28 авг. 2017 г.

A Single Man

& George: Waking up begins with saying «am» and «now.»

& George: I was never one to jump out of bed and greet the day with a smile like Jim was. ... I always used to tell him that only fools greet the day with a smile... that only fools possibly escape the simple truth. That now isn’t simply now. It’s a cold reminder. One day later than yesterday. One year later than last year. And that sooner or later it will come.

& George: It takes time in the morning for me to become George, time to adjust to what is expected of George and how he is to behave. By the time I have dressed and put the final layer of polish on the now slightly stiff but quite perfect George I know fully what part I’m supposed to play.

& George: Just get through the goddamn day.

& George: Let’s leave the Jews out of this just for a moment. Let’s think of another minority. One that... One that can go unnoticed if it needs to. There are all sorts of minorities, blondes for example... Or people with freckles. But a minority is only thought of as one when it constitutes some kind of threat to the majority. A real threat or an imagined one. And therein lies the fear. If the minority is somehow invisible, then the fear is much greater. That fear is why the minority is persecuted. So, you see there always is a cause. The cause is fear. Minorities are just people. People like us.

& George: Fear, after all, is our real enemy. Fear is taking over our world. Fear is being used as a tool of manipulation in our society. It’s how politicians peddle policy. It’s how Madison Avenue sells us things that we don’t need.

& George: Think about it. Fear of being attacked. Fear of that there are communists lurking around every corner. .... Fear that black culture may take over the world. Fear of Elvis Presley’s hips. Actually, maybe that one is a real fear... Fear that our bad breath might ruin our friendships. Fear of growing old and being alone. Fear of that we’re useless and that no one cares what we have to say... Have a good weekend.

& Carlos: My mother says that lovers are like buses. You just have to wait a little while and another one comes along.


& Charley: When I lived in London last I was young. I was fresh, I was everything. Coming to America was such a dream, it was the icing on the cake. Going home is defeat. None of it really worked out the way I’d planned.
    George: Most things don’t work out the way people plan.

& George: You’re just living in the past. You need to start thinking about your future.
    Charley: Living in the past is my future.

& George: One must always appreciate life’s little gifts.

& Kenny: Your class is great. But somehow we always seem to get stuck talking about the past. The past just doesn’t matter to me.
    George: The present?
    Kenny: I can’t wait for the present to be over. It’s a total drag. ...
    George: So if the past doesn’t matter and the present is a total drag. What about the future? ...
    Kenny: Death is the future... I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be depressing.
    George: It’s not depressing. It’s not depressing, it’s true. It may not be your immediate future but it’s what we all share. Death is the future.

& George: If one is not enjoying one’s present there isn’t a great deal to... suggest that the future should be any better.
    Kenny: Yeah, I’ve thought that before. But the thing is you just never know.

& Kenny: Actually... I feel really alone most of the time... I’ve always felt this way. I mean we’re born alone, we die alone. And while we’re here we are absolutely, completely sealed in our own bodies... Really weird. Kinda freaks me out to think about it. We can only experience the outside world through our own slanted perception of it. Who knows what you’re really like?

& Kenny: You know, everyone keeps telling you that... when you’re older, that you’ll have all this experience. Like it’s some great thing.
    George: That’s a load of shit. I think I’ve actually just gotten sillier and sillier.
    Kenny: Really?
    George: Absolutely.
    Kenny: So, all your experience is useless.
    George: No, I wouldn’t say that. As our friend Mr. Huxley says: Experience is not what happens to a man. It is what a man does with what happens to him.

& Kenny: Aren’t you taking a shower too, sir?
    George: I’m fine. I’m English. We like to be cold and wet.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий