15 мар. 2016 г.

The Stanford Prison Experiment

& Daniel Culp: A prisoner sounds like it would be a little less work.
    Christopher Archer: Prisoner.
    Kyle: Why’s that?
    Christopher Archer: Nobody likes guards.

& Dr. Phil Zimbardo: Well, guys, I think we have our prisoners and our guards.

& Dr. Phil Zimbardo: .... And from this point forward, you should never refer to this as a study or an experiment again.

& Jacob Harding: All right, listen up. From now on, you will be known as Prisoner 8612 and only as 8612. And you will, at all times, refer to us as Mr. Correctional Officer. You got it?

& Dr. Phil Zimbardo: We’re trying to strip away their individuality... Make them uniform, feminize them... Yes. Feminize them. Take away all the things that make them them. You see, we’re trying to understand how an institution affects an individual’s behavior. We’re trying to do something... We’re trying to do something good.

& Anthony Carroll: Nobody steps in?
    Christopher Archer: Well, yeah, I mean, they don’t really have a choice, you know? Who’s gonna step in? I mean, you know, you’re the boss man.
    Anthony Carroll: Hell yeah. Wow.
    Christopher Archer: They got to do what you say.

& 8612: If we can convince the others, the odds favor us, man. It’s what they’d do in a real prison.
    819: Wait, what are you...
    8612: Think about it. There’s only ever three of them. There’s nine of us. How many more of us can they throw in here?

& Mike: Should we step in? Phil?
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: No. Let the guards figure it out. Let’s see where it goes.
    Kyle: This is where it goes.
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: It’s only been a day. Let the guards handle it.
    Kyle: I think this whole thing is taking a turn for the worse...
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: Hey! Let ’em handle it.


& Dr. Phil Zimbardo: I think you guys are both missing the point. ... You missing something. No, here’s the point. The only thing that separates those two was a coin flip.

& Jim: What’s the independent variable in your study?
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: I’m sorry?
    Jim: Have you introduced a variable that might influence your outcome? This is an experiment, right? Not just a simulation.
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: Are you challenging me, Jim?
    Jim: No, I’m not challenging. I just...
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: Well, while I would love to sit here and explain my prison to you, I actually have more pressing matters than whether or not you understand the academics of my work.

& Father MacAllister: What’s your name?
    819: ... 8‒819?
    Father MacAllister: It’s not a trick question, son...
    819: It’s 819.
    Father MacAllister: And what steps are you taking to secure your release?

& 819: They think I’m a bad prisoner, but I’m not, I swear I’m not!
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: Hey. Hey. You’re not even a prisoner at all... And that’s not a prison. It’s a hallway... With a bunch of empty offices in the basement of Jordan Hall. You’re free to go. Okay?

& Jesse: You know what? It was an experiment, and I went along with it, but I really hate myself right now.
    Dr. Phil Zimbardo: You did nothing wrong. That was just protocol.
    Jesse: Protocol? Back in that room, I became everything I’ve hated for so long, and I let it happen. And I enjoyed it. You can’t possibly understand how it makes me feel.

& Mike: We have become part of this experiment, whether we like it or not, and frankly, I don’t even think that we can call this an experiment anymore. It’s a demonstration, and... part of me thinks that we already have the results that we were looking for.

& Dr. Phil Zimbardo: I had no idea it would turn out this way. But... This is important... To me. But the results are important.

& Jacob Harding: The hell is your problem, boy, huh?
    416: My problem is that the guards and the people running this experiment are not treating the prisoners like human beings.
    Jacob Harding: The hell has that got to do with sausages, huh?
    416: The guards and the experimenters are clearly in...
    Jacob Harding: You address me as Mr. Correctional Officer!
    416: Mr. Correctional Officer, the guard and the experimenters are clearly in violation of the rules set up for this experiment, and I refuse to endorse an unfair system.

& Dr. Phil Zimbardo: This experiment is... Over. Did you hear what I said? This exper... This experiment is terminated from this point on.
Ω Is it?

& Daniel Culp: And I know you’re a nice guy.
    Christopher Archer: You know? Well, you don’t know that.
    Daniel Culp: No, I do. I do know that you’re a nice guy.
    Christopher Archer: Then why do you hate me?
    Daniel Culp: Because I know what you can turn into.
    Christopher Archer: If you were in my position, what would you have done?

& Daniel Culp: I don’t think I would have been as, uh... I don’t believe I would have been as inventive as you. I don’t think I would have applied as much imagination to what I was doing...

& Christopher Archer: Yes, I was running experiments of my own. ... I wanted to see just what kind of verbal abuse people can take before they start objecting, before they start lashing back. And it really surprised... It really surprised me that nobody said anything to stop me. Nobody said, «Come on, man. You... You can’t say those things to me. Those things are sick.» Nobody said that. And nobody questioned my authority at all. And it really shocked me. I-I started to get... I started to abuse people so much. I started to get so profane. And still, people didn’t say anything.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ Very disturbing. And scary.

+ The Stanford Prison Experiment was massively influential. We just learned it was a fraud. WTF?

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий