15 авг. 2017 г.

House of Cards 5×13

Chapter 65


& Underwood: Rochelle... Rochelle. Such a lovely name.

& Underwood: I created this confusion in order to take advantage of it. Everything that has happened... was planned.
    Claire: Since... when?
    Underwood: Since before Elysian Fields.

& Underwood: Where does the real power lie? The power behind the power... I understood, Claire, that we have to think and act differently than we ever have. Because it’s no longer about who lives in the White House... it’s about who owns the White House.

& Claire: This is the presidency. How much higher can a politician go?
    Underwood: The real power isn’t here. It’s beyond here. It’s above it, but still working in conjunction with it.

& Underwood: Look, Claire, you and I have always been on the inside. Trapped. In the bubble. But going forward... with my operating on the outside, in the private sector, and you working from here... we can own this house together.

& Underwood: Don’t you see? I’ve designed this.

& Underwood: I wanted you to be the president. I’ve made you the president.
    Claire: Am I supposed to say thank you?
    Underwood: No. But you will have to pardon me. Pardon me for all of my crimes.

& Underwood: Claire, when you bring yourself down before someone else can, you control the way it happens. This was the only path to get us to this moment where you and I can own it all.

& Hammerschmidt: This is what you wanted? A job in a corrupt administration? Presidency in ruin?
    Sean: I’m in the White House. Not out there, wondering what it’s like in here.
    Hammerschmidt: Not for long.
    Sean: Once you’re in, you’re in. It’s the American way.

& Seth: Slàinte mhath. That’s Scottish Gaelic. It means «good health.» My father’s kind of obsessed.

& Claire: Have we ever had a drink together?
    Seth: Never.


& Underwood: Admit it. This is what you want. You were willing to kill for it. So, Claire, come and take it... before I take it back.
    Claire: ..... We’ll find the most strategic time and place. But I will pardon you, Francis.

& Romero: ...History. By the end of the day, the country will have its first woman president.

& Claire: I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States... So help me God.
    Underwood: Here we are again.

& Underwood: You know, if you ignore all the pomp and circumstance, the most perverse thing is I actually believe in the presidency. Its importance. What it means around the world, even symbolically. But I believe in power even more. For its own sake.
    Gore Vidal once wrote that power is an end to itself, and the instinctive urge to prevail... the most important single human trait.
    I’ve always told myself that everything I did was for her. But maybe it wasn’t. Maybe I love power more.


& Davis: Surface-to-surface missiles delivered sarin at about three o’clock in the morning, our time. Moscow has already issued a statement condemning the rebels for orchestrating the attack on themselves.
    Claire: And did they?
    Davis: Of course not. Petrov will use this to justify air strikes. I’d like to show you an image...

& Davis: You know... I was here before you and I’ll be here after you.
    Underwood: And regardless of that, let me remind you... that nothing is more dangerous than me.

& Underwood: Be strong, Claire. Go to war.

& Claire: Who are you to me?
    Davis: Who do you want me to be?

& Davis: Pardoning or not pardoning your husband, in either case, he’s a liability. If it’s not treated properly... your husband’s liver could fail him at any time. It’s not the kind of thing I could do. But I could find someone, or... I... I don’t know if you realize, but... even something like gelsemium can be lethal in higher doses.

& Doug: I did it. Let’s get going.

& Underwood: Then LeAnn’s job is done.

& Underwood: And the body?
    Usher: It’s on ice.

& Underwood: You’ll recover. You’re the most powerful woman in the world, Claire. Comfort pales by comparison.

& Claire: I’ll announce it during the speech, after the troops. A full and unconditional pardon... for Francis Underwood and any crimes he might have committed against the United States while president.

& Underwood: Oh, and one word of advice. Whomever Usher offers up to you as vice president, that’s the person that you’re really gonna have to watch.
    Claire: I won’t choose anyone I can’t manage.

& Underwood: Sometimes you don’t have to watch the whole movie to know how it ends.

& Usher: We have our generals, which is good. Some corporate types, outsiders. Make you seem like a renegade...

& Usher: ... It is the way to keep you in power. And keep your secrets.

& Claire: ...Now, history judges every leader, every president, by how he or she treats his or her own people. A regime that would target hospitals, refugee camps, schools or bread lines in order to retain power must be confronted. A leader that would sacrifice the physical and emotional well-being of his citizens, that would treat his people as pawns, just to stay in power? Well... that leader needs to be stopped.

& Underwood: If she doesn’t pardon me... I’ll kill her.

& Claire: My turn.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ reddit

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий