2 окт. 2019 г.

Madness

Mr. Mercedes 3x2


John Rothstein: You know, not all murders are the same. Some are worse. The goddamn Constitution notwithstanding... "All men created equal"... Written and drafted by men... Who owned slaves who were just a little less equal, I guess... But even assuming that we're all born the same, some folks grow up to be bigger.

John Rothstein: You know, you shoot Joe Blow the plumber... Nothing. That's one thing. But then you kill John Lennon, that's a whole nother thing.

ADA Sarah Pace: With all due respect, Judge...
Judge Raines: Oh, shut the fuck up. Whenever somebody says "with all due respect," you know what I get? I get shit. You know? I get double-talk. I get shit mixed with double-talk. What I do not get is respect. Don't bring that shit in here.

Bill Hodges: We're about to take an inventory of your teeth as we pick them off the floor.

Bill Hodges: I have a thing for bullies, another for power junkies. You strike me as the whole ball of wax.

Alma Lane: So when you said "monumental fuckup," you were selling yourself short, Morris. You might've set yourself a Guinness world record for fuckups.

Jerome Robinson: I read up on Rothstein, and the guy was angry, and it just oozes out in that book. I also read that... reading his books can... breed melancholy into teenage boys. It's like, uh, swallowing a bad drug.

Finkelstein: Sarah Pace is excellent. If she appeals to the jury to follow the law or uphold their oath... Vigilantism fares better in the movies than in real life.

Marjorie Saubers: ...Another reason to ban guns, I suppose.
Peter Saubers: We'll never ban guns. I mean, the more people feel oppressed, especially by government, the more they cling to their right to bear arms. Government's the enemy. Once we hit the tipping point...
Tom Saubers: Where are you getting all this?
Peter Saubers: History books. It's how this country started: citizens arming themselves against government oppression.
Tom Saubers: Uh-huh. So the, uh... The people are gonna overthrow the government. Is that it?
Peter Saubers: All it takes is one bad king, right?
Tom Saubers: Well, we don't have a king, Peter. We have a democracy.
Peter Saubers: What did Winston Churchill say? "The best case against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."


Ida Silver: "There was only one"... No, wait. "I only committed one crime in my life, but it was the worst sin of all."
Bill Hodges: "Being born human." Second novel, when Jimmy's talking to the priest.

Ida Silver: What are the three thingsa man must never do?
Bill Hodges: Never apologize, never explain, never ask a woman... if she came.

Judge Raines: The law doesn't always work, Mr. Hodges. Depends on who's doing the administrating. And in my courtroom, that'd be me. As long as I can keep my seat, that is.

Judge Raines: For me to be in business, I got to stay in business, which means I got to play the populist every now and again in order to get reelected, which means those traditional judicial boundaries you see in your rearview mirror... Way tinier than they appear, which means at the end of the day, I let my conscience be my guide... which will not bode well for Lou Linklatter.
Bill Hodges: "Later." It's Lou "Link-later."
Judge Raines: "Latter," "Later." You tell Finkelfuck to plead this thing out.

Morris Bellamy: They're saying on the news that... I murdered culture, that what I did was worse than the Mr. Mercedes guy, 'cause he just killed losers, while whoever killed John Rothstein murdered... greatness.

Alma Lane: I had a great hatred for John Rothstein after that, but my animus softened with the realization that he was simply a product of our society, where the wealthy not only fail to help the less fortunate but find ways to condemn them. We live in the richest country in the world, Morris, where we get to eat cake. We don't get educated. We don't get health care. We don't get living wages. We don't get shit.

Holly Gibney: That was impressive.
Bill Hodges: What that was, was a farce. It's the media tail waving the justice dog by the balls. First those whores in Washington, now the judges.
Holly Gibney: Hear ye, hear ye. Justice dog by the balls.

Judge Raines: Before we proceed with our never-ending, unflinching quest for justice...

Judge Raines: Sua sponte. You know what sua sponte means, Counsels? Huh? It's Latin... for "I get to do whatever I want because I'm the judge."

Judge Raines: Why does nobody listen to me? Nobody listens to me. I tried to tell you, but now you got sua sponte, she gets her head examined, and we are adjourned! Nobody ever listens. That's the damn trouble with these people.

Holly Gibney: I'm sorry. It's unprofessional. You know, I'm meant to be... sane during business hours. I apologize.
Jerome Robinson: It's after business hours, so it's okay.
Bill Hodges: Holly, we're all a bit mad. It's what makes us human.
Jerome Robinson: That and literature.

--
On the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий