1 янв. 2016 г.

Experimenter

& Stanley Milgram: Life can only be understood backwards but it must be lived forwards.

& Stanley Milgram: This part, this part’s where the experiment really begins...

& Sasha: Social Relations. What does that mean?
    Stanley: It’s a combination. Sociology, anthropology, psychology. You know, basically covers everything from the way people talk in elevators to the study of role-playing, conformity, authority.

& Teacher: Incorrect. A hundred and... sixty-five volts, strong shock.
    James: Ah! Let me out of here! I told you, I have a heart condition. I will not be part of the experiment anymore!
    Teacher: He says he’s not gonna go on.
    Tom: Please continue, teacher.

& Stanley: He went all the way. Most of them do.
    Teacher: «Sharp. Axe, needle, stick, blade.» ...
    William: No response from the learner must be interpreted as a wrong answer.
    Stanley: Still laughing, trying to hide face with hand...

& Teacher: Can you please go check that everything’s OK?
    William: Not once we’ve started. Please continue, teacher.
    Teacher: So you accept all responsibility?
    William: The responsibility’s mine, correct. Continue, please.
    Teacher: «Wet: Night, grass, dark, cloth.»
    Stanley: Clenching fist, pushing it onto table...

& Teacher: «Dollar: Necklace, moon, paint.» 375 volts. Dangerous, severe shock...

& Teacher: «Wet: Night, grass, duck, cloth...» «Wet duck.» 435 volts.

& Stanley: Uh, why did you give him, the man in the other room, the learner, the shocks?
    Teacher: Well, as you could see, I wanted to stop ’cause each time you gave him a shock the guy hollered.
    Stanley: Did it sound as if he was in pain?
    Teacher: Yeah.
    Stanley: Did he say he wanted you to stop the experiment?
    Teacher: Yes.
    Stanley: Did he have a right to stop the experiment?
    Teacher: I don’t know.
    Stanley: Why didn’t you stop, at that point, when he asked you to stop?
    Teacher: Why didn’t I stop?.. Well, ’cause... ’Cause he told me to continue.
    Stanley: Why did you listen to that man and not the man in pain?
    Teacher: ... Well, ’cause... ’cause I thought the experiment depended on me. And nobody told me to stop.
    Stanley: He asked you to stop.
    Teacher: That... That’s true, but he’s the, um, you know, the subject, shall we say?


& Stanley: Who bore the responsibility for the fact this man was being shocked?
    Teacher: I don’t know.

& Stanley: I was born in the Bronx, 1933. My father’s from Hungary, my mother from Romania, Jewish immigrants. It was a matter of chance they arrived in the US as children and managed to raise a family in New York instead of being swept up into the extermination camps and murdered by the Nazis, like millions of others like them in Eastern Europe. That’s really what’s behind the obedience experiments. The inkling I was chasing, the thing that troubled me. How do civilized human beings participate in destructive, inhumane acts? How was genocide implemented so systematically, so efficiently? And how did the perpetrators of these murders live with themselves?

& William: It’s absolutely essential that you do continue.
    Teacher: Well, I won’t, not with the man screaming to get out.
    William: You have no other choice.
    Teacher: Why don’t I have a choice? I came here on my own free will. I thought I could help in a research project. But if I have to hurt somebody, if I was in his place, no, I can’t continue. I’ve probably gone too far already. I’m very sorry.

& Stanley: They all seem to wanna impress you... for some reason. But why? Why do so many, the vast majority, push all the way through to the final switch? Why is the Dutchman’s defiance the anomaly instead of the norm?

& Stanley: All the psychiatrists and psychologists I consulted were convinced we’d have trouble finding a single person that’d go all the way through to the end. I’d have been better off consulting the guy from Pepe’s Pizza.

& Stanley: I designed a series of variations, 25 in all, and continued the experiments over the next two semesters. We adjust the script so that the learner bangs on the wall... but says nothing. We asked the teacher to physically press the learner’s hand on a copper plate, forcing him to receive the shock...
    Teacher: ... «House.» Wrong. 135 volts.
    Stanley: We conducted experiments in Bridgeport, to deduct the potential intimidation factor of Ivy League prestige. And, back at Yale, we include women...

& Stanley: In nearly every case, the essential results are the same. They hesitate, sigh, tremble and groan, but they advance to the last switch, 450 volts, «Danger Severe Shock XXX», because they’re politely told to.

& Stanley: The results are terrifying and depressing. They suggest that the kind of character produced in American society can’t be counted on to insulate its citizens from brutality and inhumane treatment in response to a malevolent authority...

& Stanley: I should tell you about Asch. Solomon E. Asch. If you ever saw my thesis at Harvard, and I worked for him, diligently and miserably, at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. Asch did the things with the lines, right?
    Asch: The study you are taking part in today involves the perception of the lengths of lines...

& Stanley: In the language of social science, the experiment was known as the effect of group pressure upon the modification and distortion of judgments.
    Sasha: Pff. Great title.
    Stanley: It made Asch famous... amongst social scientists.

& Stanley: Here I am, still trying to impress him. Human nature can be studied but not escaped, especially your own.

& Stanley: The whole time, I’m sorry, this is startling, out of 780 subjects, not a single person got up, went to the door and looked in to see if the man screaming was all right. Not a single one.

& Stanley: Every experiment is a situation where the end is unknown, indeterminate, something that might fail. The indeterminacy is part of the excitement.

& Stanley: People don’t have the resources to resist authority. That’s what the experiment teaches us. But people don’t wanna hear it. The experiment explains a kind of flaw in social thinking. A deadening, a suspension of moral value.

& Stanley: You tell yourself: «I wouldn’t do that. I’d never do that.» But then, what did Montaigne say? «We are double in ourselves. What we believe we disbelieve, and we cannot rid ourselves of what we condemn.»

& Stanley: There was a time, I suspect, when men and women could give a fully human response to any situation. When we could be fully absorbed in the world as human beings. But more often, now, people don’t get to see the whole situation but only some small part of it. There’s a division of labor, and people carry out small, narrow, specialized jobs, and we can’t act without some kind of direction from on high. I call this «the agentic state». The individual yields to authority, and in doing so becomes alienated from his own actions. The agentic state is «store policy». It’s «I’m just doing my job.» Or «That’s not my job.» Or «I don’t make the rules.» «We don’t do that here.» «Just following orders.» «It’s the law.» In the agentic state, the individual defines himself as an instrument carrying out the wishes of others. A soldier, a nurse, an «administrator». An actor. A corporate employee, or even, yes, academics and artists.

& Stanley: ...it occurred to me, we choose our reality when we choose another person.
    Sasha: What does that mean? Marriage is not a fantasy.
    Stanley: No, no, right. Right. But it is a choice. You have to know that I choose you. Every day I choose you.

& Stanley: In 2008, a professor at Santa Clara University replicated the obedience experiments and got roughly the same results. Over 60 percent of volunteers delivered the full shocks. In 2010, the experiments were duplicated on a French reality TV show, Le Jeu de la Mort, The Game of Death. Participants were egged on by a live studio audience. Over 80 percent went all the way.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

+ The Stanford Prison Experiment was massively influential. We just learned it was a fraud. WTF?

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий