21 апр. 2016 г.

An Inspector Calls


& Man: Do you believe in God?
    Woman: Yes.
    Man: How can you?
    Woman: I can’t believe in people. I have to believe in something, or I’d fall.

& Arthur: I’ve said this to Eric before — it’s not where you start in this life, it’s where you finish. Now, a man can achieve anything he wants to in this country, if he puts his mind to it. And that’s part of what makes it great.
    Gerald: I couldn’t agree with you more.
    Arthur: The thing to do is to keep your head down and concentrate on your own business.

& Gerald: I wanted to help her more than anything else.
    Sybil: How disgusting!
    Gerald: No. No, Mrs Birling, forgive me, but it wasn’t. Look, it may have been wrong, but it wasn’t disgusting.


& The Inspector: You’re offering the money at the wrong time, Mr Birling. Eva Smith is gone. You can’t do her any more harm. You can’t do her any good now, either. You can’t even say, «I’m sorry, Eva Smith.» But just remember this.
        There are millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us, with their lives and hopes and fears, their suffering and chance of happiness all intertwined with our lives, and what we think, and say and do. We don’t live alone upon this earth. We are responsible for each other. And if mankind will not learn that lesson, then the time will come, soon, when he will be taught it in fire... and blood... and anguish. Goodnight.

& Sheila: I thought he was extraordinary. It was as though he could see into our souls.

& Eric: Do you believe in God?
    Eva: Yes.
    Eric: How can you?
    Eva: I can’t believe in people. I have to believe in something, or I’d fall. Fall down through the cracks. Never stop falling.

& Arthur: A girl has died. Suicide. A police inspector is on his way to ask us... some questions.

--
On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий