26 июл. 2017 г.

House of Cards 5×5

Chapter 57


& Underwood: You see, my feeling is, I think the Founding Fathers, they just got tired. And really, can you blame them? I mean, you can’t think of everything. Black swans, Murphy’s Law... I mean, at a certain point, you just have to sign off and cross your goddamn fingers and hope for the best.
Or adopt «flipism,» a pseudo-philosophy of life in which the most important decisions are made by the flipping of a coin...

& Underwood: It was first introduced in the Disney comic book Flip Decision, one of my favorites, in which Donald Duck is persuaded by Professor Batty to make all the most important decisions based on the flipping of a coin. «Life is but a gamble. Let flipism guide your ramble.»

& Underwood: .... One person, one vote. But if there’s a tie... and this is where Donald Duck comes in, it’s resolved... by the toss of a coin. A solution that’s elegant as hell. But then there’s no elegance in modern politics. It’s mostly hell.

& Underwood: The identity of the next President of these United States is once again in the hands of a bunch of self-serving, money-hungry, boot-licking, power-seeking politicians who can be seduced or sucker punched or blackmailed into submission. And all I need is just one more vote than the other guy.

& Underwood: As you can see, the Founding Fathers didn’t plan for this. But I did. Meet your new daddy.

& LeAnn: So do you want the good news or the bad news first?
    Claire: Always the bad.


& Underwood: I think people underestimate... the importance of detail... to the overall impact.

& Congressman Romero: There’s a story that I love about LBJ. Uh, it was back in ’64 or ’65. A congressman was ducking him... and he came back to his office to find the president sitting in his chair... waiting for him.
    Doug: The president expects to see you within the hour.... He was wearing his cowboy hat.
    Romero: What?
    Doug: President Johnson. You left out the best part of the story.

& Romero: Our movement wants to explode things...
    Underwood: Oh, please. Spare me your progressive PR bullshit. You want what they all want. Access. A better seat at the table. Your name before the rest. And that is something that I can give you.

& Underwood: I believe in you, Congressman. Do you wanna know why?
    Romero: Tell me.
    Underwood: Because I trust ambition.
    Romero: So this is a straight-up bribe.
    Underwood: Oh, no, Congressman. A bribe is something you can refuse.

& Louise: I want a woman in the White House. And if she has to start as a vice president, fine. But it’s time. It’s time.

& Conway: I... I’m the president. I don’t care what they say, I... I’m fucking President of the United States.
    Usher: No, you’re not. The vice president will be acting president for as long as it takes the House to decide.

--
+ Quotes from the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий