22 нояб. 2021 г.

Men of Honor (2000)

Carl Brashear: I'll come back, help mow the hay.
Mac Brashear: Don't. Don't ever come back here. You get in there and fight, Carl. Don't take promises. Bust their old rules if you have to. And when it gets hard... and it will... don't quit on me. Ever.

Chief Floyd: A big future! Look here. I advise the next time you see this Navy recruiter, tell him to take whatever crystal ball he's lookin' through... and shove it directly up his ass.

Chief Floyd: I just got back from fightin'a war, makin' the whole world free for democracy. They still got me standin' here, slavin' over a hot grill next to you. There's only three choices a colored man's got in the U.S. Navy... Be in a cook. Officer's valet... or gettin' the fuck out of the Navy. Big future.

Carl Brashear: Sir, I am a Navy man. Where I come from, there are no oceans. Only dirt farms and ornery mules. And no self-respecting Navy man makes a living driving mules. Sir.
Billy Sunday: You know what the Chinese say, cookie? Beware what you wish for.

Billy Sunday: Are you familiar with the principle of Boyle's Law?!
Carl Brashear: The what?!
Billy Sunday: I didn't hear your answer. Come on, cookie. Get up. Boyle's Law states that, at a constant temperature, the volume of a confined ideal gas varies inversely with its pressure! Now why is this law important in divin'?
Carl Brashear: I don't know, Chief!
Billy Sunday: You ain't never gonna know, 'cause you're just some dumb dirt nigger from Podunk! I know you. Your sweet smell hung in every bunk and goddamn shack I ever lived in. Your nigger face stared at me every time we had to leave... 'cause your daddy could farm it cheaper than mine. Mine drank himself into a $7 casket, but that ain't gonna happen to me... because I'm a Master Diver! Maybe you'll remember that next time you imply we got anything in common! You read me, cookie?

Carl Brashear: Swim champion had half a chance.
Billy Sunday: He still does.
Carl Brashear: Permission to relieve him.
Billy Sunday: Claims he can hold his breath over four minutes. Hell, it ain't even been two. I believe Gunner's Mate Snowhill's a liar! Now we're men of honor, ain't we, cookie? We don't abide liars.

Jo: Why do you want this so badly?
Carl Brashear: Because they said I couldn't have it.

'Mr. Pappy': Did you know that ordinary house dust... is composed primarily of human skin?
Billy Sunday: No, sir, I didn't know that.
'Mr. Pappy': Makes you think twice about who you invite into your home.

'Mr. Pappy': Two table spoons of machine oil... can contaminate... an entire ship's fresh water supply. Some things just don't mix.

'Mr. Pappy': Billy... there may come a day when a colored diver graduates from this school, but it won't be tomorrow or as long as I'm here. You agree with me, of course. Don't you, Chief?

Carl Brashear: All I ever wanted to do was to make Master Diver.
Billy Sunday: All I ever wanted to do was stay one.

Hanks: Chief Decker, you are the Chief Master at Arms of this hospital, are you not?
Decker: Yes, sir.
Hanks: Then why is it you don't know where Chief Brashear is? He shouldn't be too hard to spot. He is the only Negro diver in the Navy, and he's got one leg.

Hanks: Senior Chief Brashear, one day the life of another diver may depend on you. Do you honestly feel that as a man... You're almost 40. You have one leg. Can you really keep up with healthy divers half your age?
Carl Brashear: The question is, sir, can they keep up with me?

Hanks: Senior Chief Brashear, the business of the modern Navy...
Carl Brashear: Forgive me, sir. But to me, the Navy is not a business. We have many traditions. In my career, I have experienced most of them. Some good, some bad. However, I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for our greatest tradition of all.
Hanks: And which one is that?
Carl Brashear: Honor, sir.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий