19 янв. 2011 г.

Mad Men 3x4

The Arrangements

Season 3, Episode 4


& Peggy: I want to move to Manhattan.
    Anita: Really? It's so far away.
    Peggy: It is far. And I commute almost two hours total every day, five days a week. That's an extra week of work each month.
    Anita: My goodness, I never thought of that. Pegs, the rents there... they're outrageous.
    Peggy: I know, but I'm already spending a fortune between subway fare, cab fare on late nights, pantyhose* if I can't find a newspaper, the cane on the seats destroys them. And it'll be easy with that savings and a roommate.
    Anita: Jeez louise*, you've been really thinking about this. {...} Are you going to be one of those girls?
    Peggy: I am one of those girls.


& Horace Cooke Jr.: I know this idea sounds crazy, but read your history. I've got a 50% chance at least.
{ Bazinga! }


& Don: I want to give you a piece of advice. I've been doing this awhile, and I applaud your enthusiasm. But I think you should take this decision a little more seriously.
    Pete: What are you saying, Don?
    Horace: No, let him... let him talk.
    Don: You have a great fortune. And that's not just money... that's the future. We will take all of your money, I promise you, but I think you should reevaluate this particular obsession. You can do better.
Horace: ... That's a sales technique, isn't it? You zig away from me, and I zag back into your arms. You know, I've got the galleys of this book by Ogilvy. I learned a lot about advertising.
    Don: Then why aren't you eating dinner with Ogilvy?
    Horace: 'cause Campbell talked me out of it. Now let's get one thing straight: if jai alai fails, it's your fault. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.
    Pete: Don't apologize. Everybody thinks that. Nobody says it.




& Peggy: What then? You'll give me some ideas, I'll use them and you'll all have an even bigger laugh?
    Joan: No, I thought I'd tell you how to get a roommate. This is — not the way.
    Peggy: ... Fine. Please, Joan, tell me how to do it.
    Joan: For one thing, why "Margaret"?
    Peggy: It's my name and it's more adult.
    Joan: But this is about two young girls in Manhattan. This is about an adventure. Am I wrong?.. If this were me, I would say something like... "fun-loving girl, responsible... sometimes. Likes to laugh. Lives to love. Seeks size 6 for city living. And general gallivanting*. No dull moments or dull men tolerated." Or something like that.


& Karen: You seem like someone I could really be friends with, not like the last girl.
    Peggy: Well, I'm fun. And I love to have... fun.


& Crane: It's true. It's not right. It doesn't make any sense. It looks right. It sounds right, smells right. Something's not right. What is it?
    Roger: It's not Ann-Margret.


& Peggy: Ma, I'm having problems with my apartment. My commute is very long and...
    Peggy's Mom: Oh, it doesn't mean nothing if you want to stay here with us. Your father and I lived with grandma and grandpa for years. Your sister was born there.
    Peggy: Ma, I'm getting an apartment in Manhattan.
    Mom: Oh. Well, that makes sense. Yeah, I guess I'm the kind of mother who would rather have a new TV than a daughter.
    Peggy: I got you a new TV because you needed one.
    Mom: You got me a new TV 'cause you think I was born yesterday. You belong in the city. Do you see this, Anita? This is what they do. Family is cheap. ... Someday both of you're gonna feel this. This... this broken heart I'm carrying. You'll get raped, you know that? ... There's a man, isn't there?



-- Dict:
pantyhose — колготки
Jeez louise: A saying when somebody says something and your shocked.
gallivanting = wander aimlessly in search of pleasure.


On Imdb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий