5 дек. 2015 г.

Wonderful Surprises

The Knick 2×4


& Dr. Edwards: It’s not a bad size. It’s a palace for a colored man in this city.

& Opal: A man... a man stops writing to his woman for two reasons. Either... he’s dead... or he’s moved on. You look very much alive to me. So?

& Dr. Thackery: ...So once the pig’s temperature reached 107 Fahrenheit, it killed off all the spirochete. Every last one in her system. I then gave her a large injection of quinine and very soon the malaria fever broke.

& Dr. Thackery: Syphilis has the same characteristics no matter who or what it lives in.
    Abby: So you want to cook me?
    Dr. Thackery: Essentially.

& Bertie: I don’t know if I would describe myself as worldly. I... I’ve... I’ve never... well, I’ve... I... I’ve just never.

& Dr. Edwards: Anything interesting so far?
    Dr. Thackery: Not yet. As far as I can tell, addicts have no difference in their organs or physical characteristics to non-addicts. There’s nothing that makes them more susceptible to addiction and nothing that can be removed or treated to cure it.

& Dr. Thackery: Something is making them do it. And if it’s not the body, it must be the brain.


& William M. Tweed: So, from now on, 15% of your construction costs before your skim comes to us.
    Barrow: That’s a bit high, don’t you think? My contractors will balk.
    William M. Tweed: No, they won’t. It’s the going rate for keeping things running along smoothly as they have been. And we’ll show you how to game it right. You give us our share, we’ll make sure you have no trouble with the city, politicians, cops, unions, theft, anything that might come your way. Building a hospital’s a noble cause and we here at Tammany want nothing more than to support you the best way we know how.

& Lottie: What are you reading?
    Lucy: Nothing.
    Lottie: You’re hiding everything from me these days. It’s just a book, Luce... «Transactions of the Association of American Obs...»
    Lucy: «Obstetricians and Gynecologists.» It’s about women’s bodies.

& Henry: Damn it, man, get off that thing. It’s lunchtime. You’d have one in your automobile if you could.
    Phillip: Oh, pfft. Give Edison some time. I’ll wager he’ll figure it out.

& Lucy: My whole life, these men who were supposed to show us how to live our lives, we are supposed to respect and trust and honor them. Well, they’ve all disappointed me and betrayed me and thrown me away. Why do I let them? Why do we let them? It doesn’t make any sense... And I’m sick of it.

& Dr. Edwards: There are new buildings going up everywhere. There are barely any farms left. But with the Knick moving uptown, this might not be a bad location for me. ...
    Opal: What’s this area called?
    Dr. Edwards: Harlem.

& Dr. Edwards: I haven’t told you, but I have a terrible disease... It’s called aging. Very slow, but eventually all my hair will turn gray, I’ll lose all my teeth, I’ll have to walk with a cane and inevitably die. There’s no cure.
    Opal: Maybe I shouldn’t be near you.
    Dr. Edwards: Mm, it’s too late. It’s highly contagious. And, sorry to say, you’ve caught it.

& Showalter: Edison’s killing us with his electric bonanza. Nobody’s lighting with kerosene anymore.

& Cleary: What’s better than being free, huh?

& Dr. Drexler: Eugenics is a new science. It’s up to us to sound the alarm and spread the word. However, it is not enough to get the people to see the problem. It’s getting them to have the will to do something about it.
    Dr. Gallinger: Closing the ports to all immigrants would be an excellent place to
start.

    Dr. Drexler: .... We know we need a more permanent approach, a medical solution to stop the growth of what has already passed through our doors.
    Dr. Gallinger: How? They breed like animals.
    Dr. Drexler: And how do you stop an animal from breeding?..
    Dr. Gallinger: You neuter it... Sterilization.
    Dr. Drexler: On a mass scale.

& Cleary: That’s 124 patients in total. A new milestone for the Knick. And myself personally, I don’t mind saying.

--
On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий