27 апр. 2021 г.

Sugarwood

Ozark 1×1


Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Scratch. Wampum. Dough. Sugar. Clams. Loot. Bills. Bones. Bread. Bucks. Money. That which separates the haves from the have-nots. But what is money? It's everything if you don't have it, right?
     Half of all American adults have more credit card debt than savings. 25% have no savings at all. And only 15% of the population is on track to fund even one year of retirement. Suggesting what? The middle class is evaporating? Or the American Dream is dead?
     You wouldn't be sitting there listening to me if the latter were true.
     You see, I think most people just have a fundamentally flawed view of money. Is it simply an agreed-upon unit of exchange for goods and services? $3.70 for a gallon of milk? Thirty bucks to cut your grass? Or is it an intangible? Security or happiness. Peace of mind...
     Let me propose a third option. Money as a measuring device.
     You see, the hard reality is how much money we accumulate in life is not a function of who's president or the economy or bubbles bursting or bad breaks or bosses. It's about the American work ethic. The one that made us the greatest country on Earth. It's about bucking the media's opinion as to what constitutes a good parent. Deciding to miss the ball game, the play, the concert, because you've resolved to work and invest in your family's future. And taking responsibility for the consequences of those actions.
     Patience. Frugality. Sacrifice. When you boil it down, what do those three things have in common? Those are choices.
     Money is not peace of mind. Money's not happiness. Money is, at its essence... that measure of a man's choices.

Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Lake of the Ozarks?
Bruce Liddell: Yeah. Lake of the Ozarks. Southern Missouri. The Redneck Riviera, baby. I thought I was gonna hate the place. Got there... almost pissed myself.
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Yeah?
Bruce Liddell: Seriously. This bad boy... This bad boy has more shoreline, literally, than the entire coast of California. Look at that. Yeah, yeah, yeah... Every summer, five million cash-rich tourists show up, descend on the place. And it's got everything. Rich, poor, bass boats, yachts, condos. You keep this. You hold on to this.

Del Rio: You know what I like about Chicago? All the Mexicans. Culture, the food, the language. The women. I feel at home. You know what I dislike about Chicago? All the fucking Mexicans. Might as well put up a sign that says, "Welcome to Chicago, drug hub of the US." FinCEN, DEA, ATF, FBI... all circling like buzzards. And where does all the drama come from? Hmm? Four sticky-fingered white men.

Martin 'Marty' Byrde: .... then I take me and my family and we go down to the Ozarks, just like I planned. And I just start washing money. Tons of it. Nothing but washed money. That's all that matters. Come on. Come on. Five years, three years, and I'll launder twice what we're doing right now. Five years... $500 million. I can do that. It's got more... more shoreline than the whole coast of California.

Wendy Byrde: Believe me, I get how hard this is. But we're a family, so we are... We're making this move as a family. We would prefer if you would... see it as an adventure.

Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Hypothetically, scale of one to ten, how difficult would it be for someone to disappear?
Private Investigator: You or him? Careful.
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: No. Just me. You know, and the family. Family of four.
Private Investigator: New IDs, social security numbers, credit cards... You could do it. For a while, anyway. Then your money'd run out. One of your kids will get online sloppy. Twitter, Instagram... Your wife has one Lemon Drop too many with her new best friend, wants to share...
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Yeah...

Martin 'Marty' Byrde: It's... That's clean. It's already clean. You want me to clean it? Again? You'd lose 15%. Another 25% in taxes. Minimum.
Del Rio: That's not the point, is it? I have to see that you can do it. I'm torn, Marty... between intrigue and thinking this whole Ozark thing is complete and utter straw-grasping bullshit. But I'm willing to roll the dice. Because you're special. You have a gift. But if I think that you're trying to fuck me... I will have to kill you... and Wendy... and Jonah... and Charlotte. And not in that order.

Del Rio: Marty, you there? What should my father do?
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Your father?
Del Rio: About Aunt Carlotta. You never answered my question. What should my father do about a woman who steals from him? A loyal woman. A mother. With him 15 years. What did my mother make him do?
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: Fire her.
Del Rio: Why?
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: It's not the first time she stole from you.
Del Rio: What was it?
Martin 'Marty' Byrde: It's the first time you caught her.

Roy Petty: Mexicans, Mafia, Muslims. We all want to believe that these people are more than they are. And they're not. If they weren't... dealing drugs, extorting businesses, flying planes into buildings, they'd be cleaning toilets. They're not criminal geniuses. They're pathological liars on the path of least resistance.

Roy Petty: Where is Martin Byrde?


+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий