1 февр. 2019 г.

Mildred Pierce (1945)

Policeman on Pier: What's on your mind, lady? You know what I think? I think maybe you had an idea you'd take a swim. That's what I think... If you take a swim, I'd have to take a swim. Is that fair? Just because you feel like bumping yourself off, I gotta get pneumonia. Never thought about that, did ya? Okay, think about it.

Wally: Oh, brother. I'm so smart it's a disease.

Inspector Peterson: You know, Mrs. Beragon, being a detective is like... Well, like making an automobile. You just take all the pieces and put them together one by one. First thing you know, you got an automobile. Or a murderer.

Mildred: We lived on Corvallis Street where all the houses looked alike. Ours was number 1143. I was always in the kitchen. I felt as though I'd been born in a kitchen and lived there all my life, except for the few hours it took to get married.

Wally: You gotta be educated, Mildred. You just joined the biggest army in the world. The great American institution that never gets mentioned on the Fourth of July— a grass widow with two children to support.

Mildred: Wally, ... why can't you be friendly?
Wally: But I am being friendly.
Mildred: No, I mean it. Friendship's much more lasting than love.
Wally: Yeah, but it isn't as entertaining.

Veda: Why do you think I want money so badly? .... With this money, I can get away from you. From you and your chickens and your pies and your kitchens and everything that smells of grease. I can get away from this shack with its cheap furniture and this town and its dollar days and its women that wear uniforms and its men that wear overalls... I think I'm really seeing you for the first time in my life, and you're cheap and horrible. You think just because you made a little money, you can get a new hairdo and some expensive clothes and turn yourself into a lady, but you can't. Because you'll never be anything but a common frump, whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing. With this money, I can get away from every rotten, stinking thing that makes me think of this place or you!

Ida: Why don't you forget about her?
Mildred: I can't. I've tried, but I can't.
Ida: Well, "try, try again." That's my motto.

Ida: Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.

Ida: To the men we have loved. The stinkers.

Veda: It's your fault I'm the way I am!

--
++ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий