utter a word without your advice, your... consent*.

& Pullo: If both of you were drowning in the river, I’d save you first. No question.
    Eirene: Swear?
    Pullo: I swear. ... You’re half his weight.
    Eirene: Half?
    Pullo: Half his weight. Not so heavy. Easier to save. Never mind.


& General Lepidus: I confess I had no idea how popular you are with the rank and file.
    Mark Antony: Soldiers like a little spit and dirt in their leaders. You were too noble for them, perhaps... Too aristocratic.

& Mark Antony: Would you be willing to act as my second in command?
    Lepidus: Dear me! That’s very generous of you. I...
    Mark Antony: Yes or no?
    Lepidus: Well, I... I can’t really say no, can I?
    Mark Antony: No, you can’t.

& Cicero: We welcome this new beginning by swearing in the youngest consul in the history of Rome. Gaius Octavian... Caesar.
    Octavian: Esteemed senators... I take this first moment before you not to glorify myself, but to honor my father. In his honor I declare that my term as Consul shall usher in a new era. An era of moral virtue, of dignity. The debauchery and chaos we have had to endure will now end. Rome shall be again as she once was — a proud republic of virtuous women and honest men.

& Octavian: As my first act in this reborn republic, and in honor of my father, I propose a motion... to declare Brutus and Cassius murderers and enemies of the state.
    Cicero: Outrageous! ... My dear boy, this is not what we agreed.
    Octavian: It is not. Nevertheless, here we are.
    Cicero: Brutus and Cassius still have many friends. You will split the chamber, the unity of the Republic!
    Octavian: Step away from my chair! My father died on this floor. Right there. Stabbed 27 times. Butchered... by men he called his friends. Who will tell me that is not murder? Who will tell my legions, who love Caesar as I do, that that is not murder? Who will speak against the motion?

& Atia: Exactly what are you doing with my daughter in the middle of the night?
    Octavia: He... abducted me. I was at a perfectly nice party with Jocasta, and this impud... impudent brute abducted me.
    Atia: And brought you home to Mother. That’s a strange abduction.

& Vorenus: Family!

-- Dict:
consent — согласие; разрешение

+ quotes on the Imdb.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий