9 апр. 2016 г.

Pawn Sacrifice

& Joan Fischer: He hates draws.

& Reporter: Congratulations, Bobby. Where do you go from here?
    Bobby Fischer: Well, uh, I want to play the Russians. They’re the best in the world, and I’m gonna beat ’em all.

& Paul Marshall: You know the truth. They’re laughing at us. They think their chess dominance proves Soviet intellectual superiority over the decadent West.
    Bobby: I don’t really care about politics.
    Marshall: They’re using chess to say... «Screw America.»
    Bobby: Yeah, I’m about the game, you see. Two guys at a board, one makes a move, the other makes a move, and that’s it.
    Marshall: I’m a chess fan myself. I’m also hopelessly patriotic.

& Marshall: I take an interest in people like yourself. Creative people. I create the wherewithal that allows them to do what they do. Ask Jimi Hendrix. Ask the Rolling Stones. If I can help them, I can help anybody. I’d like to represent you, Mr. Fischer.

& Bobby: Hey, if I criticize a priest, do I go to hell?
    Father Bill Lombardy: Depends if you believe in hell.
    Bobby: Yeah. All right. I’m gonna show you how you could have won in 13 moves...

& Bobby: You see, the Russians are like boa constrictors. If you do nothing, they strangle you to death. But if you confuse them, you attack them from everywhere, then all they can do is react.
        Now here, you see, I got my machine gun lined up, bearing down on the king. Now he tries to defend himself. I sacrifice my rook. And now the real attack begins. Check. Check. Take.

& Lombardy: Hey, Bobby, you know this tournament’s about diplomacy.
    Bobby: No, this tournament, like all tournaments, is about winning.


& Bobby: Staying at a roach motel...
    Marshall: Somebody else is paying for it.
    Bobby: Yeah, well, where are the Russians staying?
    Marshall: We don’t have their kind of money.
    Bobby: Didn’t we invent money?
    Marshall: We rely on private donors.
    Bobby: Yeah, right. The Russians, they get whatever they want because they know what it takes to win. And I end up staying next to Route 66. All I want is some quiet!

& Marshall: We’re at war. Only it’s not being fought by guns and missiles. Not yet, at least. It’s a war of perception. The poor kid from Brooklyn against the whole Soviet Empire. The perfect American story.

& Lombardy: This game... It’s a rabbit hole. After only four moves, there’s more than 300 billion options to consider. There’s more 40-move games than there are stars in the galaxy. So, it can take you very close to the edge.

& Joan Fischer: «The Communists infect my mind with words that just keep repeating. The Jews are helping them, too. The Jews want to keep the Chess Federation all to themselves, just like they own New York, and own and control most governments in the world.» We... We are Jewish. Bobby is Jewish. What do you people say to him when he comes out with this trash?

& Bobby: We have a NATO base out there and I asked for the Marines to guard me. They said no to me. They said no, Joan! With all the prestige I am bringing to this country... I’m the most famous man in the world— Do you hear that?

& Marshall: Billion people around the world watching two guys play chess. Nixon’s put a TV in the Oval Office.
    Bobby: Oh, yeah?
    Marshall: Mmm. World War III on a chess board. We lost China. We’re losing Vietnam. We have to win this one.

& Marshall: The President of the United States called three times. Three... Ah, well. He’s been trying to reach you. In Moscow, Brezhnev opened his only bottle of 1868 Louis Roederer. Left over from the Revolution. You know why? Because he heard you quit. There are boys your age in Vietnam giving their lives right now in the fight against Communism, and all you have to do is play a game of chess.

& Lombardy: Bobby. The chess you’ve been playing is really inspired.
    Bobby: It’s almost all theory and memorization. People think there are all these options, but there’s usually one right move. Of course, in the end, there’s no place to go.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий