8 мар. 2019 г.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Buster Scruggs: A song never fails to ease my mind out here in the West, where the distances are great and the scenery monotonous. Additionally, my pleasing baritone seems to inspirit ol' Dan here and keep him in good heart during the day's measure of hoof clops. Ain't that right, Dan?

Curly Joe: You seen 'em, you play 'em.

Buster Scruggs: I'm not a devious man by nature, but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gotta be downright Archimedean... Yee-haw!

Buster Scruggs: I shoulda seen this coming. Can't be top dog forever.

Buster Scruggs: There's just gotta be a place up ahead where men ain't low down, and poker's played fair. If there weren't, what are all the songs about? I'll see y'all there. And we can sing together and shake our heads over all the meanness in the used to be.

Cowboy: Ever been robbed?

Cowboy: First time?

Alice Longabaugh: He would upbraid me for being wishy-washy. I never had his certainties. I suppose it is a defect.
Billy Knapp: I don't think it's a defect at all. Oh, no. Uncertainty... That is appropriate for matters of this world. Only regarding the next are we vouchsafed certainty... I believe certainty regarding that which we can see and touch, it is seldom justified, if ever. Down the ages, from our remote past, what certainties survive? And yet we hurry to fashion new ones. Wanting their comfort. Certainty... is the easy path. Just as you said.
Alice Longabaugh: "Straight is the gate..."
Billy Knapp: "...And narrow the way." Indeed... Indeed.


Lady: People are not the same. There are two kinds, utterly distinct.
Englishman: And what would those be, madame?
Frenchman: Lucky and unlucky?
Irishman: No, hale and frail. Difficult to knock to the floor, or wilting.
Lady: Those are not the two kinds. You well know the two kinds.
Trapper: One kind. Ain't no two kinds. Unless you mean trapper and townsman.
Lady: Upright and sinning.

Frenchman: We each have a life. Each a life only our own.
Lady: You know nothing of me or my domestic affairs!
Frenchman: I know that we must each spin our own wheel and play our own hand. I was once at cards with a man named Cipolski...

Frenchman: Life is life. Cards will teach you what you need to know.

Englishman: Mr. Thorpe up there, a typical case. I told him the story of the Midnight Caller. "Someone is outside, knocking. No, don't open it, mother. What living thing could be out in such a storm?..." You know the story, but people can't get enough of them, like little children. Because, well, they connect the stories to themselves, I suppose, and we all love hearing about ourselves, so long as the people in the stories are us, but not us. Not us in the end, especially.

Englishman: I must say... it's always interesting watching them after Clarence has worked his art, watching them negotiate... the passage.
Frenchman: Passage?
Englishman: From here to there. To the other side. Watching them... try to make sense of it as they pass to that other place... I do like looking into their eyes as they try to make sense of it. I do. I do.
Trapper: Try to make sense of what?
Englishman: All of it.
Lady: And do they ever... succeed?
Englishman: How would I know? I'm only watching.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий