12 янв. 2012 г.

The Help

& Aibileen Clark: You is kind. You is smart. You is important.

& Elizabeth Leefolt: Hilly, I wish you’d just go use the bathroom.
    Hilly Holbrook: I’m fine.
    Missus Walters: Oh, she’s just upset because the nigra uses the guest bath and so do we.

& Elizabeth: Just go use mine and Raleigh’s.
    Hilly: If Aibileen uses the guest bath, I’m sure she uses yours, too.
    Elizabeth: She does not!

& Hilly: {...} It’s just plain dangerous. They carry different diseases than we do. That’s why I’ve drafted the Home Health Sanitation Initiative.
    Eugenia ’Skeeter’ Phelan: The what?
    Hilly: A disease-preventative bill that requires every white home to have a separate bathroom for the coloured help. It’s been endorsed by the White Citizens’ Council.
    Skeeter: Maybe we should just build you a bathroom outside, Hilly.
    Hilly: You ought not to joke about the coloured situation. I’ll do whatever it takes to protect our children.

& Charlotte Phelan: I need to ask you something. I read the other day about how some girls get unbalanced. They start thinking these... unnatural thoughts. Are you... Do you, uh... find men attractive? Are you having unnatural thoughts about girls or women?
    Skeeter: Oh, my God.
    Charlotte: Because this article says there’s a cure. A special root tea!

& Constantine: I wish you’d quit feeling sorry for yourself. Now, that’s ugly. Ugly is something that goes up inside you. Every day... Every day you’re not dead in the ground, when you wake up in the morning, you’re gonna have to make some decisions. Got to ask yourself this question: “Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today?” ... All right? As for your mama, she didn’t pick her life. It picked her. But you... you’re gonna do something big with yours.

“No person shall require any white female to nurse in wards or rooms in which Negro men are placed.
    Books shall not be interchangeable between the white and coloured schools, but shall continue to be used by the race first using them.
    No coloured barber shall serve as a barber to white women or girls.
    Any person printing, publishing or circulating written matter urging for public acceptance or social equality between whites and Negroes is subject to imprisonment.”


& Aibileen: I ain’t never had no white person in my house before.


& Aibileen: Miss Skeeter... what if you don’t like what I got to say... about white people?
    Skeeter: This isn’t about me. It doesn’t matter how I feel.

& Minny: You cooking white food, you taste it with a different spoon. If they see you put the tasting spoon back in the pot, might as well throw it all out. Spoon, too.
    And you use the same cup, same fork, same plate every day. And you put it up in the cabinet. You tell that white woman that’s where you’re gonna keep it from now on out. Don’t do it and see what happens.
    When you’re serving white folks coffee, set it down in front of them. Don’t hand it to them, ’cause your hands can’t touch.
    And don’t hit on they children. White folks like to do they own spanking.
    And last thing. Come here. Look at me. No sass*-mouthing. No sass-mouthing. I mean it.

& Charlotte: Skeeter! Now remember, no gentleman wants to spend the evening with a sourpuss*. Don’t mope*! Smile! And for heaven’s sakes, don’t sit like some squaw Indian! Cross your ankles!

& Minny: You got to tell him. Ain’t he wondering how the cooking’s so good?
    Celia Foote: You’re right. Maybe we ought to burn the chicken a little.
    Minny: Minny don’t burn fried chicken.

& Minny: Me and Aibileen done asked everybody we know. Thirty-one maids. They all too scared. Think we crazy.
    Skeeter: If we don’t get more, we’re not getting published.
    Minny: I gots plenty stories, Miss Skeeter. Just write them down and invent the maid that said it. You’re already making up names. Just make up the maids, too.

& Aibileen: Mrs. Leefolt should not be having babies. Put that in the book.

& Henry: What’s going on out there, mister?
    Bus driver: Coloured people off. The rest of you, let me know where you’re going. I’ll get you close as I can.
    White passenger: What happened?
    Bus driver: I don’t know. Some nigger got shot.

& Celia: They don’t hate me. They hate what they think I did.
    Minny: They hate you ’cause they think you white trash.

& Hilly: So... Nobody wanted to hire a sass-mouthing, thieving nigra. Did they? ... Oh. Pie’s as good as always, Minny.
    Minny: I’m glad you like it.
    Hilly: Mmm... Oh... If I take you back, I’ll have to cut your pay five dollars a week.
    Minny: Take me back?!
    Hilly: What do you put in here that makes it taste so good?
    Minny: That good vanilla from Mexico... and something else real special.
    Hilly: Mmm...
    Minny: No, no, no, Missus Walters. That’s Miss Hilly’s special pie.
    Hilly: Mama can have a piece! Cut her one. Go get a plate!
    Minny: ... Eat my shit!
    Hilly: What’d you say?
    Minny: I said, “Eat... my... shit.”
    Hilly: Have you lost your mind?
    Minny: No, ma’am, but you about to, ’cause you just did.
    Hilly: Did what?!
    Missus Walters: And you didn’t eat just one. You had two slices! ... Run, Minny, run!

& Charlotte: Charlotte Phelan: You know Hilly, if I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’ve been eating too much pie.
    Hilly: Mrs. Phelan, I came here...
    Charlotte: In fact, I’m sure of it. Now you get your raggedy ass off my porch!

& Charlotte: Courage sometimes skips a generation. Thank you for bringing it back to our family.

& Aibileen: Who we clapping for?
    Minny: Honey, we clapping for you!

--
sass — нахальство; пререкаться
sourpuss — ворчун
mope — хандрить

+ quotes on the Imdb.

__ This's just 50 years ago!.. OMG Such a dramatic changes for so short period of time.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий