4 сент. 2021 г.

Downton Abbey 1×2

Matthew Crawley: I still don't see why I couldn't just refuse it.
Isobel Crawley: There's no mechanism for you to do so. You will be an earl. You will inherit the estate. Of course, you can throw it away when you have it. That's up to you.

Matthew Crawley: I won't let them change me.
Isobel Crawley: Why would they want to?
Matthew Crawley: Mother, Lord Grantham has made the unwelcome discovery that his heir is a middle-class lawyer and the son of a middle-class doctor.
Isobel Crawley: Upper middle class.

Isobel Crawley: What should we call each other?
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Well, we could always start with Mrs Crawley and Lady Grantham.

Lady Mary Crawley: What will you do with your time?
Matthew Crawley: I've got a job in Ripon, and I've said I'll start tomorrow.
Lady Edith Crawley: A job?!

Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: You do know I mean to involve you in the running of the estate?
Matthew Crawley: Oh, don't worry. There are plenty of hours in the day. And of course I'll have the weekend.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: We'll discuss this later, we mustn't bore the ladies.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: What is a weekend?

Mr. Carson: To progress in your chosen career, William, you must remember that a good servant, at all times, retains a sense of pride and dignity that reflects the pride and dignity of the family he serves. And never make me remind you of it again.

Joseph Molesley: He chooses his clothes himself. He puts them out at night and hangs the ones he's worn. I get to take the linen down to the laundry. But that's about all.
John Bates: That's all?
Joseph Molesley: "I'll do this", he says, "I'll take the other". "I'll tie that". And I'm just stood there like a chump watching a man get dressed. To be honest, Mr Bates, I don't see the point of it.

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Why do you always have to pretend to be nicer than the rest of us?
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Perhaps I am.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Then pity your wife, whose fortune must go to this odd young man, who talks about "weekends" and "jobs".

Thomas Barrow: I don't think that's fair, not here in the servant's hall.
Sarah O'Brien: I agree. If she was a real lady, she wouldn't have come down here. She'd have rung for me and given me the button, that's all. This isn't her territory.
Thomas Barrow: We can say what we like down here.
Mrs. Hughes: Who says?
Thomas Barrow: The law. And Parliament. There is such a thing as free speech.
Mrs. Hughes: Not when I'm in charge.

Matthew Crawley: I'll never get used to being dressed like a doll.
Joseph Molesley: Only trying to help, sir.
Matthew Crawley: Of course. And if I've offended you, I apologise. Surely you have better things to do.
Joseph Molesley: This is my job, sir.
Matthew Crawley: Well. It seems a very silly occupation for a grown man-- Look, I'm sorry if I'm... I'm sorry.

Lady Mary Crawley: You can't be serious.
Cora, Countess of Grantham: Just think about it.
Lady Mary Crawley: I don't have to think about it. Marry a man who can barely hold his knife like a gentleman?
Cora, Countess of Grantham: Oh, you exaggerate.
Lady Mary Crawley: You're American, you don't understand these things.

Matthew Crawley: Would you find me very ungrateful if I dispensed with his services?
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Why? Has he displeased you in some way?
Matthew Crawley: Not at all. It's simply that he's superfluous to our style of living.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Is that quite fair? To deprive a man of his livelihood, when he's done nothing wrong?
Matthew Crawley: Well, I wouldn't quite put it...
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Your mother derives satisfaction from her work at the hospital, I think? Some sense of selfworth?
Matthew Crawley: Certainly.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Would you really deny the same to poor old Molesley? And when you are master here, is the butler to be dismissed? Or the footmen? How many maids or kitchen staff will be allowed to stay? Or must everyone be driven out? We all have different parts to play, Matthew. And we must all be allowed to play them.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий