18 июл. 2017 г.

Se7en

& Somerset: I want you to look and I want you to listen, okay?
    Mills: Now, I wasn’t standing around guarding the Taco Bell. I’ve worked Homicide five years.
    Somerset: Not here.
    Mills: I understand that.
    Somerset: Well, over the next seven days, detective, you’ll do me the favor of remembering that.

& Forensic: He’s dead.
    Somerset: Thank you, doctor.

& Somerset: This was found on the wall behind the refrigerator... in the obesity murder scene. «Long is the way and hard that out of hell leads up to light.» It’s from Milton. Paradise Lost.
    Captain: All right, I’m confused.
    Somerset: It means that this is beginning.

& Somerset: There are seven deadly sins, captain. Gluttony... Greed... Sloth, wrath, pride, lust... and envy. Seven. ... You can expect five more of these.

& Somerset: Gentlemen, gentlemen. I’ll never understand. All these books... a world of knowledge at your fingertips. And what do you do? You play poker all night.

& Tracy: Subway.
    Mills: It will go away in a minute.
    Tracy: It’s nothing.
    Mills: Real estate guy. Fucking piece of... Sorry, honey. He’s... He shows us the place a few times. I think he’s good. He’s efficient. Tracy really likes him. Then I start wondering why will he only bring us here five minutes at a time, yeah?.. We found out the first night.
    Somerset: The soothing, relaxing, vibrating home, huh?

& Somerset: Well, in any major city, minding your own business is a science. The first thing they teach women in rape prevention is never cry for help. Always yell «Fire.» Nobody answers to «Help.» You holler «fire,» they come running.

& Somerset: You meant what you said to Mrs. Gould, didn’t you? About catching this guy.
    Mills: Yeah.
    Somerset: Hmm. Wish I still thought the way you do...
    Mills: Why don’t you tell me what the hell it is you think we’re doing then.
    Somerset: Picking up the pieces. We’re collecting all the evidence, taking all the pictures and samples. Writing everything down. Noting the time things happened.
    Mills: That’s all?
    Somerset: That’s all. Putting everything into neat little piles and filing it away. On the off chance it will ever be needed in the courtroom. Picking up diamonds on a deserted island. Saving them in case we get rescued.
    Mills: Bullshit.
    Somerset: Even the most promising clues usually only lead to others. So many corpses roll away unrevenged.
    Mills: Don’t try to tell me you didn’t get that rush tonight. I saw you.


& Somerset: It’s impressive to see a man feeding off his emotions.

& Somerset: I remember thinking how can I bring a child into a world like this? How can...? How can a person grow up with all this around them?

& Somerset: I’m positive that I made the right decision. But there’s not a day that passes... that I don’t wish that I had made a different choice.

& Somerset: If you don’t keep... The baby, I mean, if that’s your decision... don’t ever tell him that you were pregnant. But if you choose to have this baby... you spoil that kid every chance you get. That’s about all the advice I can give you, Tracy.

& Somerset: This guy is methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
    Mills: He’s a nut bag! And just because the fucker’s got a library card doesn’t make him Yoda.

& Somerset: See, for years the FBI’s been hooked into the library system, keeping records.
    Mills: Mm-hm. Assessing fines?
    Somerset: No, monitoring reading habits. Look... Certain books are flagged. Books on, say, nuclear weapons and, well, Mein Kampf. Anyone who checks out a flagged book... has his library records fed into the FBI’s computers then on.
    Mills: Wait, wait, wait, how is this legal?
    Somerset: Oh, legal, illegal. These terms don’t apply.

& Mills: If you think you’re preparing me for hard times, thank you, but...
    Somerset: But you gotta be a hero. You wanna be a champion. Let me tell you, people don’t want a champion. They wanna eat cheeseburgers, play lotto and watch TV.
    Mills: How did you get like this?...
    Somerset: It wasn’t one thing, I can tell you that. I just don’t think I can continue to live in a place that embraces and nurtures apathy... as if it was a virtue. You’re no different, no better. I didn’t say I was different or better. I’m not. Hell, I sympathize. I sympathize completely. Apathy is a solution. I mean, it’s easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It’s easier to steal what you want... than it is to earn it. It’s easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs. It takes effort and work.
    Mills: It makes no sense. ... Whatever, the point is, is that I don’t think you’re quitting... because you believe these things you say. I don’t. I think you wanna believe them because you’re quitting. You want me to agree and say, «Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re right. It’s all fucked up. It’s a fucking mess. We should all go live in a fucking log cabin.» But I won’t. I won’t say that. I don’t agree with you. I do not. I can’t.

& John Doe: Detective! You’re looking for me.

& Captain: So far everything’s a dead end. No credit history. No employment records. His bank account’s only 5 years old and it was started with cash. We’re even trying to trace his furniture. About only thing we know about that guy right now... is that he’s independently wealthy, well-educated and totally insane.
    Somerset: Because he’s John Doe by choice.

& Mills: We’re not just going to pick up two more dead bodies, are we, John? That wouldn’t be shocking enough. We’ve got newspapers to think about, yeah?
    John Doe: Wanting people to listen... you can’t just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer. And then you’ll notice you’ve got their strict attention.

& Mills: What do you got?
    Somerset: Dead dog.
    John Doe: I didn’t do that.

& Somerset: Ernest Hemingway once wrote, «The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.» I agree with the second part.

--
+++ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий