28 нояб. 2014 г.

The Godfather

& Bonasera: I went to the police, like a good American. These two boys were brought to trial. The judge sentenced them to three years in prison, and suspended the sentence. Suspended sentence! They went free that very day! I stood in the courtroom like a fool. Those two bastards, they smiled at me. Then I said to my wife, «For justice, we must go to Don Corleone.»
    Don Corleone: Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to me first?

& Don Corleone: We have known each other many years, but this is the first time you’ve come to me for counsel or for help. I can’t remember the last time you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let’s be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And you feared to be in my debt.
    Bonasera: I didn’t want to get into trouble.
    Don Corleone: I understand. You found paradise in America. You had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. So you didn’t need a friend like me. Now you come and say «Don Corleone, give me justice.» But you don’t ask with respect. You don’t offer friendship. You don’t even think to call me «Godfather.» You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do murder — for money.
    Bonasera: I ask you for justice.
    Don Corleone: That is not justice. Your daughter is alive.
    Bonasera: Let them suffer then as she suffers.
    Don Corleone: .......
    Bonasera: How much shall I pay you?
    Don Corleone: Bonasera, Bonasera, what have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you’d come to me in friendship, this scum who ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if by some chance an honest man like yourself made enemies they would become my enemies. And then, they would fear you.
    Bonasera: Be my friend... Godfather.
    Don Corleone: Good... Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, consider this justice a gift on my daughter’s wedding day... Give this job to Clemenza. I want reliable people, people who aren’t going to be carried away. I mean, we’re not murderers, in spite of what this undertaker thinks...

& Michael: Johnny is my father’s godson. My father went to see this bandleader. He offered him $10,000 to let Johnny go, but the bandleader said no. So the next day my father went to see him, but this time with Luca Brasi. Within an hour, he signed a release for a certified check of $1,000.
    Kay: How did he do that?
    Michael: Made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.
    Kay: What was that?
    Michael: Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and father said that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract. That’s a true story. ... That’s my family, Kay. It’s not me.


& Don Corleone: You spend time with your family?
    Johnny: Sure I do.
    Don Corleone: Good. Because a man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.

& Don Corleone: Tom?
    Tom: Well, I say yes. There is more money potential in narcotics than anything else we’re looking at now. If we don’t get into it, somebody else will, maybe one of the Five Families, maybe all of them. And with the money they earn they’ll be able to buy more police and political power. Then they come after us. Right now we have the unions and we have the gambling and those are the best things to have. But narcotics is a thing of the future. If we don’t get a piece of that action we risk everything we have. Not now, but ten years from now.
    Sonny: Well, what’s your answer gonna be, Pop?

& Michael: It’s not personal, Sonny. It’s strictly business.

& Michael: It’s safer to teach you English!
    Apollonia: I know English... Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Saturday.

& Michael: My father is no different than any other powerful man. Any man who’s responsible for other people. Like a senator or a president.
    Kay: You know how naive you sound.
    Michael: Why?
    Kay: Senators or a presidents they don’t have men killed.
    Michael: Oh. Who’s being naive, Kay?

& Michael: My father’s way to do things is over. Even he knows that. I mean in five years the Corleone family is going to be completely legitimate. Trust me. That’s all I can tell you about my business.

& Fredo: Are you sure? Moe loves the business. He never said nothing about selling.
    Michael: I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse.

& Fredo: Mike, you don’t come to Las Vegas and talk to a man like Moe Greene like that!
    Michael: Fredo... You’re my older brother, and I love you... But don’t ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever.

& Don Corleone: Barzini will move against you first. He’ll set up a meeting with someone you absolutely trust. Guaranteeing your safety. And at that meeting you’ll be assassinated... I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I’m drinking more.
    Michael: It’s good for you, Pop.
    Don Corleone: I don’t know...

& Don Corleone: I hope you don’t mind the way I keep going over this Barzini business.
    Michael: No, not at all.
    Don Corleone: It’s an old habit. I spend my life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless, but not men.

& Michael: I’ll handle it. I told you I can handle it, so I’ll handle it.

& Don Corleone: I never wanted this for you. I worked my whole life. I don’t apologize for taking care of my family. And I refused to be a fool, dancing on a string held by all those big shots. I don’t apologize. That’s my life, but I thought that, that when it was your time, you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator Corleone. Governor Corleone. Something.
    Michael: Another pezzonovante.
    Don Corleone: Well... Just wasn’t enough time, Michael. Wasn’t enough time.
    Michael: We’ll get there, Pop. We’ll get there.

& Tom: I always thought it would be Clemenza, not Tessio.
    Michael: It’s the smart move. Tessio was always smarter.

& Priest: Michael, do you believe in God, the Father, Creator of Heaven and Earth?
    Michael: I do.
    Priest: Do you believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord?
    Michael: I do.
    Priest: Do you believe in the Holy Ghost, the Holy Catholic Church?
    Michael: I do.
    Priest: Michael Francis Rizzi, do you renounce Satan?
    Michael: I do renounce him.
    Priest: And all his works?
    Michael: I do renounce them.
    Priest: And all his pomps?
    Michael: I do renounce them.
    Priest: Michael Rizzi, will you be baptized?
    Michael: I will.
    Priest: Michael Rizzi, go in peace, and may the Lord be with you. Amen.

& Michael: Barzini is dead. So is Philip Tattaglia. Moe Greene. Strachi. Cuneo. Today I settle all family business, so don’t tell me you’re innocent, Carlo. Admit what you did.

& Michael: Don’t be afraid, Carlo. Do you think I’d make my sister a widow? I’m godfather to your son, Carlo.

& Michael: Only don’t tell me you’re innocent. Because it insults my intelligence. Makes me very angry.

& Michael: All right. This one time. This one time I’ll let you ask me about my affairs.
Is it true? Is it?
    Michael: No.

& Clemenza: Don Corleone.


--
+++ quotes on the IMDb

+ Soundtrack

Σ All the thing is one big quote. Really.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий