28 июн. 2019 г.

The Front Runner (2018)

Billy Shore: You think young people are gonna vote for George Bush?
Gary Hart: If the economy keeps up. The world changes when young people give a damn, Billy. We're the only ones who'll give a damn about them.

Billy Shore: We should have won...
Gary Hart: That's not what this was about.
Billy Shore: Then what was it about?
Gary Hart: Now they know who we are.

Kevin Sweeney: Jesus, there's a lot of Billys around here, right?
Bill Dixon: Well, I'm Bill, right? Only an 8-year-old should be called Billy.

Gary Hart: You know the last time a Democratic president came out of the West?
Bill Dixon: Never...?
Gary Hart: Exactly. The West is the future. Always has been. Still is.

AJ Parker: So, around that time you told Gail Sheehy you believed in reform marriage, what did that mean?
Gary Hart: For crying out loud! I... I was young and tired and living across the country from my wife, and I made a stupid joke. You know, this right here is why people don't want to be in public life, because someone will dredge up something you said in a moment 15 years ago and act like it somehow encapsulates your life.

Pete Murphy: Just relax.
Tom Fiedler: What am I supposed to do?
Pete Murphy: Act bored. Most people just look bored.

Pete Murphy: What does she look like?
Tom Fiedler: Attractive. You know? Hot enough to make you leave your wife.

Tom Fiedler: But, Senator, I was at your announcement speech, okay? You said... You said, "We must hold ourselves accountable..."
Gary Hart: I know what I... I know what I said.
Tom Fiedler: "...to the highest possible standards of integrity and ethics." Then why are we standing here? Why are we standing in an alley on a Saturday night? I mean, don't you think you owe it to us to be forthcoming?
Gary Hart: Owe you?
Tom Fiedler: You're denying what we've seen with our own eyes.
Gary Hart: The only thing I deny is the idea that somehow you have the right to ask me these things.
Tom Fiedler: You're running for president--
Gary Hart: I'm aware of that, Tom! It's in the papers.
Tom Fiedler: Well, you have a responsibility--
Gary Hart: I know full well what my responsibilities are!! Do you know yours?!
Pete Murphy: Senator. Have you had sex with that woman?
Gary Hart: You should be... You should be ashamed of yourself.


Ben Bradlee: Just covering their asses... I swear this is true. New Year's Eve after Jack died, Lyndon Johnson sits down with a whole bunch of us, pulls us in close and says, "Boys, you're gonna see a whole lot of women coming in and out of my hotel suites. I want you to pay us the same courtesy you did Jack." And we did.
David Broder: Different time, Ben.
Bob Kaiser: Yeah, but why? I mean, who decides that?
David Broder: The readers.
Bob Kaiser: And if the readers want to see the candidates naked?

Gary Hart: I've been doing this for 20 years. So have you. The public doesn't care about this crap. They won't stand for it. They won't.
Bill Dixon: I don't know. It... You know, it's not '72. It's not even '82. It's different now.
Gary Hart: It's not different.
Bill Dixon: I wish it wasn't. It is, and... And I don't understand why, but we have to figure out how we're gonna respond to this story.
Gary Hart: We're not... There is no story. They can write all this crap all they want. They will not earn the dignity of my response.

Bill Dixon: ... People are sacrificing for you!
Gary Hart: And I'm not sacrificing? What, should I sacrifice my privacy, Bill? My self-respect? And it won't just be me that gets dragged down. None of those kids you're talking about will work another campaign where some candidate doesn't have to account for who comes and goes from their bedroom, and that is just the beginning.

Lee Hart: I have spent 30 years of my life with your father. I have made many allowances. What, you think I should feel humiliated? Feelings that simple are a privilege of being young.

AJ Parker: Can't we let some other paper use gossip as front page news? I mean, that doesn't mean we have to.
Ben Bradlee: It does, A.J. It does now. We decline to publish, some other newspaper runs with the story. I don't know, the Poughkeepsie Journal, the Miami Herald. Maybe even The New York Times. And the TVs go apeshit over this stuff. Meanwhile, we're sitting on our high horse saying, "Well, we still don't think it's news, because guess what, we didn't think it was news before." And then the wires start running stories about how we're not covering the one thing everybody else is talking about. And so on, and so on.

AJ Parker: Hey, why do you hate him so much?
Ann Devroy: I don't hate Gary Hart. I don't think I trust him.
AJ Parker: That's one approach.
Ann Devroy: Why isn't that your approach? It's your job to be skeptical. I don't think his own wife trusts him.
AJ Parker: Come on. You don't know that.
Ann Devroy: I don't think he respects women.
AJ Parker: Are you kidding? He loves women. Too much, frankly.
Ann Devroy: He uses them.
AJ Parker: Well, come on. Aren't you being a little precious? I mean, he's smart. He's handsome. These women are throwing themselves at him.
Ann Devroy: He is a man with power and opportunity. And that takes certain responsibility. If he were just some day trader screwing around with cocktail girls, I could handle just not liking him. But as our potential next president, that makes me nervous, and as a journalist, you ought to care.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий