24 нояб. 2015 г.

The Gamechangers

& Sam Houser: You remember when the Crips and Bloods were fighting in the ’80s?
    Jamie: We can’t make a game about that.
    Sam: Why not?
    Jamie: We are British. We know nothing about it.
    Sam: Hey, look, we’re good at making games about American culture because we grew up absorbed in it.
    Jamie: But you’re talking about a real American conflict.
    Sam: Exactly, something real that is not just an iteration of a TV show or a film. Because we are outsiders, we see America for what it is. Better than they do.

& Dan Houser: You know, finishing Vice City nearly killed everyone. If we go bigger, it is going to be harder. It is not just about scale.

& Sam: I want to create a completely real world, right? For grown-ups, where you don’t have to become a penguin or some shitty hairy elf. When people talk about video games the way they talk about films and music, Jamie, that is when we have done it.

& Jack Thompson: Devin, my name is Jack Thompson. I am an attorney at law based in Miami. I am very sorry about the situation you are in. I’d like to understand how it happened. Why it happened. When they arrested you in Mississippi, apparently you said, «Life is like a video game, you have got to die sometime.» Is that what you said?

& Jack Thompson: I think the people that make these games are partly responsible. I mean, think about it. They’re drenching our children in depravity and violence, training our kids to be killers and making money out of it. They... They make an entertainment that normalises horrendous violence. It makes me sick.


& Jack Thompson: We will win, I promise you, because I will fight this as hard as I’ve ever fought anything and because I believe what Martin Luther King said — «The arc of history is long, but it bends towards justice.» This lawsuit will put the video game industry on trial.

& Jack Thompson: I just thought I’d better exactly understand what it is I’m objecting to. It’s unbelievable. From the moment you start playing, it encourages you to hurt people and you start doing it. It’s disturbing. I mean, how dare these people make this depraved garbage and force it on our children... A disgusting picture of America made by some Brits. I really wish ill on the people who make this filth.

& Dr Sexton: What surprised us, when we first showed violent material to children, was how much brain activity it produces here, an area called the posterior cingulate. MRI research with veterans and victims of violent crime has shown that this is an area of the brain where we store distressing or traumatic events for long-term memory.

& Lt. Col. Dave Grossman: Your weapons training is absolutely vital, because, as an old gunny sergeant taught me, in combat, you don’t rise to the occasion — you sink to the level of your training. The point is this — what we teach you in training will come out in combat... without thought. And that is why your training needs to be the most accurate, most authentic it can be.

& Grossman: When we use these violent games to train soldiers, we call them combat simulators. When young kids use them at home, they’re murder simulators.
    Jack Thompson: You call these games murder simulators?
    Grossman: The same thing is going on in both situations. You’re training young people to kill. They’re making killing a conditioned reflex stimulus response.

& Jamie: If it’s the cop-killing in the game that’s the problem, maybe we should tone it down for San Andreas. A bit.
    Sam: No way, Jamie, this is a free country. We’re allowed to make the game we want to make. We can’t go around curtailing people’s artistic freedoms because of one lunatic.

& Jack Thompson: ’If you tell the tales, you define the culture. Rockstar Games are telling tales full of violence and depravity.’

& Bridjet: Parents have no idea what their kids are playing. That’s the problem.
    Sam: Yeah, but that’s not our fault, is it? It’s theirs! They don’t understand games and they want to blame someone for these deaths, but rather than blame this kid’s parents or failed education or zero job prospects, this man wants to blame us. I’m not changing a single thing about GTA!

& Sam: What’s wrong with this country? I can walk down the road and get an Uzi if I want to, they’re sending kids off to kill people in Iraq and heaven for-fucking-bid anyone sees a woman’s nipple!

& Sam: Don Simpson wouldn’t settle for it, would he? What would he do?
    Terry: He’d hire an aircraft carrier, fill it with prostitutes, take 15 different types of class-A drugs and then, I think, he’d accept the power of the marketplace.

& Jack Thompson: If this is your will, Father, show me a sign. Stop me from hating them. Give me the strength to not hate them.

& Sam: Somehow, this has become personal. Somehow, these people in Washington have become convinced that WE are responsible for teenage sex and violence. It is ridiculous! If these scenes were in a film or a book, no-one would even blink. This beautiful game we made’s only going to be remembered for this shit.

& Jack Thompson: What am I winning? I’ve been permanently disbarred. Families of those dead cops haven’t had justice. Rockstar Games got off scot-free. What did I win?
    Pat Vance: The law is changing...

--
On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий