8 сент. 2015 г.

Woman in Gold

& Randy: Wouldn’t that be lovely? Make you a rich woman, I’m sure.
    Maria: You think that’s what this is about? No, I have to do what I can to keep these memories alive. Because people forget, you see. Especially the young. And then, of course, there’s justice.

& Maria: I’m not going back to that place. Not now, not ever.
    Randy: I-I don’t understand.
    Maria: They destroyed my family, they killed my friends, and they forced me to abandon the people and the places that I loved.
    Randy: That was over a half a century ago.
    Maria: You think that’s a long time?

& Adele: One day, you’ll have to stop being so timid. Life will demand it of you. Your only enemy is fear.

& Gustav: Fetch my cello, Maria.
    Maria: What for, Father?
    Gustav: It’s nearly five. Why should this Saturday be different from any other?
    Therese: Because it is.
    Gustav: I will not allow them to touch us.

& Randy: I could’ve searched for the family file on my own, you know.
    Maria: I wasn’t going to miss all the fun. This is like a James Bond film, and you’re Sean Connery.


& Hubertus: Maria, do you have any idea of what happened to your family’s property after you got away?
    Maria: Not at all. Unlike Lot’s wife, I never looked back.
    Hubertus: Maybe now it’s time to know. After you escaped Austria, Maria, your home became the scene of one of the great thefts of the time. Your family’s belongings ended up in the hands of the most powerful criminals of the Nazi elite.
    Maria: All of our things, our personal things?
    Hubertus: Did you know, for instance, that one of your uncle’s favorite paintings, a Waldmüller portrait of Count Esterhazy...
    Maria: Yes, yes, I remember. It was hanging in the living room. I never liked it, actually.
    Hubertus: ...ended up decorating the walls of no less a place than the Berghof, Hitler’s private residence in the Bavarian Alps? Or that your aunt’s necklace, the same one she wears in the Klimt portrait, came to adorn the neck of Emmy Goering, Hermann Goering’s wife?
    Maria: I don’t think I want to hear this.

& Hubertus: The paintings were taken off the walls of your family home and carefully transported to the Belvedere. Certain facts had to be altered, like your aunt’s name and her Jewish provenance, of course. For a short while after the war, she became simply known as... «Woman in Gold
    Maria: So her identity was stolen as well.
    Hubertus: It wasn’t enough to rob your family and try to destroy it. No. You had to be eradicated from history.

& Hubertus: She is the Mona Lisa of Austria.

& Maria: Restitution. You see, that’s an interesting word. You know, I looked it up in the dictionary. «Restitution: the return of something to its original state.» Now, that made me think. You see, I would love to return to my original state. I would love to be a happy woman living in this beautiful city. Like so many of my generation who had to flee, I will never forgive them for preventing me from living here. At the very least, we should be reunited with what is rightfully ours.

& Maria: They’ll never admit to what they did, because if they admit to one thing, they have to admit to it all.
    Randy: Admit to what?
    Maria: They were never victims. Most of them threw flowers and welcomed the Nazis with open arms, and that’s the simple truth.

& Gustav: When our family came to Vienna, Maria... they were not rich people. We worked hard. We did everything we could to contribute, and to belong. We are proud of what we have done, and we are proud of our children. Nobody can take that away from us. And now... as you go... I ask you only one thing, mein Liebling.
    Maria: What is it, Papa?
    Gustav: Remember us.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий