2 июн. 2019 г.

Things to Come (2016)

Nathalie Chazeaux: Then consider this quotation of Rousseau's. "If there were a nation of gods, it would govern itself democratically. A government so perfect... is not suited to men." Think it over. Then we'll discuss it... Don't misinterpret it. Remember, Rousseau wrote "The Social Contract," inspiring the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. His ideas formed the Revolution.

Nathalie Chazeaux: Okay, I was a communist. Three years. No shame... Like most intellectuals then.
Heinz: Not me.
Nathalie Chazeaux: No, not you.
Heinz: She was even in the USSR.
Nathalie Chazeaux: So what? I came back disenchanted. I read Solzhenitsyn, end of story.

Nathalie Chazeaux: Your father hasn't changed since he was 18. "Starry sky above and moral law within." Already his credo in '68.

Nathalie Chazeaux: I thought you would love me forever...

Priest: What better tribute could you have rendered to your mother than becoming a philosophy teacher? For we know that doubt and questioning are inextricably bound up with faith. You have made this your life.

Nathalie Chazeaux: You know, I think I'm too old for radicality. I've done that before. I've been there. Okay, I have changed.
Elsa: But the world is the same. Only worse.


Nathalie Chazeaux: And the Unabomber wrote a book? I hope you place more value on human life.
Fabien: I want action to be compatible with thought. It isn't what you teach.
Nathalie Chazeaux: Why do you say that? I always insisted on making actions and thoughts compatible. I try to practice it myself.
Fabien: Yeah, okay. But only in the private sphere... You don't let everyday behavior betray your values. You don't envision a thought system requiring a change in your lifestyle.
Nathalie Chazeaux: Meaning?
Fabien: You think demonstrations and petitions make you a committed intellectual. Clear conscience, same lifestyle.
Nathalie Chazeaux: You mean my bourgeois lifestyle? Why not outgrow these schemes? I think they're sterile.
Fabien: Because it suits you.
Nathalie Chazeaux: Revolution is not my goal. It's true. Mine is more humble. To help kids think for themselves. We may disagree, but I thought I taught you that.

Nathalie Chazeaux: "So long as we desire, we can do without happiness. We expect to achieve it. If happiness fails to come, hope persists, and illusion's charm lasts as long as the passion causing it. Thus, this condition suffices to itself and the anxiety it inflicts is a pleasure which supplants reality, perhaps bettering it. Woe to him who has nothing to desire! He loses everything he owns. We enjoy less what we obtain than what we desire, and are happy only before becoming so."

Nathalie Chazeaux: This is the power of imagination. It compensates for the absence of the loved one with a pleasure that is purely mental, unreal in a way, yet nevertheless effective. For people with a lot of imagination, like Julie, but probably Rousseau as well, phantasmagorical satisfaction is a real comfort that supplants, replaces, carnal pleasure.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий