30 мар. 2013 г.

Django Unchained

& Roscoe: Who’s that stumblin’ around in the dark? State your business or prepare to get winged!

& Schultz: Good cold evening, gentlemen.

& Schultz: I’m Dr. King Schultz. This is my horse, Fritz.
    Roscoe: What kinda doctor?
    Schultz: Dentist.

& Schultz: Now, are you the Speck Brothers? And did you purchase those men at the Greenville slave auction?
    Roscoe: So what?
    Schultz: So I wish to parley with you.
    Roscoe: Speak English!
    Schultz: Oh, I’m sorry. Please forgive me. It is a second language.

& Schultz: My good man, did you simply get carried away with your dramatic gesture or are you pointing your weapon at me with lethal intention?
    Roscoe: Last chance, fancy pants!
    Schultz: Oh, very well. ... I’m sorry to put a bullet in your beast, but I didn’t want you to do anything rash before you had a moment to come to your senses.

& — That’s a nigger on a horse!
    Schultz: What’s everybody staring at?
    Django: They ain’t never seen no nigger on a horse before.

& Django: What kind of dentist are you?
    Schultz: Despite that cart, I haven’t practiced dentistry in five years. But these days, I practice a new profession... bounty hunter. Do you know what a bounty hunter is?
    Django: No.
    Schultz: Well... the way the slave trade deals in human lives for cash, a bounty hunter deals in corpses. The state places a bounty on a man’s head. I track that man, I find that man, I kill that man. After I’ve killed him, I transport that man’s corpse back to the authorities. Sometimes that’s easier said than done. I show that corpse to the authorities, proving yes, indeed, I truly have killed him, at which point the authorities pay me the bounty. So, like slavery, it’s a flesh for cash business.

& Django: What’s a bounty?
    Schultz: It’s like a reward.
    Django: You kill people? And they give you a reward?
    Schultz: Certain people, yeah.
    Django: Bad people?
    Schultz: Ah! Badder they are, bigger the reward.

& Schultz: I must admit, I’m at a bit of a quandary when it comes to you. On one hand, I despise slavery. On the other hand, I need your help. If you’re not in a position to refuse, all the better. So, for the time being, I’m gonna make this slavery malarkey work to my benefit. Still, having said that, I feel guilty.


& Schultz: Your slave wife speaks German and her name is Broomhilda Von Shaft?

& Schultz: You sure that’s him?
    Django: Yeah.
    Schultz: Positive?
    Django: I don’t know.
    Schultz: You don’t know if you’re positive?
    Django: I don’t know what “positive” mean.
    Schultz: It means you’re sure.
    Django: Yes.
    Schultz: “Yes,” what?
    Django: Yes, I’m sure that’s Ellis Brittle. I’m positive he dead.

& Schultz: ... So he puts her on top of the mountain.
    Django: Broomhilda’s on a mountain?
    Schultz: It’s a German legend, there’s always going to be a mountain in there somewhere.

& Schultz: Let me ask you a question. How do you like the bounty hunting business?
    Django: Kill white folks and they pay you for it? What’s not to like?

& D’Artagnan: I can’t fight no more, Monsieur Candie.
    Candie: Yes, you can. You might not be able to win, but your ass can fight.

& Candie: You in trouble now, son.
    D’Artagnan: Yessir.
    Candie: I done paid $500 for you. When I pay $500, then I expect to get five fights out of a nigger ’fore he roll over and play dead.
    D’Artagnan: Sir.
    Candie: You got to understand that I’m runnin’ a business here.

& Candie: Your boss looks a little green around the gills for a blood sport like nigger fighting.
    Django: Nah, he just ain’t used to seein’ a man ripped apart by dogs is all.
    Candie: Hm. You are used to it?
    Django: I’m just a little more used to Americans than he is.

& Candie: Take her out.
    Stephen: Take her out? Why?
    Candie: Because I said so, that’s why. Dr. Schultz is my guest. Hildi is my nigger. Southern hospitality dictates I make her available to him.
    Stephen: But, Monsieur Candie, she run off.
    Candie: Jesus Christ, Stephen. What is the point of havin’ a nigger that speaks German if you can’t wheel ’em out when you have a German guest? Now, I realize it is inconvenient, but still, you take her ass out.
    Stephen: Yessir.

& Candie: Growing up the son of a huge plantation owner in Mississippi puts a white man in contact with a whole lotta black faces. I spent my whole life here, right here in Candyland... surrounded by black faces. Now, seeing them every day, day in, day out, I only had one question: Why don’t they kill us?
            Now, right out there on that porch, three times a week for 50 years, Old Ben here would shave my daddy with a straight razor. Now, if I was Old Ben, I woulda cut my daddy’s goddamn throat and it wouldn’t have taken me no 50 years to do it, neither. But he never did. Why not?..
            You see, the science of phrenology is crucial to understanding the separation of our two species. In the skull of the African here, the area associated with submissiveness is larger than any human or any other subhuman species on planet Earth. If you examine... this piece of skull here... you will notice three distinct dimples. Here, here and here. Now... if I was holding the skull of an Isaac Newton or Galileo, these three dimples would be found in the area of the skull most associated with... creativity. But this is the skull of Old Ben. And in the skull of Old Ben, unburdened by genius, these three dimples exist in the area of the skull most associated with... servility.
            Now, Bright Boy... I will admit you are pretty clever. But if I took this hammer here... and I bashed in your skull with it... you would have the same three dimples in the same place... as Old Ben.

& Candie: Considering y’all have ridden a whole lot of miles, went through a whole lot of trouble, and done spread a whole lot of bull to purchase this lovely lady right here, it would appear that Broomhilda is, in fact... the right nigger. And if y’all want to leave Candyland with Broomhilda, the price is... $12,000.
    Schultz: And I take it you prefer the “take it or leave it” style of negotiation?
    Candie: Yes, I do, doctor. You see, under the laws of Chickasaw County, Broomhilda here is my property. And I can choose to do with my property whatever I so desire! And if y’all think my price... for this nigger here is too steep... what I’m gonna desire to do is... take this goddamn hammer here and beat her ass to death with it! Right in front of both y’all! Easy, big fella... Then we can examine the three dimples inside Broomhilda’s skull! Now, what’s it gonna be, doc? Huh? What’s it gonna be?
    Schultz: May I lift the hands off the tabletop in order to remove my billfold?
    Candie: Yes, you may.
    Stephen: That 12.
    Candie: Sold! To the man with the exceptional beard and his unexceptional nigger!

& Schultz: Excuse me... Excuse me, ma’am?.. Could you please stop playing Beethoven?.. Take your hands off the harp!

& Schultz: Mr. Candie... normally, I would say auf Wiedersehen. But since what auf Wiedersehen actually means is “till I see you again” and since I never wish to see you again, to you, sir... I say, “goodbye.”

& Schultz: You really want me to shake your hand?
    Candie: I insist.
    Schultz: If you insist...
    Stephen: No! Calvin! Calvin!
    Schultz: I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist.

& Stephen: Nigger’s gone crazy! Help!

& — Who the fuck gave a nigger a goddamn gun?

& Stephen: You leavin’... Your black ass has been all them motherfuckers at The Big House could talk about for the last few hours. Seem like white folk ain’t never had a bright idea in they life was coming up with all kinds of ways to kill your ass.
            Now, mind you, most of them ideas had to do with fuckin’ with your fun parts. Now, that may seem like a good idea, but truth is... when you snip a nigger’s nuts, most of them bleed out in, oh, about, hm... seven minutes. Most of ’em. Well, more than most.
            Then I says: “Shitfire. The niggers we sell to LeQuint Dickey got it worse than that.”
            And they still sayin’, “Let’s whip him to death.” Or “Throw him to the Mandingos.” “Feed him to Stonesipher’s dogs.”
            And I said, “What’s so special about that? We do that shit all the time. Hell’s bells, the niggers we sell to LeQuint Dickey got it worse than that.”
            Lo and behold, out of nowhere, Miss Lara come up with the bright idea of giving your ass to the LeQuint Dickey Mining Company. And as a slave of the LeQuint Dickey Mining Company, henceforth, till the day you die, all day, every day, you will be swinging a sledgehammer, turning big rocks into little rocks.
Now, when you get there, they gonna take away your name, give you a number and a sledgehammer, and say, “Get to work!” One word of sass, they cuts out your tongue. And they good at it too. You won’t bleed out. Oh, they does that real good. They gonna work ya. All day, every day, till your back give out. Then they’re gonna hit you in the head with a hammer, throw your ass down the nigger hole.
            And that will be the story of you, Django.

& Billy Crash: D-jango! You black son of a bitch!
    Django: ... The D is silent, hillbilly.

& Stephen: I count six shots, nigger.
    Django: I count two guns, nigger.

& Stephen: This Candyland, nigger! You can’t destroy Candyland! We been here! There’s always gonna be a Candyland! Can’t no nigger gunfighter kill all the white folks in the world!

& Django: Hey, Little Trouble Maker.
    Broomhilda: Hey, Big Trouble Maker.

& — Who was that nigger?

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

+ Soundtrack, naturally. It's Tarantino, innit?

Σ Such a pleasure...
Perplexed why Christoph Waltz was awarded for the Best Performance in a Supporting Role and not for the Best Performance in a Leading Role.
    Surprised Samuel L. Jackson wasn't awarded. It's definitely the Best Performance in a Supporting Role.
    Looks like the main idea was to say 'nigger' as many times as possible and to fully enjoy the process of speaking it.

coolebjaka: «Квентин, с фамилией, похожей на детскую погремушку, знает - человек набит не глубоким внутренним миром, а помидорками черри. Стоит сделать ему пиф-паф - и душа ляжет на стены ровным слоем томатной штукатурки».

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий