20 февр. 2015 г.

The Judge

& Kattan: And how does it feel, Hank? Knowing every person you represent is guilty?
    Hank: It’s fine. Innocent people can’t afford me.

& — Yeah.
    Hank: «’Yeah’ is not an affirmation...»
    The Judge: «Yeah» is not an affirmation a man uses in court.
    — Yes, sir... Judge, Your Honor.

& The Judge: Listen to me. Ulysses S. Grant held this country together. Now, what’s he remembered for? Being a drunk. Ronald Reagan oversaw the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of the Cold War. But any discussion of his legacy ends with jelly beans, naps and Alzheimer’s.
    Hank: Reagan? Wow. With all due... I’m gonna say this as professionally and gently as I possibly can. You’re a civil servant in a corn-belt, Bible-banging backwater. Nobody, nobody, gives a rat’s ass about your legacy.
    The Judge: But do, you see. I do.


& Hank: Always on grass. Never on pavement. Won’t splash your shoes that way.
    C.P.: I don’t know what my problem is.
    Hank: You’re invested in your client. You feel the life in your hands. Both pass. Trust me.
    C.P.: .... I hope not.

& Dickham: You’re a shined-up wooden nickel, Mr. Palmer. A bully with a big bag of tricks. But unlike you, I have one simple belief: That the law is the only thing capable of making people equal. You may think Mark Blackwell was white trash, and he may very well have been... but in the eyes of the state, his life matters. I’m gonna impale your client on a first-degree murder charge. And you get a front-row seat.

& Hank: I went and saw Mom today... Where is she now?
    The Judge: Where...? Who?
    Hank: Where’s Mary? Do you think there’s something else? After we die?
    The Judge: You asking me if I believe in God?
    Hank: Do you?
    The Judge: I’m 72 with Stage 4 cancer. What choice do I have?

& Kattan: Do we expect an appeal?
    Hank: No. Ninety percent of the country believes in ghosts... less than a third in evolution. Thirty-five percent can... correctly identify Homer Simpson and the town in which he resides. Less than 1 percent knows the name Thurgood Marshall. But when you put 12 Americans together on a jury and you ask for justice... something just south of brilliance happens. Often as not, they get it right.

--
Quotes, The Judge (2014) | Robert Downey Jr. as Hank Palmer | Robert Duvall as Joseph Palmer | Vera Farmiga as Samantha Powell | Billy Bob Thornton as Dwight Dickham | Vincent D'Onofrio as Glen Palmer | Dax Shepard as C.P. Kennedy | Emma Tremblay as Lauren Palmer | Denis O'Hare as Doc Morris | David Krumholtz as Mike Kattan | dysfunctional familiy | father son conflict | courtroom | funeral | court | defense attorney

+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий