8 мар. 2021 г.

Radioactive (2019)

Marie Curie: Maybe it's because I'm Polish.
Bronia Sklodowska: Of course not.
Marie Curie: Or it's because I'm not a man.
Bronia Sklodowska: Well, yes, it might be that.

Bronia Sklodowska: Apologise.
Marie Curie: No! Never. I will find my own way.

Pierre Curie: You're right, you didn't tell me your name, but I do know it for three reasons. One: you're one of only 23 female scientists within the department--
Marie Curie: A prime number.
Pierre Curie: Two: I've heard about your run-ins with Professor Lippmann. They've gained you some infamy. And three: I read your paper on the magnetic properties of steel. It contained some exceptional science.

Pierre Curie: I'm asking you to share my renowned, yet basic, space with me.
Marie Curie: Why are you asking?
Pierre Curie: I have an instinct about you.
Marie Curie: An instinct is not a particularly scientific reason.
Pierre Curie: No, but it's still a reason.
Marie Curie: ... Yes.

Pierre Curie: Your equipment isn't good enough. Mine is. Your science is brilliant, but so is mine.
Marie Curie: You're proposing a partnership?
Pierre Curie: That's exactly what I'm doing.

Marie Curie: Becquerel discovered, accidentally, that uranium salts, wrapped in a black cloth, left in a drawer, left an impression on a photographic plate. And he thought that the uranium was having an unusual chemical reaction with something in the atmosphere. I say it's the element itself.
Paul Langevin: A very radical thought.
Jeanne Langevin: I still don't understand.
Marie Curie: Imagine a grape. How do you turn a grape into wine? You crush it and ferment it.
Jeanne Langevin: Yes.
Marie Curie: So, imagine a grape crushes itself, ferments itself, changes its very being. And what if I told you that as the grape turns itself into wine it releases a powerful surge of energy, power that can make things happen. You'd be excited, am I right?
Jeanne Langevin: I think so. Yes, I would.
Marie Curie: So, science is changing and the very people who are running science are the people who believed the world was flat. And I'm going to prove them wrong. Just as Newton did... We are.

Marie Curie: I will never be the woman or the wife you want me to be. You laugh at me? I have been presumptuous. I know, we hardly know each other.
Pierre Curie: I'm laughing because you've denied me the chance to propose to you.
Marie Curie: Oh yes, I have, haven't I?
Pierre Curie: Mm-hmm.
Marie Curie: Well, as a matter of scientific interest, was proposing even your intention?
Pierre Curie: Well, as a matter of scientific interest, the thought wasn't fully formed in my head yet. As you say, we hardly know each other. But yes, I suspect it was.

Pierre Curie: Marie Sklodowska... you are better than any woman I could have hoped for... and I'll never consider you my woman. And I would like to share my life with you.

Marie Curie: That's radium.
Paul Langevin: Radium?
Marie Curie: A pinprick of radium. Gathered from four tonnes of pitchblende. There's more to find, but... Isn't it the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?

Pierre Curie: We thought we would find a new element. We were wrong. It's taken four years, four tonnes of pitchblende, 40 tonnes of corrosive chemicals and 400 tonnes of water. We are here to present to you two new elements: polonium and radium.
Marie Curie: We all thought that atoms were finite and stable. Well, it turns out some of them are not, and in their instability... they emit rays. I have called this... "radioactivity".
Pierre Curie: We are here to tell you that you have fundamentally misunderstood the atom.

Pierre Curie: We've had another submission.
Marie Curie: What did they want?
Pierre Curie: Radioactive smelling salts. As a cure for baldness.
Marie Curie: What did you say?
Pierre Curie: We don't own radium, we don't have a patent and you are free to do as you will with it. If we did have a patent, we'd have a bigger laboratory...
Marie Curie: Mmm.
Pierre Curie: I know, the possibilities of science are more important...
Marie Curie: If we owned it, then people wouldn't be able to enjoy the possibilities of it. But it's trusting others to see the possibilities that I'm not sure of.
Pierre Curie: Oh, people can see the possibilities, believe me. Radioactive matches... For your radioactive cigarettes. Radioactive chocolate... Radioactive toothpaste. There's a letter in here about radioactive beauty powder. Loie Fuller wants us to do a radioactive jacket for her dance...

Bronia Sklodowska: People can't believe that I'm the sister of the famous Madame Curie.
Marie Curie: Fame is for idiots... It seems to have given Pierre some very strange ideas.
Bronia Sklodowska: Well, allow him to be strange. Enjoy his enjoyment.
Marie Curie: But spiritualism?
Bronia Sklodowska: Faith isn't such a bad thing.
Marie Curie: I have faith. I have faith in humanity, I have faith in progress, but faith in an afterlife has no scientific foundation whatsoever.

Bronia Sklodowska: You never think that Mother might be... somewhere better than this?
Marie Curie: I do. In a hole in the ground, in Poland. A place far superior to Paris.
Bronia Sklodowska: Marya, you are so cynical.
Marie Curie: No, my dear, just realistic.

Pierre Curie: Our work has been nominated for the Nobel Prize. For our discovery of radioactivity. The commendation only mentions my name. And...
Marie Curie: And?
Pierre Curie: And I told them if there's a Nobel Prize to win, we win it together...

Marie Curie: I wasn't much of a mother, was I?
Irène Curie: What does that have to do with anything right now?
Marie Curie: I'm very proud of you.
Irène Curie: Thank you. I'm very proud of you, too. It must have been so difficult, being a woman and doing all that you did.
Marie Curie: Believe me, my love, I suffered much more from lack of resources and funds than I ever did from being a woman.

Pierre Curie: You did the extraordinary. You changed the world.
Marie Curie: In the right way?
Pierre Curie: I'd rather be someone that hopes the world is full of light than fears for the darkness out there, wouldn't you?
Marie Curie: But I...
Pierre Curie: You threw a stone in the water. The ripples, you can't control. There are things to be scared of, but... there's so much to celebrate.
Marie Curie: I hope you're right. I hope you're right...


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий