15 мар. 2013 г.

Atlas Shrugged II: The Strike

Atlas Shrugged: Part I

& Dagny: Who is John Galt? Who is John Galt?

& Dagny: Where are they, Eddie?
    Eddie: Who?
    Dagny: Anyone who could make a difference.
    Eddie: I’m sitting next to her.

& Dagny: The government took over the plant under Fair Share law and hasn’t produced a lump of coal. No coal, no contract. No contract, no load. No load, no line. This rail road doesn’t function as a charity,     Eddie. Kill the 93.

& Small: You know, Mr. Rearden, times have changed, we all have to be flexible. We can’t be tied down by rigid principles.
    Rearden: Try pouring a ton of steel without rigid principles!

& Cherryl: There’s something I want you to know, Dagny... I know how Jim has allowed you to treat him. How you’ve claimed credit for everything that he’s accomplished.
    Dagny: What you choose to believe is your business.
    Cherryl: I’m going to protect him from you. I’m the woman in this family now.
    Dagny: Oh, that’s quite all right. I’m the man.

& Dagny: Are you John Galt?
    d’Anconia: Not as you’d think of it.
    Dagny: I don’t know what to think. Is he even a man? Or an idea...
    d’Anconia: If you knew, what difference would it make?

& d’Anconia: So, you think that money is the rout of all evil. Have you ever asked yourself “what’s the root of money?..” Money is a tool that allows us to trade with one another. Your goods for mine, your efforts for mine. The keystone of civilization. Having money is not the measure of a man. What matters is how he got it. If he produced it by creating value, then his money is a token of an honor... But if he’s taken it from those who produce, then there is no honor. Then you’re simply a looter.
    — Señor d’Anconia, we all know that money is made by the strong at the expense of the weak.
    d’Anconia: Hmm. What kind of strength are you talking about? The power to create value?.. Or the ability to manipulate to extort money in back room deals, to exercise pull?
    James Taggart: All right. Just leave.
    d’Anconia: Hey. When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips, chains or dollars. Take your choice. There is no other. And your time is running out.


& Dr. Ferris: It’s very simple now. You deliver our order, accept our generous compensation. And you and Danagger don’t spend the next ten years in prison.
    Rearden: You seem pretty happy I violated one of your new laws.
    Dr. Ferris: That’s what laws are for, Mr. Rearden. If the right people don’t break them, they’re of no use whatsoever.

& Danagger: It’s a fine balance we have. You depend on my coal for power... to fill your hoppers. Hank uses my coal to make his steel. And we use his steel to shore up my mines and lay your rail. It’s perfect. Natural. Trading value for value.
    Dagny: Everybody wins.
    Danagger: Until something we can’t control poisons that balance. Then what do we do?

& d’Anconia: If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders... with blood running down his chest... Knees buckling, arms trembling, but still trying to hold up the world with the last of his strength, what would you tell him to do?
    Rearden: I don’t know. What would you tell him?
    d’Anconia: To shrug.

& Judge Beckstrom: ...With one count of violation of article 64 of the Fair Share law. Specifically, the illegal sale and transfer of 4,000 tons of strategic material known as “Rearden Metal” to Kenneth Danagger and Danagger Coal. How do you plead, sir?
    Rearden: I do not recognize this court’s right to try me. Nor do I recognize any of my actions as a crime.
    Beckstrom: Mr. Rearden, you will have to enter a plea before this court. Simply refusing to obey the law is not a defense.
    Rearden: If you believe you may seize my property simply because you need it, well, so does any burglar. The only difference is a burglar doesn’t ask my permission.
    Beckstrom: Sir, I will remind you the punishment this court might impose on you is severe.
    Rearden: Go ahead. Impose it. If you sentence me to jail, send armed men to get me. I will not volunteer to go. If you fine me, you’ll have to seize my assets. I will not volunteer to pay. If you feel you have the right to use force against me, then show it for what it is... Bring guns.
    Beckstrom: Sir, we have no intention of pointing guns and seizing your property.
    Rearden: Then why are we here?
    Judge Giesie: Mr. Rearden, you are misrepresenting the letter and the intent of the Fair Share law. It is based on the highest principle, the principle of the public good.
    Rearden: As defined by those who would dictate and regulate our behavior in our homes and our businesses, stealing their power from our liberty.
    Giesie: Mr. Rearden, you wouldn’t want it misunderstood that you work for nothing but your own profit?
    Rearden: Indeed. I want it understood clearly. I do not recognize the good of others as a justification for my existence. If their fair share demands that I get nothing for my labors, that it requires me to be a victim, then I say... Public good be dawned. I’ll have no part of it.
    Beckstrom: And how does that benefit your fellow man?
    Rearden: I do not owe you an answer, but I could tell you it a hundred ways. Thousands of jobs. Billions in revenue. Fueling our economy despite your efforts to destroy the very foundation of our existence. And I believe most of my fellow men would say the same if they had a voice.

& Rearden: You can’t win a battle that never ends. Look at this world... How can such small people do so much damage?

& Dagny: What happened there?
    Jeff: Well, Mr. Stames passed and his heirs took over. They wasn’t worth a lick. They had this big plan about how they were gonna run the place, and we were all gonna belong to each other, like a big family. And the idea was that everybody would work to best of his ability, but be paid according to his needs. That’s when John Galt stood up and said he’d have no part of it.
    Dagny: How would they know whose needs came first?
    Jeff: Now that is the rub, isn’t it? Yeah. It fell apart pretty quick. The best workers had to work harder and the needy got needier. Worker turned against worker.

& Dagny: Who are you?
    — I am John Galt.


--
On the IMDb

Σ Extremely weak. What matters here is Rand's words. Someone simply need to read the original.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий