26 нояб. 2021 г.

Downton Abbey 4×6

Anna Bates: Penny for your thoughts?
John Bates: You'd pay twice that not to know them.
Anna Bates: If there was anything I could do...
John Bates: I know. It's not your fault, it's mine. Your husband is a breeder. And brooders brood.
Anna Bates: Then brood about me.

Mrs. Patmore: When you fall off a horse, you need a bit of time to get back in the saddle.

Isobel Crawley: How you hate to be wrong!
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: I wouldn't know. I am not familiar with the sensation.

Mr. Carson: You're nervous because you're intelligent, Alfred. Only stupid people are foolhardy.

Mrs. Patmore: What are you going to see?
James Kent: The Sheik.
Mrs. Patmore: Ooh, I like that Rudolph Valentino. Oh, he makes me shiver all over.
Mr. Carson: What a very disturbing thought.

John Bates: I'm happy whenever I look at you.

Joseph Molesley: ... I thought I'd look in to confirm my willingness to return to Downton.
Mr. Carson: Mr. Molesley, I am glad you are, as you put it, "willing." But I cannot feel the word expresses the kind of enthusiasm I'm looking for in a new footman.
Joseph Molesley: What?
Mr. Carson: When we last discussed it, you made it quite clear that you didn't wish to plunge down the ladder of preferment.
Joseph Molesley: I was... I was willing to.
Mr. Carson: As you keep saying, but I don't want to humiliate you. You feel you're meant for better things and I won't contradict you. Unfortunately, we have no higher place to offer in this house.
Joseph Molesley: I know, but I said...
Mr. Carson: And you have your pride, and I respect you for it. Good day, Mr. Molesley.

Isobel Crawley: I don't understand.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: No, if you wish to understand things, you must come out from behind your prejudice and listen.

Mr. Carson: Why have you come, then?
Joseph Molesley: Mrs. Hughes sent for me. She said that you had a big party tonight and it would be useful to Mrs. Patmore if I served the servants' tea.
Mr. Carson: What?
Mrs. Hughes: Mrs. Patmore has a lot to do. Mr. Molesley said he would help.
Mr. Carson: To serve the servants' tea?!

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: We can take it in our stride. We may be Yorkshiremen, but we do know a little of life in the city.

Lady Mary Crawley: I'm not unhappy. I'm just not quite ready to be happy.

Mr. Carson: Have you never thought of visiting Africa?
Jack Ross: And why should I go to Africa, Mr. Carson? I'm no more African than you are. Well, not much more. My people came over in the 1793.

Mrs. Hughes: Mr. Ross, you've uncovered something about the past that Mr. Carson doesn't approve of. Well done.
Mr. Carson: Not so fast, Mrs. Hughes. We led the world in the fight against slavery. Remember Lord Henley's judgment of 1763? "If a man sets foot on English soil, then he is free."

Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Isobel really appears to be coming out of the mist. I'm so pleased.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Don't be too pleased. Part of her recovery is going back into battle.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: If she's fighting for her causes again, that seems a good sign.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: A sign of what? That we should close the shutters and bar the door?
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: She likes to fight for what she believes in.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Oh, no, it is not a matter of what she likes. It is her fuel. Some people run on greed, lust, even love. She runs on indignation.

Tom Branson: It is a bit wild. Jazz at Downton Abbey.
Isobel Crawley: I think it's lovely. You see, Tom, things can happen at Downton that no one imagined even a few years ago. Take heart from that before you throw in the towel.

Evelyn Napier: Is this your first experience of jazz, Lady Grantham?
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Oh, is that what it is? Do you think any of them know what the others are playing?


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий