29 июн. 2016 г.

Brooklyn

& Eilis: How long do letters from Ireland take to arrive? My sister Rose said she’d write straightaway.
    Georgina: They take a long time at first. And then no time at all.

& Georgina: Where are you gonna live? Brooklyn?
    Eilis: How’d you know that?
    Georgina: Lucky guess.

& Georgina: Have your bags ready for inspection. Don’t look too innocent, though. I’ll put some rouge and mascara on you. Perhaps a little eye liner... Stand up straight. Polish your shoes. And don’t cough, whatever you do... Don’t be rude or pushy, but don’t look too nervous... Think like an American. You have to know where you’re going...
    Custom Officer: ... Welcome to the United States, ma’am. Through the blue door, please.

& Miss Fortini: Remember, if people like it here, they’ll come back, so you treat every customer as if she’s a new friend.
    Eilis: I’ll try.
    Miss Fortini: It’s not a matter of trying. It’s what you have to do. Do you try to wear panties every day?
    Eilis: No. I mean, I don’t... I don’t try. I just put them on.
    Miss Fortini: You see what I’m saying?

& Father Flood: Anyway, we need Irish girls in Brooklyn.
    Eilis: I wish that I could stop feeling that I want to be an Irish girl in Ireland...
    Father Flood: All I can say is that it will pass. Homesickness is like most sicknesses. It’ll make you feel wretched and then it’ll move on to somebody else.


& Patty: There. That’s better. Now you don’t look like you’ve just come in from milking the cows.
    Eilis: Is that what I looked like?
    Patty: Just a bit. Nice clean cows. Let’s go.

& Dolores: God. There’s nobody here. How are we supposed to get a fella if there’s nobody here?
    Eilis: I expect most people will come after 9:00.
    Dolores: People or fellas?
    Eilis: Some of the people will be fellas.
    Dolores: I’d love to meet a fella.

& Mrs. Kehoe: I’m going to ask Father Flood to preach a sermon on the dangers of giddiness. I see now that giddiness is the eighth deadly sin. A giddy girl is every bit as evil as a slothful man, and the noise she makes is a lot worse.

& Tony: You’re in a good mood, huh?
    Eilis: Yes. Why?
    Tony: It’s just... I like how you’re being. I don’t know the word, when you go along with everything.
    Eilis: Amenable.
    Tony: Yeah? Amenable? OK, so while you’re being amenable, can we go see a movie this week when you’re not in night class?

& Eilis: I met somebody. An Italian fella.
    Miss Fortini: Oh, no... I’d rather have them homesick than heartbroken. Does he talk about baseball all the time? Or his mother?
    Eilis: No.
    Miss Fortini: Then keep him.

& Eilis: Mammy, I’m sorry. I’m married.

& Eilis: ...When you get to immigration, keep your eyes wide open. Look as if you know where you’re going. You have to think like an American...
    You’ll feel so homesick that you’ll want to die and there’s nothing you can do about it apart from endure it. But you will, and it won’t kill you.
    And one day the sun will come out. You might not even notice straightaway, it’ll be that faint. And then you’ll catch yourself thinking about something or someone who has no connection with the past, someone who’s only yours, and you’ll realize... that this is where your life is.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий